Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 AM   #1

need ideas to cover the ugly ceiling

Theres tons of post/threads..but i get tired at reading everything..
anyone got any suggestions or links WITH PICTURES...to be able to cover my ugly ceiling? I know i can cover it with 1/4" luan plywood or anything else..but
theres nothing to screw or bolt it too..all the rafters are steel!
only wood is along eachside of the rv..nothing but different types of insulation and space.
LaZy507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2013, 10:01 AM   #2

I too am looking for ideas. We had a padded vinyl over luan panel at the front of our coach which was damaged form a leaky seam. Would like to find something in 2 x 2 or 2 x 4 panels that can be used to replace the original,
DMCNEILLY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

peel and stick carpet tiles?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:59 PM   #4

Along with the peel and stick carpet tiles there is a host of other stuff out there that is peel and stick. You could have anything from a tile look, to wood.
Old 02-26-2013, 04:09 PM   #5

well we are thinking of covering ours with bambo sticks...like the ones for shades .and are real thin...or grass cloth as those will go real nice with our antique design interior...and can be glued on real easy{well as easy as easy gets} or have a wallpaper hanger do it...jeff
Old 02-26-2013, 08:14 PM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
I used paneling and glued it to foam or paneling where I did not repair roof. Used sticks (1 x 2's) to hold while glue dries, suggest test glues, before doing big pieces of final application.
Friendship37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2013, 09:32 PM   #7

I think everyone misunderstood what i meant..maybe i didnt word it right..I want to put something up that will cover everything,including those bars
Old 02-26-2013, 10:57 PM   #8

Mid Atlantic Campers
If it where me, I'd use something like Luan with some nice self tapping screws right into the steel bars.
There are some trim screws available that are self tapping. If you took your time and got the lines nice and straight with even spacing, I think it would look just fine. Or you could get those little plastic covers that go over the screws to hide them if you wanted to go that far.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 03:57 AM   #9

I have friends that restored an older houseboat and they glued a fabric to the ceiling. It looked like a low pile carpet in an off white. It looked great!
Mystery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 06:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phobos View Post
If it where me, I'd use something like Luan with some nice self tapping screws right into the steel bars.
There are some trim screws available that are self tapping. If you took your time and got the lines nice and straight with even spacing, I think it would look just fine. Or you could get those little plastic covers that go over the screws to hide them if you wanted to go that far.
I like that idea, thanks..Might have to try it, But i dont think i could put carpet on the ceiling..Im 6'6, my head touches the roof now lol. i would think carpet being fluffy and all would make it seem smaller in there, idk..id def like to see a pic tho! thanks for alls inputs
Old 02-27-2013, 08:27 AM   #11

Florida Cooters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Lazy, you may have to finish the frame out on the ceiling. Doesn't look like you have enough to attach to as it is to get a sag-free adherence. Shouldn't be hard to do as it's not like ceiling joists, the framing will be there just to hold the ceiling material. Then, what I would do is look at what's going to cost what. I know budget is a concern, so is it cheaper to wrap osb board in a thin vinyl? You could also add some insulation in there to help with both heating/cooling and sound dampening.
Old 02-27-2013, 10:43 AM   #12

I picked up some "headliner" material. at one of the fabric stores and used it for a different purpose however that would be my choice. A can or two of 3M spray glue and you'll have a nice looking ceiling. It has a thin foam backing so it feels like it padded.
Jerry
Old 02-27-2013, 07:07 PM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
How far apart are the steel bars in your ceiling? I just did a complete ceiling tear-out on my Chieftain that became very involved. I ended up putting steel "rafters"on 24" centers (but that's for another post). I finished mine with luan that I glued to the blue-board and "rafters" with a construction adhesive called "SIKA" that I bought from Lowe's. (It appears to be safe to use on the foam. Contact cement will eat it up)
Before putting the luan up, I covered it with a nice, heavy vinyl wallpaper. I did it before putting it up so that I could wrap the paper over the ends and sides of the panels a couple of inches. I then held it up with some Tee braces made of 2X4 and 1X4 covered with old carpeting. At each rafter, I used the self-tapping, round-head screws like Phobos suggested. For proper spacing, I used a 2 inch wide piece of pegboard and marked out what looked like a good spacing.
After the adhesive set overnight, I removed the screws and covered the seams with 1 1/2 inch wide oak strips. I think it looks nice.
When I get the hang of this picture-posting thing, I hope to start a thread of my own tear-out and rebuild.
Hope this helps. Good luck.
knugent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2013, 02:32 PM   #14

You might consider gluing insulating foam panels in between the steel joist (too level everything). Then you can cover with fabric/luan or whatever.

Kevin
ksg5000 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ceiling