Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-02-2016, 07:22 PM   #407

Re: the vinyl moldings, I taped and painted just the vinyl with a rattle can. The moldings, and sealing them, are a different issue.

Regarding those, being old school, I would reinstall those like the factory did originally. Once complete (and painted as required for this project), I would use silicone to seal them - like the factory did.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2016, 01:51 PM   #408

Same transmission computer in mine. What symptoms are you having? Check out the threads about Transmission Instruments here on IRV2. I tried to save $ and have a local do it, big mistake. Ended up using John at Transmission Instruments and am totally happy two years and 24K miles later. Love all the info you are sharing, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 03:07 PM   #409

Harvey,

I posted in the transmission section 2 years ago about our issues. I had actually talked to the guy at Transmission Instruments then, and had planned on sending him our control module... Of course, shortly thereafter we dusted the engine and that was all she wrote.

I won't clutter up this thread with a bunch of tranny talk, but in short, the control module loses all of it's stored memory when you cycle the ignition. So every time you fire up the engine and take off, the computer loads the default shift points... And the shifts are sometimes erratic and harsh. Especially the downshifts. Over the course of 5 or 6 times up and down the gears, it starts to smooth out, but once you shut the engine off, you lose everything again. I actually had the local Cummins/Allison shop look at. They swapped out my control with a test unit a couple times and found that their test unit worked fine, while ours always lost it's memory and threw a 35-00 code.

Transmission instruments says it's a common problem and that they can fix it. I cringe just a bit every time I part with more cash to fix something else on this rv, so I've been trying to find out if the issue with the control module would have any real lasting negative effects on the transmission or drivetrain... Or if perhaps the control module might be on it's way out and could leave us stranded somewhere. I really haven't been able to get a straight answer on the issue, so I guess I'm just gonna send the module to Transmission Instruments and have it fixed... Probably no sense in taking the chance at this point.

At any rate... That's where I'm at now. Probably gonna send the unit out this week if I can...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 06:39 AM   #410

I am not familiar with the module you are talking about and just saw this post in passing while watching your siding post but it sounds to me like you are losing your keep alive memory which is there to keep all of the learned adaptives in memory when you shut off the vehicle. this can be a battery but more likely it is fed from the vehicle. It could also be a bad wire in the harness that serves the keep alive memory in the module or a bad fuse that serves the same thing. Just like the ECM for the engine there is usually a fuse that you pull and leave out or pull the battery cable for a set period to erase the memory. Try to get a wiring diagram and identify the Keep alive memory feed and trace it out.
rickf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 07:00 AM   #411

Thanks for the input rick... the issue, however, is the control module itself. I checked all the wiring and voltages 2 years ago with the Allison diagrams, and it was all good. What was really telling was when the Allison shop swapped in another control module a couple times and the problem immediately went away... and reappeared every time they put the old one back in.

-cheers
Old 01-04-2016, 10:42 AM   #412

Transmission instruments reiterated that it would be no problem to fix the control module for our Allison transmission... so it's in a box and on it's way to Texas now.

-cheers
Old 01-05-2016, 06:01 PM   #413

American Coach Owners Club
TI fixed mine back in 2005 after it took a dump in my driveway - lucky me - it's been working fine ever since !
Looking forward to you finishing your project and having Fun with your Family .

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 06:45 PM   #414

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHRA225 View Post
TI fixed mine back in 2005 after it took a dump in my driveway - lucky me - it's been working fine ever since !
Looking forward to you finishing your project and having Fun with your Family.

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
Always good to hear good things about Transmission Instruments... I'm hoping for a good outcome.

I'm also looking forward to having some fun for a change. I hope it happens!!

The new aluminum is scheduled to arrive tomorrow... I called the folks at Bender's - the people who make the 618 adhesive I used to laminate the panel... it's been a few days since I emailed them with my question about cold weather and freshly sprayed adhesive. When the lady answered the phone, I started mentioning about the project I was undertaking, and she remembered my name from the email and pics that I had sent and said that "Paul" was going to get in touch with me as soon as he could get caught up after being off for the holidays. Pretty cool that they remembered. I'm hoping with their help I'll be able to find a way to laminate this panel and have it hung before spring...

Also... tomorrow or thursday we are putting the insurance and plates back on it. Yippie! If you see a motorhome sneaking around the back roads with no windows or siding on one side... and some goofball with his head out the window listening to how cool his cummins sounds... just look the other way...

-cheers
Old 01-06-2016, 05:45 AM   #415

Gulf Streamers Club
"If you see a motorhome sneaking around the back roads with no windows or siding on one side... and some goofball with his head out the window listening to how cool his cummins sounds... just look the other way... "

Piker, now that is a funny image. You are the only MH driver that I know that might have bugs on his teeth.

Great job on the siding work so far. Question on the aluminum ordered? Is this to finish the passenger side or are you starting on the driver side?

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 02:04 PM   #416

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Question on the aluminum ordered? Is this to finish the passenger side or are you starting on the driver side?

ronspradley
Right now, the goal is just to finish the passenger side and go camping for a summer. It will be 2 years this spring since the engine dusting put the kibosh to our rv-ing... and the kids aren't getting any younger. I don't think I'd be able to get both sides done in time for summer... not to mention that anything extra we spend on the restoration would take away from what we can spend on some camping. We're going so far as to pencil in that big trip all the way to the Pacific coast I've been talking about with my mom and brother. Maybe, just maybe it might all work out... God willing. If not, it will be disappointing for sure, but then life still goes on... and God will still be good. I'm learning that sometimes the things we want sometimes come quickly... other times verrrry slowly... and other times they don't come at all. You just gotta roll with it...

-cheers
Old 01-06-2016, 06:07 PM   #417

Well, the aluminum came today... first pic.

So did the sample of the black vinyl trim (2nd and 3rd pic). Second pic is of the sample stuck to the aluminum. It fits perfectly, and it's relatively inexpensive on ebay. It's kind of beefy to, which I like. Problem is, it will really only work right above the storage bay doors and also the seam in between the two panels. It won't work as good on the outside of the panels cause it doesn't have the longer lip on one side to compensate for the overlap at the end caps and roof line like the original trim (4th pic). I'd end up with a pretty big caulk seam if I used it on the endcaps, and I'm not sure what that would look like, though I think it would seal just fine. I might need to do some testing...

If I could find the stuff in the 4th pic in black, I'd be all set... as it is, I might end up buying all white trim and painting it.

Also, I got a call from Bender's today... They seem super nice/helpful and very knowledgeable. The guy there (Paul) told me that if I wanted to glue the panels during the winter in my non-insulated garage, that I'd have to keep the panel above 70° for probably 48 hours afterward... and that I'd have to be careful of any open flames because the adhesive is extremely flammable. I'd be using a couple big kerosene torpedo heaters for heat...

I suppose I could run the heaters to get the garage up to temp... and just shut them down while spraying... then vent the garage a bit and turn them back on between sheets of plywood. I hope my insurance agent isn't reading. Keeping the garage warm overnight though would use up ridiculous amounts of fuel... I could maybe throw some scaffolding up over the panel with a few canvas tarps so I was just heating a small space above the panel while the solvent continues to flash off of the glue... but I dunno. Burning my garage down doesn't seem like a great idea. We will see... maybe I can come up with something...

all for now.

-cheers

Old 01-06-2016, 06:34 PM   #418

Gulf Streamers Club
Every day I try and make the best decisions I can, given the information I have at the time. Sometimes I get it right. Sometimes I get it wrong. The important thing is that I try. I do not dwell on which way it goes. When I succeed I keep going in that direction. When I fail, I look for the reason why and go on. You may feel like that too. And I certainly agree with you in that you need to focus on getting your rig up and running and go out there and do some road trips and make some memories. The kids are not getting any younger, and that seems to be the case for all of us.

All the best to you and your family in this brand new year.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2016, 07:25 PM   #419

In case anyone missed it last time, the aluminum came from Airparts Inc.

They too have been very helpful and the material has been good quality.

-cheers
Old 01-06-2016, 07:29 PM   #420

Also wanted to thank everyone here on the forum for the encouragement and sentiment we've received along this up and down journey through motorhome mayhem. It's been good to have people cheering us on, especially during the times when it has gotten a little discouraging. I'm hoping that we will get to travel enough someday that maybe we get to run into a few of you out there on the road.

-cheers