Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 05-24-2012, 09:34 AM   #1

New 2 rving bucket list

Hey all,

Just got an RV it's a 1988 fleetwood pace arrow with a 454 chevy. We got it last year from a couple with kids just getting into sports and he inherited it from his inlaws. Well needles to say it has 57k and is in great shape. I am here to ask for some advice for my long journey from Milwaukee to the redwood forest in California.

Recommendations welcome since i am newby. me and the wife are remodeling the Rv before we leave and here are some projects we are working on.

Convert double beds in back to king or queen bed
Figure out batteries? (dont charge when plugged in or on generator?)previous owner not technically inclined thinks he messed up battery wiring when he put back together.
Everything looks great no missing parts
Maintenance up to date
Power step not working (ideas) checked fuse all good.
Take home direct tv and install in rv somehow?
Towing? Would like to bring stick shift toyota carolla have big tow pkg on back with two steel round bars on either side of hitch but dont know what to get to hook up car?
And if you have any great places to stay or visit through the far northern usa let me know...
Glad to be a member
Fixed power window motor, fixed onan generator - so if you have questions glad to answer.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Hi Twinlaker! Welcome to IRV2. I can't answer your questions because we went I40 to CA and have yet to do the northern route. We stopped at welcome centers as we traveled and decided on things to stop for. Fortunately, some of the obvious were off I40. Grand Canyon, Graceland, Nashville, etc.
I hope you can get your remodeling done soon so you can get out and enjoy touring the country. Keep us posted on your adventures. Have fun and safe travels.

bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinlaker View Post
Hey all,

Just got an RV it's a 1988 fleetwood pace arrow with a 454 chevy. We got it last year from a couple with kids just getting into sports and he inherited it from his inlaws. Well needles to say it has 57k and is in great shape. I am here to ask for some advice for my long journey from Milwaukee to the redwood forest in California.

Recommendations welcome since i am newby.

Check the DOT date codes on the tires. RV tires get old and go bad long before the tread wears out, so you can't go by that. After about 5-6 years, you should have them inspected by a pro.

If you don't have multi-meter, get one and never leave home without it. Rvs can be electrical nightmares.

Quote:
Figure out batteries? (dont charge when plugged in or on generator?)previous owner not technically inclined thinks he messed up battery wiring when he put back together.
You should either have two 12v batteries wired in parallel, or two 6v batteries wired in series. So it's very possible they're wired wrong if he didn't know what he was doing. Confirm batts are good and wired properly. When on shore power or generator, the battery converter/charger should be putting out about 13.6v. If not, check 110v power source. If good there, it could be a bad converter. Check all cable connections and make sure they are clean and tight. You especially want to do this on the frame grounds.

Here's a good read on 12v systems.
The 12volt Side of Life (Part 1)
Quote:
Power step not working (ideas) checked fuse all good.
These seize up easily if not regularly lubricated. There should be a pin which you can remove to disconnect the steps from the motor. If they move easily by hand, then you have an electrical problem. Since most steps work off the chassis batt, it will have to be good.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 01:14 PM   #4

National RV Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Hello and welcome to iRV2.
ghoststories is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2012, 09:56 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Howdy and welcome to the forum!

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2012, 06:39 AM   #6

Ok so we are on the 4th day of rv remodel, u can see our progress on you tube (norstarguru) do a search. Thanks for the tips. Contacted kwikee on step -they no longer make parts, i think i am just gonna get a manual step. Converted two singles to a queen in the back - pulled carpet and put in wood floors. Any questions let me know, thanks for all the tips.

Tags
rving