Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-23-2013, 10:11 PM   #1

need help.. Layton (skyline) pull behind camper

My camper did not have any paper work. the folks my cousin got it from said it was a 1975 Layton. I found a tag next to the door and it reads Layton by Skyline. they told him it was either a 16' or a 22'. I found a spot of chipped paint and there seems to have been a yellow strip around the trailer. I can't find the vin where the lady from Skyline said it would be...Ie on the A frame part of the tongue for 1973 /older, and on the receiver for 74/up.
I looked at a 16' trailer on youtube that looked about like mine but I noticed a lot of differences in the size I'm 90% sure mine is 22'.
has anyone ever seen an advertisement for this trailer? where could I find info on the hot water heater? if I can get a pic of the tags on the outside next to the door, could someone get info on the year from it?
on the tongue there is a box full of fuses like you find in an old house, next to the battery tray that seems to be in disorder. could some one help me find info on how to build a new on? I'm not even sure what it does.
I'd like see pics showing classic campers, so if you guys have some and don't mind sharing them, please feel free to post or email some to me. I just want to see these things in action back in the day.
thanks,
Bill

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2013, 12:47 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Site for possible info

I would suggest Good Old RVs as a possible source

waddison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2013, 06:21 PM   #3

Thanks, I'll head there and have a look around.
While looking through the old post, I found two other members with a camper that is a relatively close resemblance. they are both in the late 70's and the front living area is a little different. mine has a couch on both sides and a hidden table with a couple of removable leafs. mine also has a bookcase and shelves on the right side between the kitchen table booth, and the living room.
here's mine:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps277294b5.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps8168588f.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps341a914c.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v4...ps2f9aac7d.jpg
Old 02-26-2013, 10:23 AM   #4

I would say by your pictures you have a 22ft. They didn't put the twin Goucho's in anything smaller that I'm aware of. I had a 84 that looked alot like yours.
fishseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 01:39 PM   #5

Thanks, I might have a newer trailer then I thought, maybe?
I have seen a couple of them up here that are close, right down to the plastic fenders. I think they were closer to 1978.
If you have any pics of your camper I'd like to get a peek at it.

Thanks,
Bill
Old 02-27-2013, 05:29 PM   #6

Well, I finally found the numbers on the tongue. The paint covered it up, and someone pounded it with a hammer so they might have some damage.Now, I gotta try and get the paint cleaned off with out messing it up any more then it is.

The Lady at Skyline said the last digits tell the year. I'm hoping that I can get the year and ask for a copy of the sales brochure. it would be neat to see what it looked like in the day. lol.

I also made another discovery. The NC Forrest service has trailer campers that they convert to offices or use for temp buildings, while on, what we called, "project fires". they painted them yellow, and most of the time do the repairs or gut them.
While checking the damage fro the last guy that moved the thing and jack knifed it..And beat the tongue up... I found the spots of yellow that looked exactly like the color used by the Forest service.

If anybody has pics of campers trailers from the 70's and early 80's, please feel free to share them with me.
Thanks
Bill
Old 03-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #7

Hey i found your thread, you have a great start to a sweet vintage camper!

This is what ours looked like when i picked it up, yuck!

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...ac73871aad.jpg

Few months of work and months of work yet to come but i got it in nice enough condition that we took it on a week vacation in the smoky mountains

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=elkmont1.png

http://s10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=elkmont2.png

inside pic, ours is 19 foot so we have less room and when the front couch is layed down into a bed it really sucks up the space

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...d45add1c73.jpg

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...e00afe10fb.jpg
Old 03-04-2013, 05:18 PM   #8

Nice! how did it do while being pulled down the road? was there any places where you might have wished it was not as tall or big?
not sure if you have the same type bumper like mine has, but, you might want to keep the water out of it. my back bumper used to have a sewer pipe in it and the caps on the end made it hold water, and the whole bottom rotted out. I am going to replace it with angle iron and make a place to hold the sewer line in. lol.
Also mine has two couches that take up the whole front half when laid out into a bed. I've never had a bed that huge before. lol. it's not a very fancy set up..you just drag the seat part towards the center line of the trailer, and lay the cushions down.
I removed the screen/filter from the hood that was over the stove..when there was a stove in there, lol..you should have seen the wasp nest and stuff in there. I'm not sure if the fan will work or not but it was cemented in place by all those mud nest on it, but I got it spinning free now.
I think I could weekend in mine now. It's a mess in there right now, though. lol.
I have to finish the grout up on the tile counter I made. I am trying to come up with an idea on how I want to do to the sink in the kitchen. the last owner added a bathroom facet in place of the one that goes in a kitchen. I'm going to replace it with one that is made for the kitchen.
pics coming this weekend, but don't expect to much..I'm not a very good carpenter. lol.
Old 03-04-2013, 10:25 PM   #9

Have you found this?

1976 Layton redo.

tderonne is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:18 AM   #10

Anything over 50mph was interesting when it swayed, i heard it was doing that because the reciever i was using had the front of the trailer to low while towing down the road so i will get a shorter one to get the trailer level while towing and if that doesnt work get some sort of a sway bar set up.

i have some wood work to do this spring and have to put in a hot water heater and fix some more hail damage then paint it with different color stripes (red is to bold) need to rewire the battery leads.

already did tons of work to it and tons yet to do.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:26 AM   #11

click on this thread link and grab a cup of coffee and settle in for a great thread of refurbing a 78 nomad...

1978 Nomad Trailer Restoration/Project: From rot to not!

the layout of this camper is just like mine.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:13 PM   #12

Thanks for the links and the help. It's been a cold and wet month here lately, but today was dry and not too cold.
my camper is starting to look like a junkyard. I been taring out some stuff only to find a few other things needing some attention. I took the kitchen sink out and found to must up drains and the drain pipe cracked. I got the sink out and the counter top is covered with tile and grout...though I need to do another layer of grout, to fill in a few low spots. I also have too drill the holes for the fixtures, but I can't do that till I get the new fixtures here. of course my brother got that grout mud everywhere! the floors, the walls under the sink, and even on the outside! last time I let him mix that stuff..lol.
I made a door for the cabinet that will replace the hole where the oven used to be. I still need to paint it and find matching hinges and knobs. I found a little mold attacking the fridge. I wiped it out today.
I got to digging around and the exhaust fan for the stove was covered with dirt dobber and wasp nest. I played hell getting the screen filter out. I dug the nest out and did not see anything else in there but I am thinking I will need a screen covers made to prevent future intruders from attacking again.
pics coming in a few minutes.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #13

The pics... sorry for the blurry images, my phone is not the best camera in the world..lol.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:09 PM   #14

Well just got finished digging some of the rot out of the one other bad spot on my camper...the spot where I found an 8 in. rotted stud. it turned in to a lot bigger spot. now I have to remove the counter top on the front of the camper, replace a stud on the left side...well like about 1/2 a stud anyway.. and possibly the 2x2 that goes under the window. looks like there was a leak in that corner that caused the stud in the corner to rot. the counter top there has a hole rotted in it on that corner too.
after a second look I think I can get away with a weekend worth of labor and some thin plywood and get it fixed right back to like new. I already have the 2x2 studs. thankfully I over estimated the earlier job and bought extra 2x2's, calking, tile and grout. I still have some left over plywood too.

Yall wish me luck! I'm not a good carpenter. lol.