Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:18 PM   #1

Need 1982 Winnebago Ignition switch

I am a new owner of a 1982 27 foot Winnebago Chieftain. When I bought it I had to use a screwdriver to start it because the key-lock cylinder was removed. The issue is that the switch rotates in the dash so you have to hold it to rotate the switch to start it. I am thinking it needs a new switch but have no idea where to start looking It is a Chevy chassis with a 454, Because of it's age I am thinking this wont be so easy, so if anyone can help point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance

Joe

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2010, 11:26 AM   #2

Mid Atlantic Campers
Does it look something like this : AutoZone.com | | Ignition Switch | IGNITION STARTER SWITCH

You should be able to find that switch at just about any aftermarket parts store.

Old 06-20-2010, 12:01 PM   #3

Newbies helping newbies, I love it!! Welcome to both of you.

The 82 Chief is on a GM P30 chassis IIRC, probably an 81 chassis. The P30 designation might help the Chevy parts guy find you the switch. I'd number all the wires/spades w/tape then take the old one along to the parts place.
As an alternative, try googling 'RV salvage' and follow the links.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:30 PM   #4

Mid Atlantic Campers
Thanks! I've been a lurker for a long time, just never got around to registering until lately.
Anyway, glad I could help!
As I remember, those dash switches where all pretty generic, I'd say the part number will most likely be the same for the C,K,G and P series. Good luck!
Old 06-21-2010, 10:25 PM   #5

Thank You I will pull the switch and check it and try to resolve why the switch rotates in the dash, since the original switch works just cant get the keylock cylinder back in so the screwdriver is the only option right now and I want to fix it. At least I have a starting point now Thanks All
Old 06-22-2010, 12:33 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlkilpatrick View Post
Thank You I will pull the switch and check it and try to resolve why the switch rotates in the dash, since the original switch works just cant get the keylock cylinder back in so the screwdriver is the only option right now and I want to fix it. At least I have a starting point now Thanks All
Please disconnect the battery before removing the switch, Lotsa hot wires to contend with.....
A good to great locksmith should be able to repair the switch.

Jim
Old 06-22-2010, 07:55 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
You'll see why the whole switch turns in the dash when you take it out, there is a nut on the front and back side of the dash that holds it in place, I have had to tighten mine up before. Disconnecting the battery is also very good advice.
There should just be one big electrical plug that goes on the back of the switch. It's not a hard fix to replace, just usually extremely hard to get to.
Good luck and hope you get it fixed soon!