Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-01-2011, 09:27 PM   #1

Vintage RV Owners Club
Need help! Air intake i think!?!

Was driving to the campsite today(had a little extra vacation time) and 74 superior on dodge chassiss kept dying, it's only ten miles so didn't freak out to much. Seemed like it wasn't getting fual but when i pulled over it ran just fine. Pulled the doghouse off checked all fluids and everything was good. Decided to go the rest of the way without the doghouse on, holy hot, and no prob's what so ever. thinking it's not getting enough air cause air intakes have no flow to them, doghouse kinda blocks it all. Air filter is brand new. i don't drive to far(yet) for camping so can i run without the air intake around the filter just the cover? whats a good permanat solution to this prob and has anybody had this happen to them?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-02-2011, 01:58 PM   #2

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to The General
Rocky,

I've had this problem and it turned out to be the old rubber fuel hoses.
Check from stem to stern because the real problem can be the hose under Rv to inside gas tank.

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJ View Post
Was driving to the campsite today(had a little extra vacation time) and 74 superior on dodge chassiss kept dying, it's only ten miles so didn't freak out to much. Seemed like it wasn't getting fual but when i pulled over it ran just fine. Pulled the doghouse off checked all fluids and everything was good. Decided to go the rest of the way without the doghouse on, holy hot, and no prob's what so ever. thinking it's not getting enough air cause air intakes have no flow to them, doghouse kinda blocks it all. Air filter is brand new. i don't drive to far(yet) for camping so can i run without the air intake around the filter just the cover? whats a good permanat solution to this prob and has anybody had this happen to them?

2007 Saturn Vue RedLine
The General is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #3

Its vapour locking because the fuel lines r getting too hot...some how get the heat out of that area.....get some air flow through there... or heat tape the fuel lines to reflect some of the heat...
Old 09-06-2011, 09:57 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your problem is not lack of air.. If you had bad air flow it would run fine at idle, and perhaps up to say 20 MPH, but when you put your foot in it it would stumble and die.

NOTE this can be caused by fuel issues as well (Been there, both places)

I won't comment on the above suggestions.. Just the air intake is NOT the problem.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

I agree with what last guy said... Not the air intake... I still say get some heat out of that area ( with dog house cover on) and your problems will be solved...
Old 09-11-2011, 01:35 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks for the help! The whole vapor lock sounds about right. I have an exhaust leak in the manifold seal so tons of hot air being discharged in the engine cabinet. That will be moved to the top of the repair list and will also go over the hoses and change the fual filter. Thank you for the help
Old 09-11-2011, 02:40 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by RockyJ View Post
Thanks for the help! The whole vapor lock sounds about right. I have an exhaust leak in the manifold seal so tons of hot air being discharged in the engine cabinet. That will be moved to the top of the repair list and will also go over the hoses and change the fual filter. Thank you for the help
Sonds like you now have a good plan.

(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote