Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #1

mystery engine fan

I've been charging the old Winnie's A/C ('93 Warrior) with R134a when I noticed something a bit odd. It has an electric fan in front of the radiator. The engine driven fan is, of course, behind the radiator and it works fine. During the charging process, which took a while since I had never done it before, the engine got rather warm. It always stays at 180 degrees on the highway however while charging the A/C it got up to over 200. That fan never came on. A few weeks ago I was stuck in traffic on I-95 just north of Miami and the engine temperature kept getting hotter and hotter. It was right at red line when the traffic finally started moving. I don't think the fan came on but I don't know for sure. So, does anyone know if that fan is a factory issue thing or is it some sort of add on someone did years ago? It seems its fan blades might restrict the airflow somewhat.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-22-2012, 10:29 AM   #2

That would be an add on and should either be temp activated or may have a switch on the dash or thereabouts

Old 07-22-2012, 01:19 PM   #3

Thanks for the info trackman. There's no switch on the dash. I thought it looked a little hinky setting there in front of the radiator.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:00 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
It could be an add-on, could be for the AC and come on when the AC is on as most do.. Since you said it did not come on while charging (I assume the AC was on), then its either bad, or temperature switched. Trace back the wires and you should come to a solenoid. Trace the solenoid's coil wires and you should find a thermoswitch in a coolant line or radiator. Check that this works..

Your engine driven fan is also not working. Replace the fan clutch...
Old 07-22-2012, 02:07 PM   #5

Condenser fan. My '87 Southwind has 2 and my '90 tracker has one. The Tracker comes on whenever the AC is on OR when the coolant gets to _ degrees. The SW comes on whenever I flick the self added switch.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 07:17 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonDee View Post
Condenser fan. My '87 Southwind has 2 and my '90 tracker has one. The Tracker comes on whenever the AC is on OR when the coolant gets to _ degrees. The SW comes on whenever I flick the self added switch.
\
\
Ditto our '89 Southwind. It has a pair of electric fans in front of the radiator as well. Originally turned on by a sensor in the block, now activated by a switch on the dash. Great for low-speed, stop and go running.\

Senior Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #7

Thanks folks. I guess I'm going to have to trace it down and add a switch to it.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:07 PM   #8

Chevrolet added an electric fan from the factory to the chassis, that comes on when the dash A/C is turned on. It is only an assist to the mechanical fan on the engine. The mechanical fan has a clutch on it, and I can almost guarantee the fan clutch has failed, and, if the dash air is turned on and the electric fan is not running, either the motor has failed or the relay and/or fuse is bad. You should be able to hear the mechanical fan engage and disengage as you're running down the road... it will roar a bit till the engine comes back down in temperature, and then will get quiet again. If you aren't hearing this, it has failed. To check the fan clutch, slide the engine cover back, start the engine. After a one minute, turn the engine off and watch the fan. If it spins more than 3/4 of a turn after you shut the engine off, it's bad. Please feel free to PM me if you'd like to discuss it in more depth.
rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:54 AM   #9

I don't have any blown fuses. I don't know about a relay. Here's the full story of my A/C saga. The A/C stopped working shortly after starting a 6 day trip to S. Florida. I had to run the genny and the roof top A/C the rest of the trip. When I got back I started troubleshooting. I soon discovered that there was no pressure in the A/C line. I then discovered that the compressor was not engaging.

I ran a separate wire to the compressor through a switch. I started the engine, engaged the compressor and discovered I still had no pressure in the A/C lines. While charging the A/C I noticed the electric fan wasn't running. When the A/C was converted to the new stuff over 2 years ago the guy who did it put 48 oz in it. I put about 38 oz in and, as of yesterday, I have cool air coming out the vents. The air doesn't seem to be as cold as it once was but that's just idling. The business with this electric fan has me a little concerned since I'm planning a 2 week trip next week. I certainly don't want the engine overheating. As for the engine fan clutch I'll check that however I've run the engine with the cover off and the air coming out at idle is enough to blast the hairs off your head.
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 AM   #10

I had a 1988 Motorhome on a Chevrolet chassie. It came with two fans in front of the radiator. They worked off pressure on the ac system, they would sometimes run for a minute or two after shutting the engine down. I agree with what someone else stated earlier, you should hear the engine fan engauge. The first time my fan came on I started to pull over, it was a roar. I changed my fan clutch at least once while I had the motorhome.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:14 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The fan is normally controlled by a relay.. The relay may need a replacement.

It also may have a dedicated fuse... Likewise it may need a replacement.

And last, the fan could be.. defective and need a replacement.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:45 AM   #12

Anyone know where I can get a wiring diagram?
Old 07-23-2012, 11:48 AM   #13

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
I don't have any blown fuses. I don't know about a relay. Here's the full story of my A/C saga. The A/C stopped working shortly after starting a 6 day trip to S. Florida. I had to run the genny and the roof top A/C the rest of the trip. When I got back I started troubleshooting. I soon discovered that there was no pressure in the A/C line. I then discovered that the compressor was not engaging.

I ran a separate wire to the compressor through a switch. I started the engine, engaged the compressor and discovered I still had no pressure in the A/C lines. While charging the A/C I noticed the electric fan wasn't running. When the A/C was converted to the new stuff over 2 years ago the guy who did it put 48 oz in it. I put about 38 oz in and, as of yesterday, I have cool air coming out the vents. The air doesn't seem to be as cold as it once was but that's just idling. The business with this electric fan has me a little concerned since I'm planning a 2 week trip next week. I certainly don't want the engine overheating. As for the engine fan clutch I'll check that however I've run the engine with the cover off and the air coming out at idle is enough to blast the hairs off your head.
The condenser not engaging and fan not not turning is a clue. Both get the same signal from the same source...
Old 07-23-2012, 12:15 PM   #14

"As for the engine fan clutch I'll check that however I've run the engine with the cover off and the air coming out at idle is enough to blast the hairs off your head."

This is entirely possible, even when the clutch has failed. Sometimes the clutch will engage at idle, sometimes it won't. Check it as I described in my first post. Personally, I choose to run the genset and roof a/c's... it cools the entire coach, and I find it uses less fuel, as well as putting less heat onto the cooling system of the engine.

rvguy40 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fan