Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-02-2015, 06:52 PM   #1

Need help with a no start Ford

I have a 90 Pace Arrow 460 Banks exhaust and trying to solve a no start issue that appeared while parked, seems to be fuel pump problem, fuel not even reaching fuel filter, more of a power issue I think inerta switch has 2 seconds of power when key turned on. 80 gal tank 75% full don't really want to drop tank unless sure its the pump. Has anyone tried access through the floor in the bed room between twin beds?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 11:39 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club

Using a meter or test light make sure power is getting to the circuit before deciding to drop the tank or access the pump. The fuel pump should come on with ignition switch and if the engine is not running within a few seconds it shuts off again until next start cycle. If there is power but the pump doesn't run, THEN you might need to access the top of the tank. A number of threads about doing this 'mod' to access the tank, you can use the search box (Google search) to find more posts. Here are just a few:

Cutting hole in floor to replace F53 ford fuel pump

Finally did the fuel pump

Fuel Tank Access

fuel pump easy access

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 03:10 PM   #3

You would love this if I could upload the pictures, I parted the carpets that were stapled down where different colors came together , and started cutting the plywood to expose a metal frame and that didn't stop me I cut it out of the center of my hole and proceeded to cut what I thought was 1/4 in. gar-lock material covering the fuel tank as it had spring to it and felt clear on the other side, wrong. It wasn't till I stuck my camera in to film both direction of my new found compartment, running sideways the with of the coach,that is when it donned on me I am in my gray water tank. I feel my measurements are correct and the tank is one cut away but can't bring myself to make this final cut and fear I have opened a can of worms and may have a problem resealing the top again. This material is now confirmed 1/4 inch plastic same stuff kayaks are made of, you think these 3D plastic weld hand held units with their plastic feed systems might might weld it back, if it were steel I would have no problem as am a retired welder, plastic not so familiar, but willing to try .Anybody got any thoughts?
Old 12-05-2015, 04:57 PM   #4

"This material is now confirmed 1/4 inch plastic same stuff kayaks are made of, you think these 3D plastic weld hand held units with their plastic feed systems might might weld it back, if it were steel I would have no problem as am a retired welder, plastic not so familiar, but willing to try .Anybody got any thoughts?"

I need to repair my gray water holding tank and I've done the reading but haven't screwed up the courage to put heat to tank. I purchased the Harbor Freight hot air welding gun and what I hope is the correct plastic rod. I also understand that unlike welding metal the plastic does not flow on its own but is softened by the heat and pushed together with force.

Is your engine fuel injected? If not, or if the fuel injection pressure is developed by a secondary pump, I'd convert a 1-gallon plastic fuel can into a dedicated test can using a hose barb and fuel line, then feed the engine known good fuel. At least that way you can confirm the rear pump ain't working.
Old 12-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #5

Need help with a no start Ford

Backing up to my trouble shooting, all I have is the one pump in my tank, it is fuel injected, I checked for power at the inertia switch (middle wire) with trouble light have 2 sec. of power when key is on, but stays on while engine is cranking. even with rail fuel filter removed and cranking, no fuel is expelled. The engine will fire on starting fluid so elec. part of system is good. Plan B is to place external fuel pump at filter location with inline filter plumed before pump.(this will be done without change to existing fuel line) If that works it will be temporary till I run the fuel out so I can safely lower the tank for permanent repair. I haven't tried to pull suction on it yet and still don't know if the old pump would allow fuel to pass though. Oldtoolmaker, I may need to pick up that Plastic Welding Kit from Harbor Freight, I planned on also using an old school soldering iron with a triangle shaped foot to help form the weld to put my gray tank back together, Thanks for your help!! My ebay external pump arrives tomorrow today is football and relaxation I still enjoy a good show even if my Cowboys are done.
Old 12-06-2015, 10:17 AM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
You might apply air pressure to the fuel line to be sure it isn't blocked. Use low pressure and remove the gas cap first. You could have a collapsed fuel line or blockage in the fuel pick up in the tank. It might be worth a try before installing a new external fuel pump.

It could have been worse, you could have cut a hatch in the top of the black tank!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2015, 01:15 PM   #7

"I planned on also using an old school soldering iron with a triangle shaped foot to help form the weld to put my gray tank back together, . . ."

The hot air welding guns can have a foot that feeds the plastic welding rid while you apply pressure with the gun. That's what I'm going to try when I screw up my courage. The day before I need to actually use the tank again.
Old 12-08-2015, 07:29 PM   #8

alternative fuel pump added

I stopped my attempt at access through the floor and feel welding the hole shut should be a piece of cake you just have to keep in mind that you must v out the repair and fill it evenly with multiple passes and work it in for a good mix of materials as you fill the vee. if you just push material in and smooth over it will crack on you.
So moving on I put in a " New Inline External Mount Fuel Pump 70-95 PSI For Ford Lincoln Mercury Vehicles" from ebay for $37.50 and mounted it in the stock filter location on the rail and added a section of hose with clamps to include the filter and it fired right up, I first powered it with a motor cycle battery but soon learned the power drain was not able to last too long so I ran a trigger wire off the center wire on the inerta switch and powered up a relay with fuse protection. Now I can drive it around to use up the 60 gallons of fuel so I can safely lower the tank and make a more permanent repair to my fuel system. So far it seems quite reliable, I put about 20 miles on it today using the motorcycle battery to power the second pump. Apparently contrary to popular believe it is possible to pull a suction past a inoperable intank fuel pump. The engine would die instantly every time I took the secondary power off the secondary pump. Now the way I got it wired you don't even realize there is a problem that has been keeping me from starting for the last two months. nuff said apologize for the long length.
Old 12-10-2015, 11:37 AM   #9

Not too long at all. You wrote:
"The engine would die instantly every time I took the secondary power off the secondary pump."
My antique motorhome, on a Chevrolet P30 chassis uses two pumps, one in the tank and the mechanical one on the engine.
If you used the correct hose and clamps, maybe what you've done IS a permanent repair.