Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-15-2014, 08:43 PM   #1

Need more power?

Hi everyone, I recently puchased a 1990 Winnabego Chiefton 33 RQ . It has a 460 Ford with new plugs , wires and injection was cleaned. I took it out last weekend for the first camping trip to Table Rock lake. It seemed to run fine but struggled on the hills. I dropped to about 45 mph. on the steeper hills. Is this normal? I can't tell you the grade of the hill but really nothing too bad. We stayed at Kiberling City Marina and had a great time but should I be concerned with the performance? Or is this what I should expect from a large vintage MH like this. Thanks you in advance, Jim
JOTroye is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-17-2014, 11:28 AM   #2

This is very normal. When I tow I am down to 35 sometimes. I watch my RPM's more than my speedo. I do not want to blow up. I just get behind an 18 wheeler and enjoy the diesel smell.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:06 PM   #3

Well thank you. I am new to all this and just not sure. The hills can be a little steep aroung Springfield, Mo. but just did not expect it to be quite that much. Like I said it seems to run fine, so I guess I won't worry. I 'll just settle in and watch the cars line up behind me.
Old 09-17-2014, 08:11 PM   #4

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yep, very normal. We had a 35' '98 Santara with the 460, got around 5 to 6 mpg and struggled to gain or hold any highway speed. Even after adding the Banks kit and TransCommand it was still a dog.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:10 AM   #5

The 460 is well known to have serious breathing problems. Better air flow in and out of the engine will make a big difference is done right. I think Banks claims another 60 HP from headers and intake mods. While I would not bother with Banks specifically, I would suggest installing Thorleys and Magniflow mufflers. K&N on the intake. Should make a world of difference. It will also run cooler as well.
Old 09-18-2014, 06:58 AM   #6

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Our 82 PA has the 454 and runs perfectly. On a recent trip we left the CG a different way than how we got there and a surprise to me there were some long pulls up steep grades. Most we made up with 2nd gear, but one we dropped down to 1st to make it over the crest.
I know there will be those that say you don't need too burn Premium but I will say I find that it runs and pulls better using it. Sorry but it does.
By the way we were towing our 99 Deville concours. I don't have a tac I go by the temp gauge and the sound of the engine, I haven't had the temp gauge go over the 1/2 way point shifting that way, it was in the upper 80dies also.
I use first up too 30 shift into 2nd up too 40-45 and then into Drive. I don't push it either. Try going by how the engine sounds. Don't push it.
I used to drive a 18 wheeler and some pulls went from 13th gear down to 3-4th on some pulls out west and that was pulling up too 80,000 lbs
JMO, Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:09 AM   #7

Thanks guys. I like the idea of headers but have other things that need to be addressed on my to do list !st. I really don't need the power but it would be nice. I was mainly comcerned that there was other issues unseen. Good to know she's just a pooch. LOL I was thinking it could be a back preasure and may have the catalytic conveter checked. It only has 41,000 miles What do you think?
Thanks again Jim
Old 09-18-2014, 08:15 AM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
as stated only so much you can do on those gas engines... they are just big air pumps, so get better air flow...

exhaust:
at least check to make sure nothing is bent/plugged
and consider new mandral bend exhaust,

tuning:
maybe see if 5 star tuning can help you ?

Intake:
better cold air intake ?

good luck
JohnBoyToo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 08:23 AM   #9

I have a 1992 28' bounder chevy 454. Yours might be a little heavier than mine. Don't carry 100 gallons of water.I get 8mpg all the time. My motor has 12k miles so should be in tip top shape. You will get used to the lack of power. Even the slightest grade will effect that much weight. I live in Az where there are steep grades everywhere. Every vehicle has a learning curve. Don't make a decision on your cat or lack of power issue until you have taken a few trips.
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #10

I had not heard about 5 star until now. I will keep that in mind. That's pretty good advice about taking a few trips, and your spot on with the learning curve. Thanks Jim
Old 09-19-2014, 07:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I know there will be those that say you don't need too burn Premium but I will say I find that it runs and pulls better using it. Sorry but it does.
JMO, Tim
If it does, then it is not stock, or has a lot of carbon build up inside the engine, or the timing is set "too" far advanced. I put "too" in quotes because you may have to advance the timing because the curve is not optimized for the full RPM band.

You may know this, but I really don't like the idea of using the word premium for higher octane fuel. It gives the perception that it is "better" fuel. Higher octane just means it has stuff in it to prevent it from burning as easily. High compression engines need that so they don't ignite the fuel from heat generated by compression. If you are not running a high compression engine and the engine is tuned properly, the lower octane gets better mileage because the fuel is easier to ignite. High compression is a trade off, as it gains more performance than it looses by going to the higher octane. Modern head designs that can run higher compression on low octane fuel actually perform better than just the high compression running on higher octane. That is why the 8.1 can get equal fuel mileage to the old 454, even though they are pulling tons more weight.
Old 09-20-2014, 06:29 PM   #12

Look at your air intake hoses that go into the throttle body,there should be two of them about 2-1/2 inches in diameter.There is a plastic air horn in each tube near the plastic H block that will increase air flow if removed.You have to remove the hoses to get to them.They choke down the hose diameter to about the size of a half dollar.I believe they are in there to control intake noise.I removed mine on my 460 and got better power and response with no increase in noise.I replaced the filter at the same time.
muskamoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 07:01 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOTroye View Post
Hi everyone, I recently puchased a 1990 Winnabego Chiefton 33 RQ . It has a 460 Ford with new plugs , wires and injection was cleaned. I took it out last weekend for the first camping trip to Table Rock lake. It seemed to run fine but struggled on the hills. I dropped to about 45 mph. on the steeper hills. Is this normal? I can't tell you the grade of the hill but really nothing too bad. We stayed at Kiberling City Marina and had a great time but should I be concerned with the performance? Or is this what I should expect from a large vintage MH like this. Thanks you in advance, Jim
There are some pretty long, steep hills between Springfield and Branson/Table Rock Lake. I have dropped to 45 mph on some of them and that's with a 2011 V-10.
aauummm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:04 PM   #14

Thanks I will change the filter before next trip and check and remove the air horns. Aauummm if your V 10 can't pull them then I know mine won't thank you for the replies. Jim

Tags
power