Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2015, 06:42 PM   #365

American Coach Owners Club
Nice Job, Looks like something that Howard Hughes Built !
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #366

Checking in...

Nothing extra to report... just checking in and keeping this thread alive. It's been about 2 months since I've posted here... in that time, as expected, we haven't moved forward much at all on this project.

I can't believe how mild the winter has been so far. Had I known, I could have easily finished building and hanging the last panel on the passenger side of the RV. It's not all bad though, as I've been free to concentrate a lot of time at work in order to save up some extra $$ for the rest of the materials that are necessary. I will finish this year out with 965 hours of overtime. Not too shabby, although at times I do wonder how long I can keep up this pace... I figure I might as well make hay when the sun shines though...

We are hoping that by January we'll know where we're at with our income tax situation, and we can make a decision on how to proceed with our RV dream. I always have the shop take out less than is necessary for withholding, and we bank the cash instead of letting the gov't use it. Come April... we write a check. (I think if everyone did this there would be a lot less gov't waste cause people would actually pay attention to how much they pay in and would ask questions about it's use... but I digress)... Anyways, it looks like this year we might have saved more for taxes than was necessary... if that's the case, we'll probably put the excess towards another roll of aluminum and some marine plywood... enough to finish the passenger side and get the old wagon on the road again. We would save the repair on the driver's side for another year...

Now, things can change... but right now I have this dream... that by late spring I'll have the passenger side all sealed up, painted, and ready for camping... Maybe even get the end caps painted as well... and that we'll be taking another big trip out west come mid-summer. Maybe even all the way to the pacific coast. The hope is that my aging, widowed mom (85) will be well enough to go with us, along with my older brother, (23 years older) who has been as much a father figure to me as a brother throughout my life. We will see... Keep your fingers crossed... and say a prayer. I know it won't be the end of the world if the trip doesn't pan out, but it does seem like a worthy pursuit. This was the crew we had when we went out west in 2013, along with our two young daughters... and we had the best time ever together. What a blessing it would be to repeat the dream...

My only fear, I guess, would be heading out that far on a rebuilt cummins with so few miles on it... especially one rebuilt by li'l-ol' me... I hope I did everything right, and that it holds up... only time will tell. I'll just make sure I have enough money saved up for airplane tickets home for everyone if the old girl dies in the middle of the desert or on top of a mountain somewhere...

So, I guess that's all for now. I just wanted to stop in and say "hey" and to keep the thread from closing before I'm able to finish the project.

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 04:36 PM   #367

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well don't let anything stop you from your dreams. I think you did a great job on the engine. I wouldn't have any reservations heading out. You are smarter than a lot of people who don't have boost and EGT gages. Are you going to keep your water/methanol injection system? I keep thinking I want one(Banks) but having a hard time giving up the room for the water tank.
I don't remember if you had a toad. I can't leave home without one.
Looking forward to the new year.
Bill
Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 05:53 PM   #368

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Well don't let anything stop you from your dreams. I think you did a great job on the engine. I wouldn't have any reservations heading out. You are smarter than a lot of people who don't have boost and EGT gages. Are you going to keep your water/methanol injection system? I keep thinking I want one(Banks) but having a hard time giving up the room for the water tank.
I don't remember if you had a toad. I can't leave home without one.
Looking forward to the new year.
Bill
Merry Christmas and a safe and Happy New Year!
Well... Sometimes dreams don't come true. It's just a reality of life. Best any of us can do is to pursue our dreams, but there's never any guarantees.

Thanks for the encouragement on the rebuild. I think it will probably be ok, but time will tell for sure. I ditched the water injection... When I tore the engine down, I found a tremendous amount of calcium and lime deposits in the intake area of the head... It looked like ceramic. I had never thought about minerals in the water baking on to the internals... But it makes sense. It looks like Snow water injection no longer condones the use of water from your potable tank either... They used to sell their rv kits with that in mind. Apparently it's not such a great idea as I've found out. I suppose if you wanted to drive around with 50 gallons of distiller water it would be ok, but we used like 40 gallons in a day rolling across the Arizona desert. It's just not practical.

We don't have a toad... Well... We don't pull a toad anyways. I bought an older wrangler 2 years ago specifically so we could take it with us on trips... But that was right about the time we dusted the engine, which we are still recovering from. I can't say at this point whether the toad will ever be a reality or not. It's quite a bit more expense just to get set up properly to pull it, not to mention it's extra wear and tear on the jeep that equates to more expense as well. For now, pulling a toad is not really on the table. Maybe someday... We seem to be able to get around pretty good since our rig is only 34', though we have rented a car before when we stay somewhere for more than a few days.

Cheers
Old 12-26-2015, 07:34 PM   #369

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
The high consumption with the Snow system is the main reason I was looking at Banks. It looks like I can adjust the flow with reducing when it comes on and by what percent it comes in at you can get different spray heads. 40 gal a day and I am trying to find room for a 7 gal tank.. Well I have room I just don't know if I want to give it up.
I would start looking for a used tow bar and baseplate and maybe a aux brake system on Craig's list or in different RV sites for sale list. I found my setup cheap. I know you are still working and don't have as much time as you would like for travel. Having a toad adds to what you can see and do.
It also adds to your safety. Ok enough
Bill
Old 12-27-2015, 01:55 AM   #370

Fleetwood Owners Club
Piker, I talked to a guy in TX about his coach and he filters everything, since he sells the too. He mentioned three, and it made bottled water sound insufficiently done. He like charcoal, ceramic, and another one. Anti viral I think.
I am just glad you took a break, it was vital to keep you healthy for your family. If you get to Northern Cali, I would suggest things only the locals have told me. Everyone wants to hit the urine soaked cities, and I like the trees and trails. Or Dizzyland, won't be a good resource for that, but kids being who they are you may make that your trip. Good luck getting the rest of that side done, then maybe a trip!

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 07:07 AM   #371

Miwok,

I can't speak to what type of filtering would be necessary to remove any type of dissolved or suspended minerals/particulates in tap water that would make it perfectly safe for water injection... but I did know if I removed the system altogether, it would take care of all my doubts about it. Once I straight piped the exhaust (yeah... I'm one of those guys ) the need to keep EGT lower with the water injection was unnecessary.

As far as our next big travel dream... There are a few places we want to revisit that we saw on our last trip, but perhaps by taking a few different routes through each area. The Badlands of SD... Mt. Rushmore... Crazy Horse... Devil's Tower... The trip over the Bighorn Mtns. (via 14a instead of 14 this time)... and then instead of heading straight across northern WY, we would cut up to Red Lodge, MT and take Beartooth pass into the northeast entrance to Yellowstone. From there we would revisit Colter Bay Village in Grand Teton Nat'l Park, and then cut across Idaho and Oregon to make our way to the Pacific. We would travel down hwy 101 along the coast and then cut across 299 in northern California to stay well clear of the Sacramento and San Francisco area. Then down the eastern side of Yosemite, and through Death Valley... and then on to Hoover Dam and down to Tucson to visit an old friend of my mom's who retired there 20 years ago... then White Sands... Carlsbad... and then a bee-line home. There would only be a few places where we would stop for 2 or 3 nights for rest... maybe 4 nights in tucson just to hang out by the pool before we head home. Total trip would be 24 or 25 days.

That's the dream anyways... probably around 7500 miles. Yes, that is a super aggressive travel schedule for most people, but it's how we choose to roll while we're young enough to do it. My favorite thing in the world is driving that big old motorhome across the open plains and up into the mountains, and I never seem to tire of it... The crew in the back seems to enjoy it too, as they never tire of seeing new and amazing landscapes. Mom doesn't get around so good these days anyways, so she just plops down in that front seat and helps me as co-pilot... just like she used to co-pilot for dad. It's just good all around. I suppose some day I'll not be able to put in 700 or 800 miles a day, but while I can, I'll enjoy every minute of it... god willing...

all for now.

-cheers
Old 12-27-2015, 11:34 AM   #372

Fleetwood Owners Club
Wow. Wanna go that way myself. I did drive over Hoover, or the bypass. Not sure if you can get your rig over any more, the truckers were telling me. I am in the Sac SF area, yet I go away from those instead of to them, although they have things to see. They are straightening out 299 so it is easier than it used to be. The western half you can shoot a movie. Eureka take everyone to Samoa Cookhouse on the island. Planty of motorhome parking.

Old 12-27-2015, 12:40 PM   #373

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by miwok View Post
Piker, I talked to a guy in TX about his coach and he filters everything, since he sells the too. He mentioned three, and it made bottled water sound insufficiently done. He like charcoal, ceramic, and another one. Anti viral I think.
I am just glad you took a break, it was vital to keep you healthy for your family. If you get to Northern Cali, I would suggest things only the locals have told me. Everyone wants to hit the urine soaked cities, and I like the trees and trails. Or Dizzyland, won't be a good resource for that, but kids being who they are you may make that your trip. Good luck getting the rest of that side done, then maybe a trip!
miwok, We are not talking drinking water. If I want drinking water I head into the urine soaked cities.
Bill
Old 12-27-2015, 03:57 PM   #374

Fleetwood Owners Club
I don't know what you know. But good guys have always advised me to put clean water in engines, batteries, and my body. I carry that over to combustion as well.

Old 12-27-2015, 04:40 PM   #375

So today, I started making a list of everything that needs done to get us back on the road... and then compared it to everything that I'd LIKE to get done before we get back on the road. Looks like I'm going to have to make some decisions...

My dilemma is this... when it comes to the exterior, it would be nice if I could replace all the siding and prep the entire rv for paint and then shoot it all at once. In the long run, this is actually quite a bit less work... but short term, I think it's too big of a project to take on and still try to make it out west this coming summer, both from a time perspective, and also financially. So I'm left with figuring out how to plan the paint and stripe scheme so make the project "modular..." and to prevent us from looking like the "scary" RV in every campground we arrive at while the project is underway.

Right now, the paint scheme actually goes over the vinyl trim and caulking that runs around the edge of the siding panels. If I want to be able to do this project in stages, I'll have to come up with a way to incorporate the color of the vinyl/caulk into the scheme so that every panel and end cap is it's own entity, and can be prepped and painted by itself as time and money permit. I'd also like to be able to paint the new exterior panels before I put the windows and access panels (fridge, furnace, etc) back in... so that I don't have masking lines around them. It's kind of a lot to figure out... and for the most part, I'm at a disadvantage because I'm artistically challenged... I just don't really know what will look nice and what won't...

Anyways... just thinking out loud... and open to suggestions...

-cheers
Old 12-27-2015, 04:52 PM   #376

Piker, it is great to hear from you again. I hope your New Year will be a wonderful one. Thanks for all you have done and documented for the rest of us to learn from. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 06:05 PM   #377

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
You might find some ideas hear.
https://www.youtube.com/results?sear...ng+rv+exterior
Bill
Old 12-27-2015, 06:39 PM   #378

Gulf Streamers Club
Piker, I painted my old MH this year in stages, because of time constraints and because it was just too much of a job to paint it all at once. Course, that meant three body preps and repairs, three sanding, three tape and paper, three primer, three sanding again, and three paint. I would still do it that way again if I had the need. It looks pretty good, of course I am comparing that to the old faded maroon paint so nearly anything would be an improvement. Did I mention it took me a week to get the old decals/stripes off. Adding pictures to show process.

ronspradley

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MH before painting.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	220.3 KB
ID:	115088   Click image for larger version

Name:	last of decal removal.JPG
Views:	102
Size:	126.0 KB
ID:	115089  

Click image for larger version