Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-26-2011, 09:33 AM   #71

So I was looking at this damage today and was wondering "do I really need to reframe this?" the wood isnt soft. I've also decided that the leaks are coming from the exhaust pipes. I wouldn't mind resealing the roof just so I can use the camper as a "shed" for my crafting till I get my hands on the title and so I can take off the tarp.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-05-2011, 07:02 AM   #72

You have inspired me to look for a camper that needs an overhaul.. I dont know why but Im so excited. I hopefully start work next week then i can look for camper that needs my tlc.. What I havent decided on is do I want a pull or truck camper/travel trailer... I dont have a car yet but want to rv full time so i'm guessing i dont want a pulll.. But i will do my research on here and figure it out.

Can wait to watch your project move along you go girl..
wormbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2011, 12:25 PM   #73

Thumbs up

I haven't read all the replies but good on ya for diving in and doing this project. It is so much fun to do and the pleasure of spending your first night and many after in something that you rebuilt yourself is completely worth it.
I did a camper a few years ago that had a pressure system. I messed with it for quiet a while. When it worked it was great, but it didn't always work. I tore it out and updated it to a pump style. Never had any trouble after that. As you build yours think about updating the systems so you have a trouble free build and camping.
Mtnbiker1096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2012, 10:47 AM   #74

Hi everyone! I know its been a LONG time but I gave my vin number to the state to begin the process of getting my title! If your in a situation like I am where your tearing down and rebuilding how about this for some ideas! I Love Trailers
Old 04-01-2012, 10:40 AM   #75

Replys and thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'll agree with the previous post concerning the pipe going through the closet area - I believe it is most likely a drain vent or one of your tank vents. You should have two black water vents. I'd suggest that the one you identify as a possible 'second black water tank' is actually a drain system vent. I'd suspect you have three vents (unless they any are tied together) - 1 drain vent 2 gray tank vent 3 black water tank vent. Of course I'm still assuming you have a separate black & gray tank. Have you confirmed how many tanks you have (disregarding metal fresh water tank)?
Now that I've educated myself a bit and actually tried to trace everything there is one white vent in the front for the sink, one black pipe in the back end closet and on that comes our near the shower near the ceiling I don't know where in comes down to the floor (I'm assuming in the wall next to the gatcho as for the holding tanks the only one I know of is probably underneath the toilet possibly another under the shower but I doubt it. there are no visible exterior tanks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wormbird View Post
You have inspired me to look for a camper that needs an overhaul.. I dont know why but Im so excited. I hopefully start work next week then i can look for camper that needs my tlc.. What I havent decided on is do I want a pull or truck camper/travel trailer... I dont have a car yet but want to rv full time so i'm guessing i dont want a pulll.. But i will do my research on here and figure it out.

Can wait to watch your project move along you go girl..
If you haven't DO IT I hope that this is the camper I get keep. and have a back up home
Quote:
OKAY!
So I've Decided to make a fancy To do list.
  1. Investigate the water Damage at:
    1. Exhaust vent
    2. skylights
    3. mysterious pipe that comes out of the floor in the closet goes into the ceiling(across the ceiling) down and out at the side of the shower
    4. near the door which occurred because the camper was unlevel and leaned low on the door side
    5. reseal the roof/ new ceiling vents
    6. take apart the interior (after investigating at somepoint there was a major mouse infestation they lived in the insulation and you can see where the canals where they would travel. so thats coming out as well as the carpets which annoyingly, are underneath all cabinets, glued directly to the floor.
    7. Check the water/LP system (after taking apart walls and such so I can see if there are leaks)
      1. all the pipes for the water are copper. Consider Changing water system and replace lines with Pvc?
      2. I don't like messing with LP I think I might have someone come out and check the lines for me (I know a few people that would be willing to come look)
    8. fix/reframe wire compartment ( severe water damage from accessory door being left open.
    9. begin redesigning someone earlier said that I need to either keep it all the same or do it how I want it. But I'm going to do both!

And thats as far as im going right now. This should keep me occupied wayy into september
Some new questions. don't laugh. im just making sure
  1. Do the interior walls that divide the living area to the bathroom provide a significant amount of support to the roof? I'm thinking about getting rid of the closet, back wall vanity and the sink and just walling off the toilet / shower. its just one of the ideas I have in mind
  2. I know I've asked before but how many of you actually use your oven? would one be okay without an oven? the one that is in there now is missing some pieces and some how mice also got in there (died) I've been looking into cooktops (ahead of myself but I need something to cure the itch while waiting for this guy to show up)
  3. Any guesses on the weight of this ol' gal? (her name is STELLA!)
As always thanks you guys for all you your wonderfull help
Old 04-01-2012, 10:31 PM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray View Post
Now that I've educated myself a bit and actually tried to trace everything there is one white vent in the front for the sink, one black pipe in the back end closet and on that comes our near the shower near the ceiling I don't know where in comes down to the floor (I'm assuming in the wall next to the gatcho as for the holding tanks the only one I know of is probably underneath the toilet possibly another under the shower but I doubt it. there are no visible exterior tanks.

If you haven't DO IT I hope that this is the camper I get keep. and have a back up home

Some new questions. don't laugh. im just making sure
  1. Do the interior walls that divide the living area to the bathroom provide a significant amount of support to the roof? I'm thinking about getting rid of the closet, back wall vanity and the sink and just walling off the toilet / shower. its just one of the ideas I have in mind
  2. I know I've asked before but how many of you actually use your oven? would one be okay without an oven? the one that is in there now is missing some pieces and some how mice also got in there (died) I've been looking into cooktops (ahead of myself but I need something to cure the itch while waiting for this guy to show up)Do you use an oven now where you live? You mentioned you might use this for back up housing...better to fix that now than later if that is the plan.
  3. Any guesses on the weight of this ol' gal? (her name is STELLA!) I like it!
As always thanks you guys for all you your wonderfull help
Old 04-02-2012, 08:43 AM   #77

i don't think any trailers have what we'd consider load bearing walls inside; they're built in a different "order" than stick-n-brick houses. the frame gets all the plumbing/electrical and gas; then a floor and carpet, then the internal fixtures; then the walls go on and the roof goes on. once it's a box, the upper cabinets go in, etc... now; that being said; any "box" can use more strength to resist twisting/collapsing, so some of the internal walls do help support the roof/outer walls, but not the same way as in a house. you could, while you have the inside cleared away, draw up a reinforcement bulkhead that you could install; extra bracing preferably near the largest openings in the sidewall, the door or picture window. this bulkhead need not be huge and ungainly; you're looking for torsional rigidity, not brute strength.
BTW: bravo to you for the job done so far. i feel that you're one of those resourceful folks who never have to call for help as long as you have some tools to work with.
raccoonman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 10:24 PM   #78

And now, for the news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
Your right. If im going to do this, I better do it the right way. Besides how else am I going to make cookies, or brownies or baked mac and cheese ::drool::

Quote:
Originally Posted by raccoonman View Post
......this bulkhead need not be huge and ungainly; you're looking for torsional rigidity, not brute strength.
BTW: bravo to you for the job done so far. i feel that you're one of those resourceful folks who never have to call for help as long as you have some tools to work with.
Thank you! It's nice having people to help. I know so much from people rather then the internet! Its like a huge puzzle and I want all the pieces! Today, I figured out that one of the ceiling vents is after market! I was so proud of myself.
I convinced my father to help me on the project! I gave him a tour and told him he should help me. the words Its a shame we cant put it in the driveway (his) and I knew he was hooked! Hes actually a carpenter with some strings he can pull at some local supply shops!
that being said, and with the help of him and my brother inlaw this project (as long as I get the title) will be a total restoration and redesign. he was already talking about updating the wiring
So now i'm thinking, if we decide to move a few things around would resealing the roof first be worthless if we might possibly have to change where the vent pipes are? or is "kool seal" or like products easy to remove once used?
Old 04-11-2012, 10:56 PM   #79

Vintage RV Owners Club
What I have read before is of people scraping and scraping and scraping the stuff off their roofs... so I don't know, but I'm guessing not so easy to remove.
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #80

Thats too cute. I can definitly see potential, if its a labor of love, and ya dont mind not exactly comin out ahead. But, who knows, ya might. Very very charming though. Good luck with yer admirable project! Sincerely, Sandy N John

I didnt know there is a "vintage club", awwwwwsome! Sandy
Mysticcherok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 12:34 PM   #81

Vintage RV Owners Club
So, Gfaanijray , how is it going with your dad helping? any update?
Old 04-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
I can offer no help either but I wish you well. The interior looks like it has great potential. I look forward to seeing it all pretty and running great.
texasdaisy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:47 AM   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartySQ View Post
So, Gfaanijray , how is it going with your dad helping? any update?
Currently, I am IMPATIENTLY waiting for the state to come out and get the vin number for the abandonment process untill I'm not puting any money into it
Old 04-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
smart move. thanks for the update.