Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-23-2015, 06:18 AM   #253

I recovered/rebuilt an old fabric airplane a few years back. An incredibly labor intensive project, it took me almost 4 years start to finish. By far, the biggest single project I've ever attempted. I viewed the time I spent on that as "extra" time. Time available where I wouldn't normally have been doing something else. I took much of the summers off, just to get away from it, allowing myself to focus on other things (like my wife!) for a while.

Best advice I got was to focus on one piece at a time - do not focus on the mountain of parts that are yet to be done. I tried to work on it a few minutes a day, even if I didn't feel like it when starting out. Many times I'd tell myself, OK, just 20 minutes tonight - and turn the lights out 2-3 hours later. If I caught myself even thinking shortcut, it was time to quit for the day.

When finished, it took me months re-adjusting to a more "normal" lifestyle. One that didn't involve that plane out in the garage.... FWIW, -Al
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2015, 12:16 AM   #254

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Piker another tool to keep everything aligned is to use double back tape. You can remove it before your final install.
Bill

I was thinking about that since I saw a trailer built with it years ago. These guys were machinists and welders, and rapid prototypers.
They used 2x2 like these walls seem to be and .040 alum outer wall and stuck it together with the 3M double stick. No rivets, nothing. They tested this and the aluminum ripped before the tape.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #255

It still looks pretty good. I don't think it would be worth your time for what you'd end up with. I completely refurbished a 58 avion trailer ten years ago. It was fun and I sold it for much more than I had in it. I wouldn't have felt good if I gave up my time, spent all the money, then had to give away the unit.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:53 AM   #256

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizona View Post
It still looks pretty good. I don't think it would be worth your time for what you'd end up with. I completely refurbished a 58 avion trailer ten years ago. It was fun and I sold it for much more than I had in it. I wouldn't have felt good if I gave up my time, spent all the money, then had to give away the unit.
It's kind of late to decide it "still looks pretty good" since there isn't any siding on the passenger side anymore. Truth is, pictures are deceiving and it does look really rough, not to mention the rot and the bare wires underneath.

That said... I'm pretty sure this isn't worth my time anymore... and you're right... it's not worth a dime at this point. I should probably bail before I get any deeper.

It's fine. You know what they say about your best laid plans...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:07 AM   #257

I just bought a used class A gasser 34 ft. I was concerned about appearance and mechanical condition. Like you I had a budget and wanted the biggest bang for the buck. When I got it in the hanger last night I was playing around with different products I had on hand from car restoration and aircraft maintanence to freshen up the slightly dulled fiberglass exterior.
I read your post and I put myself in your position and here is how I see it. I have looked at some of the new units and would love to be in one myself. I don't because if I did get one I like you would have the constant concern over the debt. As an old crew chief and type A DIY'er I take pride in the condition and appearance of all my vehicles and airplanes I fly and maintain. That being said at this stage in my life there's a trade off between what's reaseonable financially and what effort I am willing to expend. I think I would do my best to repair the corrosion and insure it doesn't return and paint it. The whole object for me is to enjoy my time on the road not fretting over meticulous appearance of my rig. If you go the panel replacement route you are not only taking on a major project but a major expense as well. Not to mention the time off the road. I think the improvements you have made on the interior, which look nice BTW, make a bigger difference than a major exterior rework. I guess I am turning into a type B in my old age. In short I guess I am finally stopping to smell the roses.
Skymark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 06:16 AM   #258

Looks like I missed the most important page. Lucky you tore it apart and found the bare wires. All in all it doesn't look that bad. If you are starting to lose steam you should figure the cheapest and quickest way to get it back in use.
Good luck
Old 08-27-2015, 06:18 AM   #259

I appreciate the comments skymark... but the issue at this point is that I've already torn one side off. I have no choice but to repair at least that side if I want to ever go RVing again.

Here's the deal though... When I got into this, I KNEW I couldn't afford a newer RV. I assumed I could afford an older one, but after several financial hits that were completely unexpected, it appears that perhaps even an older one is not in the budget anymore.

The good news is, I don't have any debt for this RV. It can rot in the garage for the next 30 years if I want it to, and it doesn't have to cause me any more financial difficulty unless I choose for it to. At this point, I really feel a bit discouraged... all the hours of overtime to try and pay for this restoration... all the hours of restoration that actually take time away from my family... and the little things like the fact that the $3000 in tires that are on it are probably going to go bad from age before I can get this finished... and the fact that my kids aren't getting any younger... it all weighs on me.

Sometimes turning back is ok when your on a road that leads to a cliff...

I don't know what I'll do. Like I said, with no debt, I don't really have to do anything right at the moment. It will be ok no matter what... that much is certain.

-cheers
Old 08-27-2015, 07:31 AM   #260
bap

i know i have been in your shoes,,i walked away for awhile then one day i looked over and had new view of the project and jumped back in with both feet and ----BAM,,,,one of the best overhauls i have ever done,,,,,-----i guess what im saying is to step away and take a breath,,get your mind off of it,,,like you said it isnt eating anything sitting there,,lol,,,,,----then see if it jumps back into your view...

now go fishing or something.......best of luck,,,
Old 08-27-2015, 08:26 AM   #261

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Why don't you take the wife and kids on a long weekend and just relax. You have ben working a lot of hours and need a brake. You deserve to spend some time just chilling with the family.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2015, 07:24 PM   #262

I just realized that I haven't really had any time off since July of 2014 except for I missed 3 days of work because of the flu last winter. Gonna take a week off over labor day and try to relax. I won't be able to completely separate myself from work cause I still have to monitor emails and such... but that's not the worst thing in the world. I'm definitely going to step away from the rv for a bit and see what happens. It's hard to do that cause I just wanna go camping, and every time I step back just makes the process that much longer... but it's the right thing to do... for my family... and for my sanity.

I'll catch up with y'all when I have a better feel for which direction this project needs to take... making a decision when I'm a little discouraged is not probably a great idea. Thanks for all the opinions and insight.

Cheers
Old 08-27-2015, 07:45 PM   #263

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Go just relax some place. I know how it can wear you down. I use to work to much overtime to.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 03:01 PM   #264

Fleetwood Owners Club
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I just realized that I haven't really had any time off since July of 2014 except for I missed 3 days of work because of the flu last winter. Gonna take a week off over labor day and try to relax. I won't be able to completely separate myself from work cause I still have to monitor emails and such... but that's not the worst thing in the world. I'm definitely going to step away from the rv for a bit and see what happens. It's hard to do that cause I just wanna go camping, and every time I step back just makes the process that much longer... but it's the right thing to do... for my family... and for my sanity.

I'll catch up with y'all when I have a better feel for which direction this project needs to take... making a decision when I'm a little discouraged is not probably a great idea. Thanks for all the opinions and insight.

Cheers
Definitely step back and think. Enjoy some down time, and I, as someone who is like many of these ole timers on here, I remember the days I did things and still want to do more, but I have never been out of the garage, so to speak.
Your children and wife want you to take a little time with them, if just to get away from the garage. I didn't know any balance in my life during those years, and it cost me. If you enjoyed the trips in the RV, try a few without it and see if you can do that. I know you will get what you want done, done. We have all seen that and congratulate you, on the fine rebuild on the engine, other things you have shared with us.

Take care,
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 06:48 PM   #265

Quote:
Originally Posted by miwok View Post
Definitely step back and think. Enjoy some down time, and I, as someone who is like many of these ole timers on here, I remember the days I did things and still want to do more, but I have never been out of the garage, so to speak.
Your children and wife want you to take a little time with them, if just to get away from the garage. I didn't know any balance in my life during those years, and it cost me. If you enjoyed the trips in the RV, try a few without it and see if you can do that. I know you will get what you want done, done. We have all seen that and congratulate you, on the fine rebuild on the engine, other things you have shared with us.

Take care,
Appreciate the comments miwok.

We're camping in the driveway again this weekend, and the kids love it. We have snacks, a movie, and each other. Life is good. So is God. Just gotta relax and take it all in.

-cheers
Old 08-29-2015, 01:27 AM   #266

Ive been reading your post for several weeks and I'm impressed with your talent to do things correctly. I'm a retired aircraft manufacturing engineer and have been rving since the late 70s. After reading your last posting take it from a old guy who worked tons of over time and burnout more than once rest your body and your mind play with your kids. Now for a suggestion that may help I have a 1996 Allegro I have been making the way I want it for the past several years. I needed new tires as my old ones were starting to show some cracking and I priced the major brands and your right 3k plus for tires. I did a lot of reading up on tires on several other rv sites. I read about Samsons and several others had put them on there coaches and had thousands of trouble free miles on them. I decided to talk with my local tire shops and found that the school buses used them and local EMS. I put 6 on my coach about 2 years ago have about 5000 miles on them and they are G load rated and 14 ply they ride great and they cost me $1320 maybe they would work for you and save some money. Being retired they fit my budget and yes they are a China made tire.
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote