Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-28-2015, 06:46 AM   #379

That's pretty cool Ron...

I'm still trying to wrap my head around how to deal with the vinyl trim and caulking between paint sessions that will be months apart...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-28-2015, 06:59 AM   #380

Thoughts?

I was thinking of going with a black/brown/grey color scheme... The grey is already in place along the bottom of the rv. Maybe leaving the roof the off-whitish color that it is...

But I was wondering if the black is a bad idea? There wouldn't be a lot of it... some on the front end cap... and some stripes... I was worried about heat on the fiberglass. Would this be an issue or not?

-duane
Old 12-28-2015, 08:27 AM   #381

Actually... the best thing to do would probably be to just repaint the panels with a matching off-white... and then worry about the stripes and touch-up after the other side is done... This would probably make us "less scary" looking.

I dunno... like I said, I really don't have much experience in this realm...

-cheers
Old 12-28-2015, 04:51 PM   #382

Base Coat/ Clear Coat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
I agree sticking with a simple one step paint like Acrylic, some of those others are nice and durable but without the proper safety equipment they will kill you. I understand about stepping away, catch your breath it'll go much easier when you go back to it. Take care.
Actually, 2 stage paint is not as difficult as one might think, the base lays down and dries very fast and with in 45 minutes you can clear. The only problem on something so large is where to have your breaking points (start and stop), unless you have a 2 gallon paint pot ,so you can make it completely around the coach without stopping. With aluminum you will want to use an epoxy primer for good adhesion, then about any kind of paint will stick to that. I have been working on my old coach, just the bottom area all around. Looks like you are doing a real good job too and doing a good job takes time. Being I am a cabinet/furniture maker by trade I would love to gut my motorhome and put in real wood (plain sliced white oak) cabinets and wall panels throughout but, we would never get out to the rec club with the grandchildren. This year we ended up going in the beginning of November for the first time because I had it tore apart for painting. I ended up getting just the nose and around the sides to the doors primed, put the grill and the lights in and went. Even with the primer blotches and some bare metal showing, we still had fun and not too many people pointed at us . lol
Deano56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 05:14 PM   #383

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
You still need the proper safety equipment to paint any, but some of the other paints are very small particles and will go thru the "normal" respirators, that's why now most body shops use a fresh air system.
Old 12-28-2015, 06:14 PM   #384

Ya, the hardener that you put in automotive paint is pretty much super glue... and pretty much deadly. Walking into an atmosphere of atomized paint hardener is a no-no without a good respirator.

So, I think I've decided on a path to take with regard to the whole painting thing... I'm just going to keep it simple... In my mind I've had these pictures of grandiose paint schemes with 3 or 4 different colors and swooshes and swirls etc. But it's just not practical, especially when trying to stage the paint job over what might take a couple years so that we can go camping in the meantime.

When the last new panel goes up on the passenger side, I'm going to match the original cream color and just paint the whole thing solid... no stripes... nothing fancy. I'll most likely repaint the end caps at this point too... and also replace the vinyl over the seams.

Maybe next winter I can tear the drivers side apart and rebuild it like I did the passenger side... It seems like once the driver's side is replaced, painting stripes all the way around the rv in one shot would be the ticket. And in the meantime, maybe we won't get pointed at much either...

I played around with some photos this evening... the first is what the original siding looked like. The second is what a solid colored panel would look like without stripes... the third is just kind of nasty, and is what dark colored vinyl would look like around the edges of the panel. I told you I have no talent in this area... I suspect I'll try to find some vinyl that will match the paint or be slightly darker...

Suggestions welcome...

-cheers

Old 12-28-2015, 06:33 PM   #385

Quote:
You still need the proper safety equipment to paint any, but some of the other paints are very small particles and will go thru the "normal" respirators, that's why now most body shops use a fresh air system.
I'm not sure what you mean by safety equipment, of course you need the appropriate respirator, body shops are spraying all day every day, so you cannot compare a one or two time painting project with them. A good osha approved respirator is not all that costly, usually less than a hundred dollars. As far as smaller particles, not sure where you are getting that unless you mean a better spray gun gives you smaller droplets which will be a better finish. Still a two stage respirator takes care of that. I've sprayed many cabinets with every kind of finish including 2 part conversion varnishes, their hardener or activator combined with the finish was just as harmful as any automotive finish that there is. Any automotive acrylic enamel should be used with a hardener if you want a longer lasting and durable finish. All in all, I am saying don't shy away from good finishes just because you don't have a fresh air mask, many people don't use them and are not suffering from health problems, me included. never spray with a dust mask
Old 12-28-2015, 07:19 PM   #386

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
I ran a body shop for years and anytime someone wants to down grade your safety even for one job.......paint comes in different viscosity check it out that's all I'm going to say on the subject, not going to get into a pi$$ing contest over it.
Old 12-28-2015, 07:37 PM   #387

Quote:
I ran a body shop for years and anytime someone wants to down grade your safety even for one job.......paint comes in different viscosity check it out that's all I'm going to say on the subject, not going to get into a pi$$ing contest over it.
Who's talking about not being safe??? doesn't matter if you ran a body shop for years or I ran a cabinet shop for years, yes paint is mixed at different viscosity, you don't need a fresh air setup to be safe, yes it's easier to breath thru but nothing wrong with a good 2 or 3 stage respirator. I still sandblast and spray 2 part finishes, automotive, commercial and industrial. I can have a opinion too, you know? Brother
Old 12-28-2015, 11:07 PM   #388

Fleetwood Owners Club
There are some large paint booths in truck repair places, you might just farm it out? Everyone is good at one thing, most two, but I farm out paint. Guys can tell me how to prep and sand, but still all I save is some time on prep. Paint like you guys say is really complex, and if you are in Cali and don't have a booth to bake it, you almost illegal. I would worry about my kids breathing it, and I don't have kids. I did work on a furniture factory a while, and that was not too bad.

1993 Pace Arrow Diesel Allison 6 spd
Cummins 8.3C Oshkosh M chassis
2015 Jeep Wrangler Sport JK 2017 EZ-Go Golf Cart
miwok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 03:58 AM   #389

Miwok,

I think farming the paint out would be cost prohibitive at this point. I have done a bit of body work and painting years ago... It's not that I can't do those things, it's just that I have a hard time with the layout/design/color scheme end of things.

In reality... it seems to be the prep work that can really make or break a paint job... and it's the prep work that takes most of the time. Perhaps I could convince our local paint guys to come up and shoot the paint for me right in my garage... it would depend on whether or not they feel comfortable with whatever setup I configure for a makeshift paint booth... and of course my air system.

After sleeping on it all night, I've decided that I'm on the right track with the "keep it simple" mantra. I'll match the cream colored paint... and pick up some cream colored vinyl strips and matching caulk. I will paint all the access doors for the appliances cream as well, with no black outlines around anything, except the windows, which already have black frames. And then someday, when the driver's side is finished, I can paint some stripes all the way around.

So... hopefully over the course of the next few weeks, I can start purchasing the materials I'll need to make this happen.

-cheers
Old 12-29-2015, 04:04 AM   #390

Question... for those with paint experience.

Which primer for the aluminum? Epoxy, or etching? It seems like there's always a debate over which one is best... which leads me to believe that either one is a good option...

I panted a test patch of aluminum last fall with Nason's self etching primer from a spray bomb. It's the same stuff you can buy in the bulk cans. Even without proper prep, it seems to have adhered quite well.

-cheers
Old 12-29-2015, 05:10 AM   #391

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Which primer for the aluminum? Epoxy, or etching? It seems like there's always a debate over which one is best... which leads me to believe that either one is a good option...

I panted a test patch of aluminum last fall with Nason's self etching primer from a spray bomb. It's the same stuff you can buy in the bulk cans. Even without proper prep, it seems to have adhered quite well.

-cheers
Epoxy is pretty much bullet proof, if you are talking about 2 part with a catalyst. With epoxy you can prime then let it sit for a considerable amount of time if need be, its tough to sand though, or you can let it flash off then top coat. I'm using Kirker Epoxy primer sealer, it's reasonably priced for a 2 gallon setup.
Old 01-01-2016, 11:33 AM   #392

Vintage Vinyl Strips: Hard to Find...

I never even considered the possibility that the vinyl strips used to trim out the exterior of this RV would be difficult to find... nor did I expect the ones I could find to be $3/foot...

I did find the following 1" wide trims in "Polar White." The first appears to be the one that runs along the seam between the two new panels... the 2nd one wraps around the entire outside perimeter of both panels, where the lip hangs down from the raised edge of either the roof or the fiberglass end caps onto the sidewalls.

Problem is... I don't want polar white, but it seems to be the only color I can find. I found a black one like the first picture on ebay... but nothing in black like the 2nd picture. And no other colors... no grey, no tans... nothing... I can't believe the choices are so limited... unless I'm just not looking in the right place?

Not sure how to make a stark white strip look ok against an off-white paint job... and I really don't want to have to purchase new aluminum tracks. What are my options?

-cheers