Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-29-2015, 06:55 PM   #267

Took the rv out for a couple runs up the hill today trying to seat the new rings after the rebuild. The engine seems to be running well... but I did notice something... the styrofoam insulation I put in the walls... it squeaks a little.

I now see at least one benefit to the fiberglass...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-30-2015, 09:44 AM   #268

Spartan Chassis
Piker..
Keep up the good work! I have followed your engine rebuild and now refurbishing your coach.. You will be proud of the results and the memories you and your family will create in her!
Living Vicariously through you..
Ron Husak
04 Travel Supreme 40DS04 400 Cummins ISL
rhusak is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 06:14 PM   #269

Update... a few pics

I took this week off from work, and am getting some much needed rest on what is turning out to be a nice little "staycation." The wife and I have gone to breakfast every morning together after we drop the girls off at school... and then we do dinner out with the girls when we pick them up... and of course, we've been camping in the driveway every night. Luckily the weather has held up, what with no siding and all.

I have managed to find a little time on staycation to work on the RV. When I last posted, I was sandblasting the hinges on the storage compartment doors... well half of each hinge that is... the half that goes up under the siding. They were right up against the steel sub frame, and being aluminum, they had quite a bit of oxidation on the little hoops. The other half of the hinges, the sides that screw to the doors, are "decent." Not perfect... but probably good enough. I would have done both halves, but my air compressor isn't the best, and it only maintains about 50 psi while blasting continuously. The pump is almost 30 years old, so there's no shame for it... but it took FOREVER...

Anyways, after what seemed like weeks of getting nowhere, I finally have the hinges on the passenger side sandblasted, primered, and painted. See the pics below. They turned out ok. The paint actually matches pretty decent, though the oxidation was pretty deep on some of them and the pitting is still visible. At least the part that goes against the steel is now protected... I will probably add another layer of undercoating or something to the steel before I put these back on.

I also went to work on stripping the ZEP floor finish off the doors. This stuff really saved my butt from all the over spray I got on the doors last fall when I was attempting to fix the original aluminum siding. (first pic of the door is before it was completely cleaned up) The doors are cleaning up pretty good... again... not perfect... but probably good enough.

I have to admit that I struggle with wanting to make things perfect... and it's simply not practical. There are half a dozen little dents in the doors, and several scratches here and there... I wish I had the time and resources to just make everything new again... but to put it plain and simple... I just don't. It's ok... and it's probably good for me to let go of those unrealistic expectations.

So I guess that's all for now. I think tonight I'm going to go ahead and order a 5 gallon bucket of contact adhesive... I don't think it will take too long to get the storage compartment doors back on... after which, it's time to start hanging siding. Maybe I do get a panel up before winter yet!

Wow... I just realized how long winded I am when I post on these forums... my apologies...

-cheers

Old 09-10-2015, 08:53 PM   #270

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You have certainly earned some time off. I agree with you. You could spend a long time and lots of money and make it like new. I think a better goal is serviceable not nessacareley like new. The goal is to get it where you can have some fun using your coach.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 02:20 PM   #271

Vintage RV Owners Club
Those look fantastic! I think you have the right mindest going forward, I had to take a step back when I got my project RV. The plan was to make her clean, serviceable, presentable, and something that my family and I could enjoy. I have a bit of OCD when it comes to project vehicles and I know that I could have easily gotten sucked in at which point my kids would have been all grown up before I had my 1977 RV looking like new, LOL. I decided to save my OCD for my car project and am happy knowing I have met my goals for my RV and will continue to work on improving it and enjoying it with the family.

I will continue watching your thread as its an inspiration!

Matt
matthewc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 03:40 PM   #272

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewc View Post
Those look fantastic! I think you have the right mindest going forward, I had to take a step back when I got my project RV. The plan was to make her clean, serviceable, presentable, and something that my family and I could enjoy. I have a bit of OCD when it comes to project vehicles and I know that I could have easily gotten sucked in at which point my kids would have been all grown up before I had my 1977 RV looking like new, LOL. I decided to save my OCD for my car project and am happy knowing I have met my goals for my RV and will continue to work on improving it and enjoying it with the family.

I will continue watching your thread as its an inspiration!

Matt
I really appreciate the encouragement... and the sentiment. It's good to know I'm not the only one...

Last night I ordered the 5 gallon bucket of contact adhesive... today they contacted me to let me know the freight was going to be $152.00

Hazmat... what a pain. I could drive to Elkhart Indiana for less and just pick the stuff up... that's if I had time to do that. I haven't decided what I'm going to do... whether I just bite the bullet and spend the $$ or see if I can't find something locally. With freight, this stuff would be $350... enough to laminate 1 side of the RV... a process that I have no idea if it's even going to work.

I think it's the right stuff to use though... and it's actually cheap compared to anything made by 3M...

I keep waiting for this project to get easier, but it never seems to.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:25 PM   #273

Gulf Streamers Club
Piker, I also am fixing up my old MH, for the use of me and just retired wife Rebecca. I am almost 71 years old and will not be able to travel too many years in the future. So my goals with this old MH are to get it into decent, safe, usable shape and then use it. Money is scarce so I have to pick and choose on what to do. The MH sides were seriously sad with very bad decal running around beltline and very faded maroon paint. So I painted it myself. Took lots of time and more than $500 but it looks so much better. This MH has serious delamination of the fiberglass in places but that is a battle I choose not to fight. I simply cannot afford the time or money to fix. We are currently in New Mexico enjoying some cool mountain weather. I encourage you in your effort to get the new siding complete to your satisfaction, and then be able to use that thing like you want.

A couple of pictures of my before and after.

Hang in there, it will be great when you get her back on the road again.

ronspradley
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH before painting.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	106650   Click image for larger version

Name:	MH in Littlefield, Tx.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	106651  

ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 07:31 PM   #274

That's pretty awesome Ron. Thanks for the pics and the insight.

You and I are kind of in the same boat I think. While I'm only 39... and hopefully quite a few years away from not being able to travel... our girls are growing up fast. My dream has always been to enjoy the RV with them while they are young... Our oldest still seems little to us right now, but in 6 short years she'll probably be off to college. That really doesn't leave me with much time to do what I originally set out to do 3 years ago. That said... I think we're still making some great memories with them in the RV, and maybe, just maybe, as they watch their mom and dad deal with some of the struggles we've faced over this pursuit, we are preparing them for the struggles and disappointments that they will inevitably face along their path through life.

Anyways... all for now. I'm going to stop thinking about this for the night and sleep on it... I'll decide in the morning whether or not I'm really going to freak out over a $150 freight bill or not... LOL...

-cheers
Old 09-11-2015, 07:38 PM   #275

Gulf Streamers Club
When I saw your post on how you felt about the sound that the straight six diesel makes with straight pipes, I had a pretty good idea you were going to finish the siding on your MH and get out there and go camping.

And on the contact cement, you can't do better price wise if you get 5 one gallon cans instead of the one 5 gallon container. It would make it easier to control/contain in the smaller containers too. I would think that one big container would be hard to open and close unless you are going to use all at once. Anyway, all the best in your quest. Whatever the outcome, it will be good, and what you and your family needed.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2015, 09:31 PM   #276

Plus once opened it wants to cure.

So look for free shipping on amazon.
Old 09-11-2015, 10:17 PM   #277

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Piker, I agree with Ron and Tony, get the smaller containers, and buy them at the local hardware store if they have what you want. Also, the Hazmat charge is a load of crap, the five gallon bucket is under the " Reportable Quantity's" amount and weight? Look elsewhere! Rail!
Old 09-12-2015, 12:00 AM   #278

I think as far as shipping is concerned, you'd have to buy the adhesive in quantities of less than 1 quart in order to get around Hazmat. That would be fine... great actually... except this stuff is "production grade" and only comes in "production quantities" - the smallest of which is 1 gallon. I have an email from them stating that it would cost the same to ship (5) 1 gallon containers as 5 gallons except the price per gallon is $15 more in single gallon containers - both would have to ship Hazmat. UPS wont even touch the stuff...

Bender's 618

I'd have to do some more investigating if I'm going to purchase a different adhesive. The stuff I was looking at here is specifically sold to the RV industry for laminating filon and aluminum skins to luan or plywood. I spoke directly with Bender's about it... and it seems to be the type of adhesive I'd be looking for... solvent based... nasty terrible stuff, difficult to work with, but tough as nails and able to withstand the heat. The last thing i want is for these to delaminate because I used the wrong glue...

I had contacted 3M a while ago, and they gave me suggestions as to what to use, but I can't find the email. I think I'll hold off for a bit... and see if I can't come up with something different. I just want to make sure I use the right stuff.

As far as hanging the aluminum in a different orientation... (this has been suggested before) it's tough to see in the pictures without a tape measure, but the studs are not placed with even spacing, nor are they even parallel with each other for that matter. This framing was hacked together all crooked like monkeys did the work. I suppose since the panels went up full length, they didn't need to be straight. Really, for being one of the "better built" models of it's day, this thing seems to have been constructed with two things in mind... FAST and CHEAP... maybe 1993 was a rough year for HR... so they cut costs in 1994...

At this point, I'm pretty much determined to try and build OEM type exterior panels the length of the RV... I think it can be done... I think it's the best bet for appearance given the lousy framing... I just need to make sure I use the right materials for glue and wood substrate...

-cheers
Old 09-12-2015, 12:29 AM   #279

I believe this is 3M's version of the Bender's 618 - neoprene contact adhesive:

3M 1357

Pricey!!

Here's the same stuff in a 5 gallon pail - this site shows shipping UPS ground for $10... ???

3M 1357 5 gallons

-cheers
Old 09-12-2015, 07:42 AM   #280

My wife told me to quit whining over an extra $100 and order the darn glue...

So I did.

The mfg recommends spraying instead of rolling or troweling... but it can be rolled or troweled I guess. Not sure if I invest in a spray gun for this or not. I think I can get a regular pressure pot paint sprayer from harbor freight but with a bigger tip for shooting adhesive for around $70.

A notched trowel is only like $6 though. I'll have to do some testing...

Sooooooo... all i need now is to track down some 1/4" marine plywood.

I can hear a terrible sucking sound coming from my wallet. What are ya gonna do though...

-cheers