Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-01-2012, 05:44 PM   #1

Need a cruise control

My '93 22' Winnie Warrior has an aftermarket cruise control that doesn't work. The control handle is exactly like this one:

Chevy Truck '88-'94

I went to a business that is on their list as installers and they told me that it worked on vacuum rather than electric so there was nothing they could do with it. I then asked them to install a new cruise control and they said they couldn't do it because the RV was too unlike the '93 Chevy truck platform. I recall installing 2 cruise controls many years ago. One was on an '82 Mercury Lynx and the other was on an '87 Mazda B2200 pickup. IIRC, they both had a plastic donut that fit around the coil wire and counted pulses. When I pressed the set button inside it operated a linear actuator type motor on the throttle. Anyway I didn't disagree with the service manager. I just left.

Anyway, does anyone know of an aftermarket cruise control that has been installed on an old Winnie Warrior with a Chevy 454? If so, can you please provide some details?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-01-2012, 06:13 PM   #2

I had issues with mine for years. It was an aftermarket. Here is the link to the thread on RV.net
Woodalls Open Roads Forum: Tech Issues: Any technical cruise control experts out there?
Old 06-01-2012, 06:20 PM   #3

Thanks for the response and link. That gives me a few things to check.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:26 PM   #4

There are replacements units out there, Like..... Aftermarket Cruise Control, Daytime Running Lights and Hands-free Bluetooth by Rostra It can be a little pricey. That's why I tore mine apart, Nothing ventured nothing gained
Old 06-01-2012, 06:46 PM   #5

I sent Rostra an email.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:55 AM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
IF your rig is a gasser, or if it has a vacuum pump for HEVAC control then the regular automotive crusie control systems will work.

Switches are the same for all.

If you have a Diesel with compressed air.. I am not able to advise since I have never examined one of those systems or researched or seen one "on paper" or had any contact with them.
Old 06-02-2012, 06:51 PM   #7

When I pulled off the front of the modulator the rheostat was right there. When the modulator goes in and out the shaft has a twist in it. Because of the twist it rotates the rheostat to indicate where it is at. With mine the rheostat was oxidized so much there was no contact being made so it did not work at all. Electronic contact cleaner sprayed into it was all it took to fix it. I followed it up with a product called Engage by American Drummond that lubricates it and helps it from oxidizing again. I just looked and the only name I could find was OEM REPLICA SERIES made by ARA Manufacturing.
Old 06-03-2012, 08:24 PM   #8

I have a cruise control in a box that I bought for my 1992 Astro Van. My wife could not ride in the van so I sold that and still have the cruise. I started to install and then didn'tgo any farther so I just put it all back in the box. I got mine from JC Whitney.
Old 06-06-2012, 03:45 PM   #9

Ahhhh, I now have a cruise control. It cost $535 but it was worth it to me. A couple of 300 mile trips showed me that my foot, ankle and shin just couldn't hack it. I haven't been without a cruise control for over 30 years. Now I can start planning some 900+ mile trips.