Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 08-28-2011, 04:16 PM   #1
Question Need advice regarding flooring repairs+ :)

Hello all! I am a newbie to all of this- rv ownership, this site, repairing flooring, you name it I am clueless. Hahaha. Ok,ok... so maybe not that bad but I am in need of some advice from anyone that has at least some experience with this stuff.

We have just purchased an 87 Winnebago chieftain that is in some what rough shape. We are not planning on using this for much more than occasional camping trips up the coast or to the desert. We got such a deal, $1500- we just couldnt pass it up. 43000mi, just about new trans w/only 8000 miles on it. Runs great! We are very happy. Until i go inside and get transported back into 1987 decor hell. Haha. But I will tackle that just as soon as I take care of the few "issues" this beauty has. The flooring first off. YUCK city. The previous owner ripped out the carpeting and put peel & stick down. I want pergo or something similar. It is pretty obvious before even removing the tile that there is some water damage below them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0746 (960x1280).jpg
Views:	69
Size:	597.6 KB
ID:	13364 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0743 (1280x960).jpg
Views:	67
Size:	575.8 KB
ID:	13363

I am wondering the best/most affordable/easiest way to tackle this. Should I remove all the tiles & try and patch the subflooring? Or should I just lay plywood over whats there and put my flooring over that? Or can you give me some new suggestions? Because as I said earlier I am clueless!!!

Another issue I am tackling is the fridge. It is a Norcold but it is out of commission. Something about ammonia leaking from it and needing a new motor or soomething? Regardless, I would like to replace it with a much cheaper dorm fridge/freezer. I dont need it to be a 2or3 way. Not planning on any boondocks camping. Plain ol electricity is a-ok with me. Do any of you have any suggestions on installation, ventilation, etc??

I have attached some before pics so you can see what I have to work with. Any other suggestions that would make life easier would be greatly appreciated. Thanks guys & I look forward to updating you all on my progress.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0740.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	13365   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0748.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	209.1 KB
ID:	13366  

Name:	IMG_0739.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	227.4 KB
ID:	13367   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0742.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	217.1 KB
ID:	13368  

chillona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2011, 04:46 PM   #2
Chill, best fix all that Rot , it won't get any better ... and you may want to thoroughly seal /waterproof the New subfloor, to prevent that from ever happening again ... Have you looked for the cause of the water , leaky pipe perhaps ???
Dorm Fridge is a great idea ... very reasonably priced , easily replaced ... !!! I got one , 5 years , still running ... and when not being used in the camper , does double duty (multitasking) inside to chill the wife's fermented grape juice ...

GPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:39 PM   #3

Thats what I was thinking. I dont want to "paint a turd" as they say. Is it possible to just patch it though? Or am I going to have to replace the whole thing? If it didnt have any of the built-ins it would be easy enough. I could absolutly replace the whole subfloor no problem. I am nervous that the rotted areas arent over a framed area on the floor if I try and patch it. But I have no idea what the floor framing looks like or how to figure that out. If i do have to remove it all, I know how to get the toilet removed. But I am not sure how to go about removing the sink, bed, cabinets or dinette. So uh, pretty much everything on the ground. lol.

I told you, clueless. Hahaha! Scariest part is I am doing it all myself! Muahahaha! HELP???
chillona is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:39 PM   #4
Vintage RV Owners Club
You could use a soaking epoxy Wood preservation, rot repair, and restoration using epoxy resin on boats and homes.
Not the perfect fix but it'd be better than nothing.
Peter_Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote