Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 PM   #15
bap

i agree with everyone,,,the better it can breath the better it will run a good cold air intake and exhaust will help......ive never thought about this on an rv maynot even work but what about regearing yor rearend ,,?..

but i can make you feel a little better,,,i have a 94 wrangler that i have to drop down th 3rd to make it up..and got 8mpgs 10 qtg best....lol....but that thing in an offroad beast,,will climb hills with ease that there is no waY YOU CAN WAlk up them but yes its lifted and i run big ooe tires but still runs like your big motorhome....lol
bap is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-23-2014, 05:49 AM   #16

You can regear your rear, but the problem with a ratio change is that it is permenant. If someone is going to go that route, they are much better off to use a Gear Vendors, so that you can choose taller gears when cruising on flat ground. Otherwise the mileage suffers.
Old 09-23-2014, 06:18 AM   #17

If you can pull the hills between Springfield and Branson at 45mph with a 460 and a toad you are doing dam good in my world!
homeless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2014, 08:35 PM   #18

Nope no toad just RV. The regearing is interesting but not sure I want to go that route, think I'll live with holding up traffic, if there's nothing wrong with the motor. I hope to get down there this weekend an take it for a drive. Thanks again for all the help. Thsi is a great place. Jim
JOTroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2014, 06:40 AM   #19

BTW: Make sure your air cleaner is new. Air cleaners can be deceiving in that the engine will run perfectly fine, but just be down on power.
Old 09-27-2014, 08:44 PM   #20

It is more important to gear down and watch the temperature gauge. In the summer here in Az. I might only climb hills at 35mph but I make it without overheating and save a little gas also.
I installed a vacumm gauge to help me know how the engine is doing. If you keep the vac. reading as high as possible your fuel mileage should increase.
I'm able to get over 9mph most of the time. Compared to the 6mpg I got when I first got the MH.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
power