Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-19-2012, 01:38 PM   #1

need new front tires

After suffering tread separation on both one year old Cooper tires on the front of my '93 Winnebago 22' long Warrior, I find myself needing replacements. Would Michelin LTX M/S2 tires be suitable? The Coopers were 7.5/16s and the Michelins I'm looking at would be LT235/85R16s.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Question to ask is 'why did the Coopers separate'? If simple manufacturing defect(s), then they can replace (I know you wouldnt want more 'bad' tires..) or compensate.

BUT, if its because you were under-inflated/overloaded, then that would be important to know, no?

Old 09-19-2012, 01:55 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midniteoyl View Post
Question to ask is 'why did the Coopers separate'? If simple manufacturing defect(s), then they can replace (I know you wouldnt want more 'bad' tires..) or compensate.

BUT, if its because you were under-inflated/overloaded, then that would be important to know, no?
I made sure they were both set to 65 psi before I started out on my trip which is what was on the sidewall. I don't know how the vehicle could have been overloaded. I was the only one in it and the holding tank was empty. I'm the third owner so I didn't even try for any compensation. The only Cooper tires underneath any vehicle I own will be when I run over them as their pieces are laying out on the highway.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:25 PM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by grafxman View Post
After suffering tread separation on both one year old Cooper tires on the front of my '93 Winnebago 22' long Warrior, I find myself needing replacements. Would Michelin LTX M/S2 tires be suitable? The Coopers were 7.5/16s and the Michelins I'm looking at would be LT235/85R16s.
That's a question that I would pose to my friendly neighborhood truck tire guy.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2012, 10:10 PM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
I made sure they were both set to 65 psi before I started out on my trip which is what was on the sidewall. I don't know how the vehicle could have been overloaded. I was the only one in it and the holding tank was empty. I'm the third owner so I didn't even try for any compensation. The only Cooper tires underneath any vehicle I own will be when I run over them as their pieces are laying out on the highway.
LOL..

Ok, so you really dont know the abuse the tires where subjected to .. I only ask because Coopers shouldnt come apart any more than Michelins or Goodyears and to have them BOTH do so, means something is wrong, or they were abused.. Or both.
Old 09-19-2012, 10:16 PM   #6

7.5/16.....bias tires? if so......a 215 wide is the equal to the 7.50" wide

235s may not fit...so check prior to purchasing
Old 09-20-2012, 01:41 AM   #7

They were both radial plies. I did hit a few nasty bumps going 65mph on I-77 in WV but everyone else was hitting them and I didn't see anyone else changing wheels along the interstate. Before I bought it the MH never left FL which generally has pretty smooth highways. I have to figure they were both defective.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:47 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by historyljc View Post
That's a question that I would pose to my friendly neighborhood truck tire guy.
I don't know any friendly neighborhood truck tire guy and I don't know he would have any experience with an RV on a Chevy P-30 chassis. That's why I asked here. I'm sure most folks here know the Chevy P-30 chassis was widely used for a large variety of motor homes over several years so I thought someone here might be able to give me a definitive answer based on personal experience.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:14 AM   #9

For what it is worth I too had Cooper 750/16 tyres on my motorhome, also a P-30 chassis (WORKHORSE); and suffered the same tread separation catostrophe at 100kph. Look on the sidewall, the tyres are not really heavy duty ones, load range D as I recall. I live and work in a logging town, and decided to go with the same tyres we use on our crummies: Toyo LT235/85R16 (M55's) These are a heavy duty tyre with a 10ply rating. I am running 65psi in the front (nitrogen filled) and 55psi in the rear (nitrogen filled). The tyres are certainly a bit taller than the 750/16's and about an inch wider. They are fine on the front, no clearance or rubbing problems; but a little closer together on the rear, then the Coopers, still about a half inch apart though, so should not present a problem. My tyreman says that a spacer plate between the two duals is not necessary, but could be installed if I wanted them.The only problem I have is that anything over 65mph, creates a fair bit of tyre noise, but I expected that, what with them being a traction tyre. However I now feel a lot more secure and the noise is something I can live with. I have not put too many miles on them, perhaps 200, but I have noticed that they do not get as warm, as the Coopers did.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumperfood View Post
For what it is worth I too had Cooper 750/16 tyres on my motorhome, also a P-30 chassis (WORKHORSE); and suffered the same tread separation catostrophe at 100kph. Look on the sidewall, the tyres are not really heavy duty ones, load range D as I recall. I live and work in a logging town, and decided to go with the same tyres we use on our crummies: Toyo LT235/85R16 (M55's) These are a heavy duty tyre with a 10ply rating. I am running 65psi in the front (nitrogen filled) and 55psi in the rear (nitrogen filled). The tyres are certainly a bit taller than the 750/16's and about an inch wider. They are fine on the front, no clearance or rubbing problems; but a little closer together on the rear, then the Coopers, still about a half inch apart though, so should not present a problem. My tyreman says that a spacer plate between the two duals is not necessary, but could be installed if I wanted them.The only problem I have is that anything over 65mph, creates a fair bit of tyre noise, but I expected that, what with them being a traction tyre. However I now feel a lot more secure and the noise is something I can live with. I have not put too many miles on them, perhaps 200, but I have noticed that they do not get as warm, as the Coopers did.
Thanks a lot. That's the info I needed.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:56 AM   #11

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
I don't know any friendly neighborhood truck tire guy and I don't know he would have any experience with an RV on a Chevy P-30 chassis. That's why I asked here. I'm sure most folks here know the Chevy P-30 chassis was widely used for a large variety of motor homes over several years so I thought someone here might be able to give me a definitive answer based on personal experience.
I sometimes forget that all are not as fortunate as I am to have the resources available to them that I do. I have a very competent truck tire dealer less that six miles away. You have gotten some very good answers here. Good choice.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 06:26 AM   #12

I'm expecting delivery of 2 Michelin LTX M/S2 LT235/85R16 tires on Monday. Then the fun begins. The Navy Exchange Service Station can't change a wheel on a motor home because they don't have a jack bigger than a 2 tons. So, I'll have to swap out the wheels myself.
Old 09-22-2012, 10:36 AM   #13

Quote:
Another important thing I have learned here, is a Lot of motor homes Are over weight, usually on the front axle. Don't think for a minute it cannot be. I've read on here even some high dollar mh's are over weight. That is a Big safety issue ! The only way to know is to weigh it, preferably one corner at a time, as it will be different from side to side. At least weigh it front, then rear axle. Ours was basically empty when I weighed it, and it was over then on the front axle. (per the mh manufacturer) P32 chassis) Now I am very aware of that when storing stuff for traveling.
Our tires, (yes Cooper, LT215/85R/16 ) are doing fine so far. 6000 miles so far, although only a year old. Most of those miles have been long trips across country, 60-65 mph. They are E rated, 10 ply, so they can handle the weight we have fine.
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 09:39 PM   #14

We had cooper made 235/85/16 on our '86 28ft p30 10ply and had 7100 pounds on the back axle in the Texas heat last year and had no problems. The only thing I would say is that the clearance is very tight between the duals but the never rubbed.

Tags
tires