Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-22-2014, 02:36 PM   #15

Thanks Tom! Yep that did go through my head, but I had it running (badly but running) the day before with all the wires melted and most of them shorting out, make all the wires nice and new and it will not fire. Last night I was so tired and pissed off, I could not sleep, so I layed in bed thinking, I should have never quit smoking,, oops wrong thought(LOL), when I had it running with all the wire melted, what if all the shorted wires from the alternator (please follow train of thought, it's not as crazy as it looks at first), 1) the engine cranks 2) the alternator turns 3) that alternator puts out some pulses 4) the shorted wires carry the pulses to the ignition module 5) engine runs, but it can not get any real RPMs because the alternator has a set frequency. 6) I fix the bad wires and now the module does not get the pulses, and does not know to fire(collapse electrical field, in ignition coil), when I turn off ign. switch, no juice to coil, and it discharges the last build up? Whatcha think? (Go ahead, tell me what a nut job I am, my buddies tell me all the time, but they keep asking for my help, so A) Am I the nut or B) are they nuts for asking a nut job for help?) I think I'm going to the bone yard and see if I can find a harness and I'll get a new module, and drive another 200 miles, this is getting old. I also put up for bid, a tow, let's see what the $$ look like for a 100 mile tow. Happiest of holidays to all,, Gus

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-22-2014, 02:47 PM   #16

Nope as timing would be off but I like your thinking....

Make if simple.

Get copy of wiring diagram for ign.

It has few parts and only wire those as independent circuit.

Battery to module

Module to distributor

Module to coil

Control via switch or ign wire if stable for power source.

If shore power available take charger and charge battery while wotking and take spare then drive on battery and do not worry about alternator.

Only 3 hours drive and battery should be good but you have spare ...

Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM   #17

Have you verified you have power to the ignition system when the key is in the RUN position?

I'd pull a plug and ground it, then crank it and watch the pulses. Either that, or use a timing light on all 8 plug wires, verify they are all getting consistent spark pulses.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:58 PM   #18

Tony, you are good!!! Thanks, I missed the obvious, got too wrapped up in it all, it was cold windy and snow flakes in the air and I kept seeing my daylight going away! Sometimes you have to step back and look at it from a different angle, and in this case use a smarter brain than mine. Are you the Tony that works on Fiats?LOL
F= FIX
I= IT
A= AGAIN
T= TONY
Take care, and happy holidays
Old 12-22-2014, 03:10 PM   #19

I had one years ago...1975 x19

Street legal go-cart that made 40 mph u-turns.

And yes I had to do many things often to keep it going and got teased a lot.

Stranded one time to many and sold it to someone who expected it to be a problem.

But it was so much fun to drive when it ran though....
Old 12-22-2014, 03:32 PM   #20

Goes to show you how much smarter you are than me, you learned the first time. I had to have 2 of them. A 1967 850 Spider and a 1967 850 Sports coupe. I could pull the engine in under an hour using my chest as a engine hoist, and carry it to the workbench to work on it, and yes 90* turns @ over 50MPH without even a tire squeal, and if I remember all of 54 HP, and under 1600 lbs..
Old 12-22-2014, 03:42 PM   #21

Yup...

Ours had 1500 cc and FACTORY air...gutless until I hooked it up to the scope and noticed 2 cyl odd.

Compression check bad and discovered 2 bad.

Adjusted valves...with a grinder to make those #/!=^ disks just a little thinner...what a pain.

Still gutless but that close to the ground you think you are faster...
Old 12-22-2014, 04:14 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQ60 View Post
Nope as timing would be off but I like your thinking....

Make if simple.

Get copy of wiring diagram for ign.

It has few parts and only wire those as independent circuit.

Battery to module

Module to distributor

Module to coil

Control via switch or ign wire if stable for power source.

If shore power available take charger and charge battery while wotking and take spare then drive on battery and do not worry about alternator.

Only 3 hours drive and battery should be good but you have spare ...
Right on TQ60, there is 3 wires from dist to module, 2 for 1-2 volt a/c pulses 1 for ground. The module has a second plug which has 12v ign and another 12 v wire for crank mode as the crank 12v is there then leaves when the key goes to run mode. The module controls timing and all spark so it can really make one run goofy. Back in the day I had a truck in Key West (125 miles )I went back and forth 5 times on as it had a wire going to the module from the dist that would go open as the truck cooled off and would run when warm. By the time I got back to Homestead they would call and already have it towed back in. I found it by pulling and wiggling all the wire harnesses after a rebuilt dist ,carb, modules and fuel pump were changed. Fun Fun. Good Luck.
Old 12-23-2014, 08:55 AM   #23

Dodge M500

Gus,

You also picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue (love that movie). The ignition module needs to be grounded. On Cars and trucks, it easily grounds by being mounted to the body. On some of the Class A's, I have seen them mounted to plywood panels in the engine compartment. If yours is mounted to wood, it will need a ground wire ran from one of the mounting bolts to the chassis. The spark plug wires might also be old and giving high resistance. Also, always remember, the White zone is for the immediate loading and unloading of passengers and baggage only, there is no parking in the Red zone.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:41 AM   #24

But Dave,,,,,

I always liked sniffing glue at the airport's no parking area, now I have to stop!
I did make some mods and tested them, it stings,, Since I was working alone, and I was only born with two hands, it hard to test coil for spark, so I put the coil wire in my nose, used my left hand to turn the key, and my right hand to hold on to the engine, to make sure I was well grounded, Houston we have spark!!! Merry Christmas to all!
Gus, Chris and all the critters
Old 12-26-2014, 07:17 AM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GUSRENTIT View Post
I always liked sniffing glue at the airport's no parking area, now I have to stop!
I did make some mods and tested them, it stings,, Since I was working alone, and I was only born with two hands, it hard to test coil for spark, so I put the coil wire in my nose, used my left hand to turn the key, and my right hand to hold on to the engine, to make sure I was well grounded, Houston we have spark!!! Merry Christmas to all!
Gus, Chris and all the critters

Thanks for the humor. I really needed it this morning, Thanks...
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dodge, need help