Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2016, 07:26 PM   #1

Need some help on wheels and tires

So, I have an 82 itasca sundancer. Been on the rebuild for the past 2 months and almost done, now comes the challenge of tires. It has 16.5 x 6.00 rims with LT 8.00 R 16.5 D tires and sits on a G30 chassis with rear dually. I could just buy the firestone LT tires that are offered but with such a limit I don't want to. I want to just slap new wheels on that offer a more selection of tires. So, anyone please guide me in the right direction. Thanks, Matt
steenis is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-29-2016, 08:43 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
The current steel wheels on it will have a small stamped model number (probably accuride). If you can find the number it should give you the specs, bolt pattern, hub size, offset, etc. you can then look up a 16 or 17" version, new or used.
Old 09-04-2016, 06:29 PM   #3

I thought I answered this.....
My good friend, (another Matt) has a GMC and had a similar problem. Aftermarket wheels are available both in steel and alloy. The steel are likely to be so expensive that the alloy will only be a small additional cost.

I went crazy getting the wheels straight on the Cayo.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:33 PM   #4

Not my first choice but since it is a G30 chassis there should be lots of used wheels around to fit it. Even the wheels from a Chevy or GMC pickup may work. Make sure they have the area where the lug nuts tighten against the wheel for the same nuts you have, correct offset, and not bent or damaged.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2016, 07:46 PM   #5

If you go with the alloys you will not have to deal with the one issue between brands of stock steel wheels, the diameter of the center hole. Since you're going to replace tires and wheels I would recommend at looking at late model take offs and seventeens. A take off is a new tire and wheel that was replaced by a custom tire and wheel by the dealer. Besides getting new factory tires and wheels there is the fact that manufacturers get the best tires. Your tires are rated and contrary to what they tell you at the tire store, the very best ones go to manufacturers. They buy the most tires and they don't want a bad tire ruining a sale.

I suspect sixteens are going the way of your sixteen dot fives. Seventeens are the size of the future and you will find more selection choices in the future purchases.

This means your odometer is going to be off. Your navigation device will help you work around that. I don't think an 82 has the computer that can be altered by the tech based upon tire size to correct the odometer. i use a Garmin and it shows my stock odometer is ten percent off, not an issue because I use the Garmin anyways.
Old 09-07-2016, 09:55 PM   #6

Those old tires he has should be fairly tall and the speedo may not be affected much. My '88 has LT235/85R16s on it now and at 60 mph on the speedo I am actually going 63 mph. If his is too far off the gear in the trans is a cheap fix, or an adapter on the speedo gear shaft to the cable will work to correct it.
A check on a tire manufacturers website should have the tire heights and most even have a chart or program to tell you the effect changing tire sizes will have.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2016, 10:42 AM   #7

new tires P chassis

I fixing to buy new tires first time for my motorhome pace arrow 1990 fleetwood 34'my tires are dry rot need replacing. For the rear looking at Sumitomo ST 718 load range F,G / 8R19.5 so has anyone used these tires. Thanks Betty
grits58 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires