Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-27-2011, 10:25 PM   #29

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
First I'd like to correct some misinformation that's been given. You do not have a gravity fed water system, .....
That was my original thought but wasn't very well expressed. I shouldn't said 'filled' and not 'fed'. Thanks for making the correction and the additional info.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2011, 10:40 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by goreds2 View Post
I like the old school interior. Keep it the way it is!
Im going to change a few things but most of its going to stay the same

Quote:
Originally Posted by greggholmes View Post
this is the diagram of a 74 water tank compressor

the Pic of the water fill is missing the pressure gauge.
I'm going to take better pictures of those two contraptions tomorrow. I have no clue what im looking at
Old 07-27-2011, 10:52 PM   #31

Also, I was thinking I REALLY think its a 74. is it safe to assume that. ill be uncovering the vin tomorrow but my guess is 74
Old 07-27-2011, 11:28 PM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray View Post
[*]mysterious pipe that comes out of the floor in the closet goes into the ceiling(across the ceiling) down and out at the side of the shower
That mysterious pipe is likely one of the vents for your waste tank or the drain side of your plumbing system.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:04 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
That mysterious pipe is likely one of the vents for your waste tank or the drain side of your plumbing system.

JP
yeah I had a ohhhh duh moment last night while I was watching those restoration videos makes more sense why they'd be leaking too
with that said, theres one that comes out of the floor in the closet, if i were to guess id say that its the fresh water tank. one next to the shower so that might be the.....black water tank? and one that comes up in the front next to the oven in the kitchen so another black water tank??
im also adding this picture of someone elses camper its the same set up just the fridge is no longer there
Old 07-28-2011, 10:38 AM   #34

I'll agree with the previous post concerning the pipe going through the closet area - I believe it is most likely a drain vent or one of your tank vents. You should have two black water vents. I'd suggest that the one you identify as a possible 'second black water tank' is actually a drain system vent. I'd suspect you have three vents (unless they any are tied together) - 1 drain vent 2 gray tank vent 3 black water tank vent. Of course I'm still assuming you have a separate black & gray tank. Have you confirmed how many tanks you have (disregarding metal fresh water tank)?
Old 07-28-2011, 10:46 AM   #35

Gfaanijray - Check this link out as to what you might expect when uncovering and rebuilding some of that water damage.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'll agree with the previous post concerning the pipe going through the closet area - I believe it is most likely a drain vent or one of your tank vents. You should have two black water vents. I'd suggest that the one you identify as a possible 'second black water tank' is actually a drain system vent. I'd suspect you have three vents (unless they any are tied together) - 1 drain vent 2 gray tank vent 3 black water tank vent. Of course I'm still assuming you have a separate black & gray tank. Have you confirmed how many tanks you have (disregarding metal fresh water tank)?
I haved not, i've spent some time starting to find the vin. Im starting to think its underneath the propane tank shelf im going to have to go and buy some more sanding pads damn thing ate through them. no sense in tearing pipes up if i cant even take the damn thing to a campsite lol
Love that rebuild site thanks!.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:34 PM   #37

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkgriswold View Post
I'm still assuming you have a separate black & gray tank. Have you confirmed how many tanks you have (disregarding metal fresh water tank)?
The picture of his sewer hookup shows a single waste valve, so I'd consider he has a combined gray/black system; its unlikely there would be 2 separate sewer hookups.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 03:17 PM   #38

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Chief View Post
The picture of his sewer hookup shows a single waste valve, so I'd consider he has a combined gray/black system;
I agree. The trailer is from the era of pressure water systems and single waste tanks. The single waste valve tends to confirm that. A trailer from that era with separate gray and black tanks would be very unusual.

JP
Old 07-28-2011, 11:42 PM   #39

Appalachian Campers
Send a message via Yahoo to W4RLR
Advice I can give is get a copy of Livingston's RV Repair and Maintenance, I would consider it the bible of RV maintenance and repair.

Personally I would lose the pressurized air water system and go with a demand pump. Relatively speaking they are not that expensive, and servicing that dinosaur you have now may get harder to do, although such systems are used in rural well systems to this day. But that tank is HEAVY. Plastic tanks are much lighter, and again, relatively cheap.

Your trailer is not a lost cause, especially if you strip the interior down to the framework and get whatever critters may be in there out. From the pictures, it looks like the lauan paneling has been water damaged, get rid of it, go to Lowe's or HD and get 1/4 inch lauan plywood and stain to match. Paint more of those panels to replace the ceiling that might be in poor shape.

Good luck on getting the VIN and the title. You have a great project there that will give you great satisfaction and a rolling piece of RV history when you are done.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
W4RLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 01:13 AM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rray32539 View Post
Advice I can give is get a copy of Livingston's RV Repair and Maintenance, I would consider it the bible of RV maintenance and repair.

Personally I would lose the pressurized air water system and go with a demand pump. Relatively speaking they are not that expensive, and servicing that dinosaur you have now may get harder to do, although such systems are used in rural well systems to this day. But that tank is HEAVY. Plastic tanks are much lighter, and again, relatively cheap.

Your trailer is not a lost cause, especially if you strip the interior down to the framework and get whatever critters may be in there out. From the pictures, it looks like the lauan paneling has been water damaged, get rid of it, go to Lowe's or HD and get 1/4 inch lauan plywood and stain to match. Paint more of those panels to replace the ceiling that might be in poor shape.

Good luck on getting the VIN and the title. You have a great project there that will give you great satisfaction and a rolling piece of RV history when you are done.
Thanks so much. Actually Has anyone heard of putting Azek on the ceiling? My fathers a carpenter so I can score some panels here and there.....and for anyone that doesnt know that is and just wants to comment for ideas sake its like a plastic paneling. the only thing im afraid of is if the roof began to leak again i wouldnt know and might miss the early warnings. so its an iffy situation might stick with wood panels. as for the dinosaur I'm pretty sure I want to get rid of it as im getting to the point where I'm going to get a new car. since im a girl and all I think getting this camper means ill get a truck so the less weight in the camper the lighter duty the truck needs to be. I cant keep the car clean anyway. less seats=less cleanup. just to Restate I AM A GIRL AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING sorry if i sound slow at times
Does anyone know anything about the effing screws hold everything in place?! I tried taking the dinette away from the wall so I can see the damage on the tongue wall and the screws kill three of my bits. I figured I'd rage about them here see theres a fancy name for them when i get to lowes this weekend. the screw top kinda looks like a square with the left and right sides rounded and the top and bottom sides straight so erm. like this (=)
Old 07-29-2011, 02:15 AM   #41

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Does anyone know anything about the effing screws hold everything in place?! I tried taking the dinette away from the wall so I can see the damage on the tongue wall and the screws kill three of my bits. I figured I'd rage about them here see theres a fancy name for them when i get to lowes this weekend. the screw top kinda looks like a square with the left and right sides rounded and the top and bottom sides straight so erm. like this (=)
It's called a clutch head screw. Real common on old GM cars and vintage RVs. They are pretty much obsolete, and it's unlikely Lowe's will have the correct screwdriver. Find a real tool store, or go to Sears tool department. I'm sure they're still available from Craftsman(by special order), but unless you get an older, seasoned tool salesman they probably won't have a clue what you're talking about. Ask for a clutch head screwdriver and they'll probably look at you like you're from another planet. I call it "the alien stare." Seems to me I saw some in an Ace Hardware store a year or so ago. They're around, you just have to search.
Attached Images

Old 07-29-2011, 02:44 AM   #42

Monaco Owners Club
Bravissimo!!

Quote:
Heres my starting questions...

First, you might be distracted by proposals of marriage; don't let that deter you from your mission. It's touching to see a young person happily take on such a task; when you're female, all the more compelling.

Bravo, for taking this on. You'll find no shortage of help, here.

Coachmen RV says the VIN should be mounted on the front lower roadsidecorner of a Travel Trailer ...

Water damage should be felt by pressing on the wall surfaces: wrinkling, bulging, or portions easily crushed have water damage underneath.

From Coachmen:

WATER SYSTEM MAINTENANCE AND TROUBLESHOOTING As with any mechanical system, your plumbing is subject to the development of problems. Most ofthese problems can be greatly reduced, if not eliminated, by following a schedule of planned inspections and maintenance. Neglect of proper maintenance procedures is the usual cause ofmost water system problems.Road vibrations and shocks, as well as excessive pressure from some city water sources are themain physical causes of water system damage. It is important to inspect all plumbing joints and fittings often, for cracks and leaks. If left unchecked, water leaking from a plumbing joint can causeconsiderable damage . A leak in the fresh water system should be suspected if the pump is running and all faucets andvalves are closed. When the leaking fitting has been identified, attempt to stop the leak by tighteningthe fitting. DO NOT over tighten. Plastic fittings rarely need to be tightened with a wrench. If thesefittings leak after tightening by hand disconnect the fitting and check for dirt, scale, or other foreignsubstances which may be causing the leak. Clean the fitting thoroughly and reinstall. If leakingpersists, shut off the water supply until the fitting can be properly replaced. Check with your dealerfor the correct method of replacement and replacement parts.Proper winterization procedures of plumbing systems will normally be all that is necessary to prevent the damage caused by freezing. Freezing damage can harm any component of the system,including the water tank/s, toilet, pump and all piping. Be sure to follow the winterization proceduresoutlined in this manual. Also be sure to discuss with your dealer or repair center, any additional precautions that should be taken, to winterize your RVs plumbing system. Local climatesvary andwinter maintenance needs may be effected.Be sure to read the literature supplied with plumbing components, such as the water pump, fortroubleshooting tips. Also remember that it is possible for an electrical problem to cause water system problems. Lack of power to the pump can be caused by a variety of reasons. If you are unsure of how to locate and/or repair a plumbing problem, it is best to have your dealeror a qualified plumber who is familiar with the RV water system, to inspect the system and performany repairs needed.

Good luck, and keep us all informed.
RVNeophytes2 is offline   Reply With Quote