Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-06-2016, 07:31 PM   #421

Not in the literal sense, of course...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-08-2016, 08:55 PM   #422

Tomorrow... Round Two... Wish me luck!

-cheers

Old 01-09-2016, 06:06 AM   #423

Monaco Owners Club
Luck!

Jim
Canada, eh?
Papa_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 06:10 AM   #424

After Seeing your mason work on the Total Rebuild site , I have no doubt the results will be anything but nice on the MH, Fabulous Workmanship! Bobby
Old 01-09-2016, 10:17 AM   #425

Was up at 5:00am this morning to get started on the glue... and we finished up by 10:00. Went pretty well. Not perfect, but pretty well... same as last time. I'll keep the heaters on it till monday, and then I'll start getting it cut up to hang on the rv... maybe next weekend.

This one gets ripped lengthwise down to 32"... it will probably be a little more delicate to handle, especially since it doesn't have as many openings to strap to like the lower panel does. I'm pretty excited to get this hung... it's been a long time coming...

Hopefully this process is like childbirth though... cause unless I forget what a pain in the you know what this has been, I don't know how I'll ever be excited to do the other side...

-cheers

Old 01-09-2016, 10:21 AM   #426

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
After Seeing your mason work on the Total Rebuild site , I have no doubt the results will be anything but nice on the MH, Fabulous Workmanship! Bobby
Thanks Fast... only difference is that I had done plenty of stonework before I built our fireplace... and I've only done this once before... . I already know it won't be as perfect as I had envisioned... but I think it will be ok. It's easy to be critical of every little flaw when you're in the middle of a project, but the flaws seem to "shrink" over a period of time.

-cheers
Old 01-11-2016, 06:23 PM   #427

I used to try for perfection on everything I did, and all it did was get me old and grey! Now I strive for Adequate with a A! Want to enjoy whatever time I have left here! And you need to enjoy some time with your family, time flies and then it's gone! It looks like your doing a fine job and you should get many years of service from your MH when you are done! Bobby
Old 01-11-2016, 07:12 PM   #428

Panel Ready to go up

I made a little more progress tonight. The adhesive manufacturer said it was necessary to keep the panel warm for 48 hours after it was glued together, so the panel has been sitting under a "tent" in the garage with a heater on it since Saturday morning (first pic). This was necessary since the temps have been in the low teens as of yesterday afternoon...

Tonight, my oldest daughter and I tore down the tent, laid the old aluminum over the new panel, traced it, and cut it out... (2nd, 3rd, and 4th pic). Like the first panel, the windows will be routered out after it's in place. The panel is now ready to go up on the RV. I'm going to try and get some help lined up for Saturday to hang it...

The last pic is the waste from this panel that I had to cut off... about $200 worth of materials. ...Just the nature of the beast. Hopefully I can find something to use these for someday.

And that yellow demon in the last picture that says "MASTER" on the side is my nemesis. I've sucked more fumes from that thing in the last 3 days than I care to recall. In fact, I can't recall, because so many of my previously working brain cells are now shriveled up because of it. It's not working properly, and needs a few new parts... of course I didn't realize this until it was too late and had dove head first into the project. I borrowed two more of these from my brothers... and those ones didn't work right either. Go figure! I spent more time working on space heaters than I did the RV this weekend. AND I burned about 35 gallons of diesel. It's all good though... I got through, and we're looking forward to hanging the panel months before we had originally hoped we could do it.

-cheers

Old 01-15-2016, 06:21 PM   #429

Upper Panel

The weather was pretty warm today for the middle of January in northwestern PA... so it was a good day to get a few guys together and hang the upper panel on the passenger side. It took 5 of us, along with a few hecklers in the crowd, to put it up. It took less than 10 minutes, and went pretty smoothly.

Next will be to get the roof aluminum folded back down over the side and riveted. I'll probably have to use a series of ratchet straps over the roof and down to the floor to get it to pull down evenly. It looks like there was a thin layer of some type of double faced tape under the roof aluminum from the factory... not sure it's actually doing anything. I'll probably try to run a bead of caulk under it and call it good.

So it looks pretty good i guess... I'm not 100% thrilled with how the aluminum looks over the seams between the plywood sheets... it's humped up a little, but it's not that bad. each seam ended up being offset from an aluminum stud by about 2 or 3". I was thinking maybe I run 3 rows of vertical rivets to kind of pull the plywood down a little tighter and make the seam less noticeable. Not sure if it would help or not though. It might make it worse... not sure. I might just be being too fussy right now too...

All in all... so far so good. Oh, and we also got the control module for the tranny back from Transmission Instruments today. I can't go anywhere to test it out right now, but it seems to work, and the 35-00 code is gone. Good deal...

-cheers

Old 01-15-2016, 08:10 PM   #430

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks great Piker. Almost ready for a road trip with the family.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 09:00 PM   #431

I think you did a fine job and I'm eyeballing those xtra pieces! Would make a fine line down the side of our Winnie after I cut out the delam! LOL! Those bullet heaters are ok if you run them from new on pure kerosene anything else they are a pain! Bought one new for my friend that painted my Dakota (in the GoodMorning section), he listened to someone else and put diesl in it to save $3bucks, well he went back to kero but the damage was done. When he painted my truck , everytime he fired it up it puffed an oil film on the new paint on the right side of the bed and he had to sand it down and repaint it! Lotsa Savings there, NOT! Bobby
Old 01-16-2016, 01:32 AM   #432

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Looks great Piker. Almost ready for a road trip with the family.

ronspradley
Almost!! There's still a lot of work to be done, but getting the old wagon back on the road is starting to seem like a reality now. We're hoping for a good outcome.

Once I get everything riveted down I'll be ready to start prepping for paint... but before I can do that, I have to finish putting my new (to me) air compressor together. The old 3hp craftsman pump I've been using is now 30 years old, and it's getting tired. It didn't really have enough flow to run a DA sander or paint gun when it was in good shape... so it would be pointless to even try it at this point.

We had a vertical 60 gallon 5hp Ingersol Rand compressor at work that blew up last fall. It was used at our molding facility to blow out waterlines in the molds before they were pulled from the press. It was only 2 years old, barely used... and the crankshaft in the pump actually split in two. Of course, it's just a throw-away unit from TSC so you can't get parts for the pump... and a new pump was going to be almost as much as buying a whole new air compressor. The boss decided to upgrade to a much better compressor, and I ended up with the broken down IR. I picked up a new pump from Harbor "Fright" and am working on getting it retrofitted to the tank... getting the right sized pulleys, belts, and feed lines, etc. I know... I know... but I can't really justify spending $1k for a good pump right now... this pump seems to have good reviews and hopefully should work for what I need it to do. At some point, I'll try to remember to post some pics.

All for now. Off to work... I've got to pound out some hours if I'm going to finish this part of the project before summer gets here...

-cheers
Old 01-16-2016, 07:48 AM   #433

airstream don't have nothing on you
Old 01-16-2016, 08:57 AM   #434

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey pike,
I'm really happy with the new pancake compressor I mounted inside the MH. I've used it a lot for airing up the air bags and tires. I just run the hose out the slide in the screen door.

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote