Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:21 PM   #1

NEED HELP desperately

Ok so I've replaced everything attached to engine n 're installed radiators and everything (other than gas tank, I have that dropped and need to clean it badly. .... so I'm bypassing gas tank by putting hose into a 2 gal gas can right after the fule filter) , ( city code ppls. Are giving me a hard time saying if I can't prove that it moves by Tuesday or is off my property there giving me a fine ant takeing me to court) it fires up when starter fluid is sprayed into the carb but dies immediately after ( gas is getting to carb)

Does this mean I have to take carb apart and clean it and 're install? Any suggestions to show that it can move ten ft by Tuesday?

89 Fleetwood southwind p30 chase wit 454engine

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-05-2015, 04:34 PM   #2

Since you are between a "Rock and a Hard Place", you might consider going to an auto store and getting a rebuild/replacement carb. That should eliminate one of the possible problems. Did you check the ignition system?
Take it one step at a time. "Fuel, Spark, Ignition system"
JimB

Spark plugs, spark wires, points, rotor, etc.

Old 09-05-2015, 04:56 PM   #3

Two things, first I think you have an electric fuel pump in the tank that could be bad. It has a filter sock on the inlet that could be plugged.
Second that was about the time Chevrolet switched from Carb to TB fuel injection.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:01 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Any chance of taking a car or something, hooking on to it and giving it a short tug? As long as it moves you should be OK for a few more days. I do not recall if you said they had to see you moving it.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:13 PM   #5

They need to see it move unfortunately lol

I had replaced fule pump ( the gas tank and sending unit I am by passing, just sticking the fule line into 2 gal can , with having it only run for 5 sec to a min depending how long I'm spraying starter fluid in carb it has gone through 1/2 gal or so of gas....... ) took me a little bit to realise the line that goes back to tank for" hit gas" was just emptying onto the ground. ( so I folded it in 1/2 to pinch it off and wrapped with electric tape to act as a temp plug incase that was lowering the fule pressure)
Old 09-05-2015, 05:18 PM   #6

Not sure how you did it, but is there any gravitational pressure on the fuel line from the gas can? A fuel pump supplies fuel under psi, and if the engine is starving out, could it be that there needs to be more pressure pushing the fuel?
Old 09-05-2015, 05:24 PM   #7

what you working on?

The return line to tank should return to your can...if the factory could plug it they would have as line cost $$...

It sounds like you have a carb problem.. what carb is on it? You could just grab a rebuild or given the short time put a junk yard carb.. run and move does not need the carb that setup.
Old 09-05-2015, 05:26 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
When you pump the throttle do you get a squirt of gas into the carb?

The fuel pump should be between the bucket and carb. It should pump and then stop when the float bowls are full.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 05:36 PM   #9

From the tank the fule line runs alone the frame till about the side door entry, there the fule filter is, basically I put 2 gal can on few blocks of wood and. Just put a rubber extension hose into the can

So it goes from there about 8 ft of metal line till the fule pump

So should have no psi issues since it's still going through New fule pump, and if I unscrew. The fule line that goes into carb and crank the engine fule pours out of the line,

That's y I think it's a carb issue since fule has no problem up till that pt

Jack I'm not sure off top of my head, I think I remember ppls Saying it was elderblock or something like that, or quad jet, I'll 're read other forum and post for u
Old 09-05-2015, 05:41 PM   #10

I did not leave fule line to carb disconnected long enough to try that. Texan. ...... my service manual says it's dispose to pump a pint of gas in 15sec and didn't want a ton of gas all over top of engine. .... since I already had bottle of gas I was pouring into carb catch fire. ..... resulting in my rt leg looking like from the knee down was freshly shaven lol. ..... needless to say I went back to useing starting fluid after that incident lol
Old 09-05-2015, 05:49 PM   #11

Rochester Quadrajet carb , I believe n was suggested to replace with elderblock. 750
Old 09-05-2015, 07:19 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hold the throttle plate open and pump the throttle, if you get a squirt of gas the float bowl is getting gas if no squirt you may have a block filter on the carb or a stuck float valve. Tap on the carb with a rubber hammer or screwdriver handle. Without the acc pump being able pump gas it won't run long.

Look here for some ideas

Curing Quadrajet Carb Woes - Super Chevy Magazine

Good luck
Old 09-05-2015, 07:25 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Sounds like you have varnish in the carb internal ports. In your 2 gak gas can that you have hooked up, pour in a bottle of Stabil, then start the engine spraying gasoline in the top of the carb to keep it running for a while, this will run the stabil up thru the carb and eventually clean up enough varnish to allow the engine to run on its own.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2015, 07:52 PM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Stabil is great stuff, but if it doesn't get into the carb, it won't help
Do you feel comfortable pulling the top off the carb and checking the float bowl?

Do you know any hot Rodders, a kid with and old Chevy may be a big help!

Tags
need help