Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 07-15-2016, 10:03 PM   #1

Need to disengage Version 1 Autopark?

Hi! We've used our 1991 Winnebago Itasca very little in the last few years while we rebuilt our house after Hurricane Sandy. We planned a short trip to a local campsite to get up and running this weekend. Made an uneventful trip to the campground but all he'll broke loose between the office and our site. Lost power steering and power brakes in the couple hundred yards and barely able to back into the site. I got out and saw we left a long double trail of what I think is power steering fluid. When I got back in and tried to back up a little more it wouldn't budge.

From earlier discussions here and some (years ago) email exchanges with oldusedbear, I believe that I have a relatively rare Version 1 model autopark. It has no foot pedal or yellow knob and I've been told no RGS.

I'm thinking that something in either the power steering/power brake assist or hydraulics that release the autopark may have let loose because I left a couple hundred yards long double trail of fluid.

Finding someone to come to the campsite to diagnose it in the next 2 days isn't looking promising. Coach-Net will either send someone OR tow me the 20 miles home but if a technician comes out and can't repair it, they won't cover the tow.

I'm thinking that if someone can point me to how to release the autopark I could limp home without power steering/brake assist and then make an appointment to get it looked at.

There was also something hanging down almost to the ground near the rear of the transmission. The photos show it in my hand or circled.

Any suggestions appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1468638168337.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	133179   Click image for larger version

Name:	1468638179637.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	72.6 KB
ID:	133180  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2016, 09:30 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Sounds like a hydraulic hose is leaking/burst. Disengaging the auto brake won't fix the leaking hose or restore power steering and brakes. If you can remove the hose yourself, it can be duplicated by any local farm or earth moving equipment shop, even some auto parts stores can fabricate a new hose for you. A mobile mechanic could remove the hose and either get a new one or return when you have a new one to install.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 10:41 AM   #3

Assume worst case scenario it looks like a hose is broken.

Have a helper start engine and be ready to shut it off when yiu yell.

Watch what is in the photo for fluid to squirt out and yell if it does.

That will confirm it.

Today is Sunday so no action today unless yiu have tools and ability to get hose off unit then do that.

If you have no ability to do such work or if you have insurance do homework today.

Look up mobile equipment repair with road or farm equipment and be ready to start calling them Monday.

If insurance is manned today call them and advise yiu have a broken hose and need a vendor capable of replacing or repairing it.

Your photo looks more like a coax connector than hose but if it is just a failed connector the hose may be fine.

A mobile company can replace the connector as well as address why it failed.

Ask the insurance if they can work with the equipment places.

It looks like it snapped off meaning it is too short and under tension so it could have been replaced before.

A short hose could be added to compensate.

Be sure to determine via observation where it is leaking then get lots of good photos.
Old 07-17-2016, 01:13 PM   #4

I would stick with oldusebear on this, I have a 96 with this awful apb system, locked me up twice! now I have disconnected the thing. but I have a foot park brake. I have seen posts about a hand brake lever that was or still used in these vans, sm trucks with a knob that adjusts to take up slack, sold at auto parts stores or else ware. seems like a little of time looking this up. as far as power steering /brakes goes, I don't think they are related. the pict looks like a cable that works the apb. the steering/brakes [hydroboost] work as one unit separate from the apb, find the leak, replace hose?, should be good.
there is a pin that u can remove from the e-brake [around] the drive shaft that will disable it. follow from the e-brake [driveshaft]to a connection that has this pin to whatever and remove, brake should be disabled. caution,,, pin might be under tension since e-brake is locked, use long nose plyers and keep fingers away. mine is under pass side on frame rail. DONT forget to chalk wheels!! and remember u wont have any e-brake. it can be done. maybe look up something on internet, but I say get back with oldusebear.
larry
Old 07-17-2016, 02:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I think the original poster ask about two different problems. The first being the fluid at the power steering and the 2nd being the part hanging at the rear of the transmission.
Being a 1991 year make, I think the auto park works off the power steering pump. It sounds like there may be a leaking hose, hose connector or oil seal.
On the 1996 the auto park hydrolic system is located on the right side (passenger side) inside the frame.
Oldusedbear (Roger Haag) has the answer.
Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
I didn't link to disconnecting the autopark because if he were to disable the autopark, and drove it without power steering or power brakes, he's liable to burn up the power steering pump if it runs with no fluid in it. Not to mention the spewing of hydraulic fluid all over the campground until it's dry. Better to either get it repaired in place or take the faulty hose off and get a new one made.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-21-2016, 04:07 PM   #7

Thanks for the replies, sorry I haven't gotten back to anyone. I was able to read from my phone but had trouble posting???

I ended up getting towed out of the campground on Monday morning and the RV has been in the shop since then. Here's what I've learned so far:

The pictures that I posted had nothing to do with the problem. That was an 02 sensor that had broken off the exhaust. It's been replaced.

Apparently some type of pressure sensor/switch broke and all the fluid leaked out causing loss of power steering, power brake assist and engaging the autopark.

The shop has been having trouble identifying the proper switch, they've been sent in 3 that didn't work and the last one works mechanically BUT does not show the correct BRAKE condition (i.e., the dash BRAKE light is off when the autopark is engaged and comes on when you shift into drive). They don't want me to take it this way because if I'm driving down the road and it malfunctions I won't know it AND there will be no way for me to confirm that I have a parking brake when I park.

Latest info shows the correct part as being "Parking Brake Indicator Switch" (part #15688635). Can't find one locally, Amazon can get me one on Saturday . . . I hope this works, should know on Monday.
Old 07-22-2016, 08:59 AM   #8

If on sensor is broken then cat converter can get trashed.

We learned long ago the hard way that if you change cat converter to also change of sensor as that is final say to ECM regarding fuel control.

You likely have been running rich for some time so if you are in a smog check area have it checked before testing if not check it anyway as it can fail in a manner to restrict flow and impact performance.
Old 07-22-2016, 09:04 AM   #9

I think the CAT. converter is the least of OP's worries at the moment.
mchero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:08 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mchero View Post
I think the CAT. converter is the least of OP's worries at the moment.
I've got to agree, but I'm puzzled that the Check Engine light wouldn't have been triggered by an O2 sensor being disconnected.

Bob & Donna
Old 07-22-2016, 12:56 PM   #11

True least of worries but needs to be on the list of things to do later but not forgotten.
Old 07-22-2016, 05:33 PM   #12

The o2 sensor was bad on my 454 TBI but it didn't throw a hard o2 code. It eventually threw a rich code though but there's all sorts that could cause that.
kennyrodgers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 05:42 PM   #13

As long as there is a voltage no code but the unit gets lazy and indicates wrong resulting in bad mixture that causes failure.
Old 07-23-2016, 11:42 PM   #14

They are replacing the O2 sensor so we'll see what happens with that. It's a 1991 Winnebago on a 1990 chassis with a TBI 454, no OBD. The check engine light used to come on intermittently. As I said in the OP, we haven't used it a lot in the last few years. It hasn't been tuned up recently but starts and runs OK. I just hope the part that came in today is the correct one and we'll be set on Monday. We've got one small trip (75 miles each way) planned for next month, have to think about that? Sad to say but I think it may be time to start looking for a newer unit.