Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-29-2011, 03:25 AM   #43

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
It's called a clutch head screw.
Your my new best Friend theres a true value down the street I'll start there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVNeophytes2 View Post
First, you might be distracted by proposals of marriage; don't let that deter you from your mission. It's touching to see a young person happily take on such a task; when you're female, all the more compelling.
Sorry boys I'm taken
Quote:
Coachmen RV says the VIN should be mounted on the front lower roadsidecorner of a Travel Trailer ...
so.... on the tongue driver side closer to the trailer or hitch? top or on the lateral side? I got a little paint off today. no signs of letters or numbers; stupid vin.

Quote:
Water damage should be felt by pressing on the wall surfaces: wrinkling, bulging, or portions easily crushed have water damage underneath.
Yeah. I'm past the feeling up the camper. when I'm finished I'll have enough damaged panels to keep a campfire going for a week or so, and that's what I plan to do with it.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-29-2011, 07:39 AM   #44

Hey, I have been following along and wanted to offer you my moral support for being a trooper to tackle your project. Im restoring my old camper now with lots of water damage. Seeing others such as yourself tackle projects gives me inspiration. Because I despise working with wood! LOL
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:41 AM   #45

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray View Post
just to Restate I AM A GIRL AND HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I'M DOING sorry if i sound slow at times
You rock, girl!

Your biggest asset is that you DO NOT have the male mindset that makes it sooooo difficult for guys to admit they are incompetent in some area, and beg for the help they need

You go ahead and ask, and then listen carefully to the advice you are given, and you can do this trailer with grace and beauty.

What you don't already know, you will learn, and all the expertise you need is here on this board.

Best of luck
Allison

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:22 AM   #46

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm continuing to lurk around on this thread because I'm in the same situation. (although I'm not 21, a little older than that) I am a chick with a trailer I know nothing about and it definitely needs to be restored/rebuilt. So I keep coming back to see your questions and the advice you get. This place is great! So glad I found it. I can't wait to see more of your pictures during and then finally that beautiful after shot! Stick around. I'm a fan.
New2Vintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:31 AM   #47

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Vintage View Post
I'm continuing to lurk around on this thread because I'm in the same situation. (although I'm not 21, a little older than that) I am a chick with a trailer I know nothing about and it definitely needs to be restored/rebuilt. So I keep coming back to see your questions and the advice you get. This place is great! So glad I found it. I can't wait to see more of your pictures during and then finally that beautiful after shot! Stick around. I'm a fan.
In case you ladies aren't already members, check out Trailer Chix.

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:09 AM   #48

When a Woman can call a parts store AND CONFUSES THEM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurmudgeon View Post
It's called a clutch head screw.
So Yeah I called the true value and the response I got back on the phone was Yeah we only have Phillips and flat head bits that was brilliant. the Fishers auto part store thats 30 mins away has them. I'm just going to order online. ill just have to tear the wood panels out then go for moving all the benches and what not. I'm going to assume that the cabs are held in the same way?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:17 AM   #49

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by New2Vintage View Post
I am a chick with a trailer I know nothing about and it definitely needs to be restored/rebuilt.
This Is DEFF where you need to be. I've learned more on here then I did with two months of research on my own. Its alot easier to Take LOTS of pictures and have a few people Explain to you what the hell your looking at. If your doing some severe rebuilding I highly suggest watching the RV series Mark's RV garage. He completely redoes a yellowstone which was awesome for me because there's not to much info about my camper. Just make sure you know how to meditate when frustrated. I got so P'od the other night over something so silly sometimes you just need to step back lol I'd love to follow you also. Do you have a thread?
Old 07-29-2011, 01:31 PM   #50

Alas! A small bit of progress!! I checked out the two places in the walls that I was most concerned about. It seems to be not to bad.....in the walls at the least.

Spot number 1 was the windows above the tongue of the trailer. the right side window was left open this past winter season. the window will need to be reframed but as for the surrounding frame it seems to be ok and i'm pretty sure I can do this with out taking the metal shell off.
Spot#2 was the wall to the right of the door
I tore out a small sample of wall to I can see frame from the cabinet above to the bench as low as a could and guess what?! NO WATER DAMAGE.......in the wall.
Im super afraid that most of the water damage may be in the floor; However, Its right next to the door and floor seems to be in really good shape.
Also, most of the insulation ive pulled so far out shows no signs of critters. WOOO!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:19 PM   #51

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gfaanijray
Alas! A small bit of progress!! I checked out the two places in the walls that I was most concerned about. It seems to be not to bad.....in the walls at the least.

Spot number 1 was the windows above the tongue of the trailer. the right side window was left open this past winter season. the window will need to be reframed but as for the surrounding frame it seems to be ok and i'm pretty sure I can do this with out taking the metal shell off.
Spot#2 was the wall to the right of the door
I tore out a small sample of wall to I can see frame from the cabinet above to the bench as low as a could and guess what?! NO WATER DAMAGE.......in the wall.
Im super afraid that most of the water damage may be in the floor; However, Its right next to the door and floor seems to be in really good shape.
Also, most of the insulation ive pulled so far out shows no signs of critters. WOOO!
Good work, keep it up
Old 07-29-2011, 03:00 PM   #52

First of all, I would suggest that if you tackle the propane system, don't run the water heater for very long without water in it.

Hopefully your VIN is stamped deeply into a STEEL plate rather than lightly stamped into an aluminum one; it would be quite easy to erase the very info you're seeking if it IS the softer metal. I wonder if a chemical stripper might be called for once you locate it instead of abrasives...

While my RV isn't quite as old as yours, it IS almost 30 years old and some of the ID tags on my appliances are really difficult to read due to corrosion..
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #53

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuge View Post
First of all, I would suggest that if you tackle the propane system, don't run the water heater for very long without water in it.

Hopefully your VIN is stamped deeply into a STEEL plate rather than lightly stamped into an aluminum one; it would be quite easy to erase the very info you're seeking if it IS the softer metal. I wonder if a chemical stripper might be called for once you locate it instead of abrasives...

While my RV isn't quite as old as yours, it IS almost 30 years old and some of the ID tags on my appliances are really difficult to read due to corrosion..
there is metal tag attatched to the trailer by two screws please tell me that that's not where it's suppose to be.....there's no numbers or any sign of numbers on it......
Old 07-29-2011, 11:18 PM   #54

ONWARD!

okay. so afterwork all I could think of was how the hell to get the cabinets down. so i went out to the pump house to find a crowbar which its dark and couldnt see so i found this hammer with wedges on both sides. it worked great till i broke it. so then i hunted around and found this giant metal bar with a wedge on the end and went back to work and got my first cab down!

Old 07-30-2011, 09:33 AM   #55

Quote:
there is metal tag attatched to the trailer by two screws please tell me that that's not where it's suppose to be.....there's no numbers or any sign of numbers on it......
I JUMPED straight from tent and canoe camping to a 32' RV; it's my first and only camper so I can't really help with those specifics. An earlier post did say your tag should be on the front lower roadside (passenger side) of the camper body itself, I believe...

On the other hand I am a maintenance man by trade and do know appliances and a lot about electrical and electronic systems and try to chime in when I feel I can be of help. I only wish you lived closer, looks like a fun project!! LOL!!
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #56

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
If the tag is attached to the body of the trailer somewhere, it is not likely to be the VIN plate. The VIN should be on the chassis, and will probably be stamped directly into the chassis or on a plate welded to the chassis.

JP
Kurmudgeon is offline   Reply With Quote