Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-21-2016, 06:29 PM   #449

Just a couple pics of the vertical seam I riveted. The first shot is looking straight on... you can kind of see the distortion in the reflection created by the bulge which is just about 2" left of the vertical line of rivets. The second shot is of course straight down the side of the motorhome... there's almost no visible bulge. I'm good with this...

Yes my garage is a deplorable wreck...

The third shot is just the new air compressor... the new pump is installed on the old tank and piped up... and the unit is bolted to the floor. I still have to make a guard for the pulleys, as the old one is not big enough. After that, I need to get the DIY air dryer piped in, and I'm ready for some painting.

Speaking of painting... The shiny is starting to grow on us... I almost think we could get away with it if we applied some strategically placed stripes. It would certainly be one of a kind. And we could probably sell Tacos or something out of it when we travel...

Still cold here... better get used to it I guess as it IS almost February. Can't wait till spring... All for now.

-cheers

Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2016, 08:05 PM   #450

Shiny is good, but white will mask imperfections better than any other color. Of course flat bobber black would no doubt be interesting as well Might look big and evil.
Old 01-22-2016, 05:36 AM   #451

I think that's true about white paint hiding imperfections. It's actually the easiest to keep looking clean too.

I dunno... I guess I'm not sure what we're going to do yet. Lots to consider... Painting this on my own seems kind of risky, what with being an amateur and all. Leaving it shiny seems like it will be hard to care for, not to mention it will make us stick out like a sore thumb even more than the faded yellow paint and the holes that were corroded through the old panels.

One thing at a time. Oh wait... finishing the panels kind of IS the next thing. I need to get this figured out!

-cheers
Old 01-22-2016, 05:10 PM   #452

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Hearer is a paint idea and no one will notise any small inperfections.

Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2016, 06:09 PM   #453

American Coach Owners Club
Funny !

Sent from my iPhone using iRV2 - RV Forum
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 03:01 PM   #454

Piker, awesome looking job. What will you use for sealant on the vinyl molding in the tracks at midline and bottom. Thanks, I have the rig identical to yours before you began the improvements, HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 05:09 PM   #455

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarveyP View Post
Piker, awesome looking job. What will you use for sealant on the vinyl molding in the tracks at midline and bottom. Thanks, I have the rig identical to yours before you began the improvements, HarveyP
Thanks Harvey...

I plan on using Loctite S-40 Polyurethane caulk pretty much everywhere. I used this on the seam just above the storage bay doors when we first got the motorhome, and it impressed me quite a bit, especially when i went to remove the vinyl to take the old aluminum off. It's extremely tough stuff. Not saying there aren't other good products out there... or even better... but my experience with this stuff has been good so far.

I still haven't decided on which vinyl trim to use. I really like the thick black stuff... only drawback is that it doesn't have a long leg on the one side for the areas around the end caps and roof, so it would require a very large bead of caulk... not sure how to make a big bead of caulk look good unless you mask it off maybe?

Also, still not sure about color of paint... etc... and it's just so cold I can't hardly stand being in the garage...

I need to move south.

-cheers
Old 01-23-2016, 05:43 PM   #456

Thanks Piker, it will warm up again sometime! HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2016, 08:08 PM   #457

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Thanks Harvey...

I plan on using Loctite S-40 Polyurethane caulk pretty much everywhere. I used this on the seam just above the storage bay doors when we first got the motorhome, and it impressed me quite a bit, especially when i went to remove the vinyl to take the old aluminum off. It's extremely tough stuff. Not saying there aren't other good products out there... or even better... but my experience with this stuff has been good so far.

I still haven't decided on which vinyl trim to use. I really like the thick black stuff... only drawback is that it doesn't have a long leg on the one side for the areas around the end caps and roof, so it would require a very large bead of caulk... not sure how to make a big bead of caulk look good unless you mask it off maybe?

Also, still not sure about color of paint... etc... and it's just so cold I can't hardly stand being in the garage...

I need to move south.

-cheers

Its cold down here too!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 12:48 PM   #458

The Airstream guys have always said it is way too difficult to maintain the shiny. You would still need to clear coat it, otherwise you would be polishing it yearly. The OEM Airstreams are anodized.

As far as painting it, if you are just putting on color, it is not that difficult. By the time you shoot two coats of primer, you will be an expert with the gun. The place where you run into a problem is if you choose a paint that has metallic in it. The difficulty shooting metallic is that you need to put it on wet, so you have a good coat without overspray, but the when you get it wet, the metallic sags or runs, because it is heavier than the paint. The only other thing I know about painting is you work from top to bottom. That way, as the overspray falls, you are painting over it. I'm sure there are true experts here who can give much you much better advice than I.
Old 01-24-2016, 04:28 PM   #459

I've read that too... about caring for the shiny aluminum. At this point, I'm pretty certain I'll top coat it with an automotive grade 2k single stage acrylic enamel. I'll match the existing off-white color so that in between now and someday when I can hopefully finish the other side of the RV, it won't look too awkward.

Maybe... still not 100% certain. Pretty sure shiny aluminum is out though.

-cheers
Old 01-24-2016, 06:37 PM   #460

You can only see one side at a time so pick a color that you like and that will hold well.

Be sure you can get it down the road or save last coat for when all done.
Old 01-24-2016, 07:01 PM   #461

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I've read that too... about caring for the shiny aluminum. At this point, I'm pretty certain I'll top coat it with an automotive grade 2k single stage acrylic enamel. I'll match the existing off-white color so that in between now and someday when I can hopefully finish the other side of the RV, it won't look too awkward.

Maybe... still not 100% certain. Pretty sure shiny aluminum is out though.

-cheers
Don't worry about what others mite think. Most will be jealous because you are going down the road in an RV and they aren't.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 04:20 AM   #462

It's true... I have spent far too much time worrying about what people think when it comes to the shape our RV is in, instead of being grateful to even have an RV. It's almost laughable, except that there is nothing even slightly humorous about living in a state of ungratefulness. It's all good though... Better to have learned the lesson late than never to have learned it at all.

I think I'm going to take another break from the RV for a while... maybe till the weather breaks in the spring. I find that it's so easy for me to develop tunnel vision and to ignore the rest of what's going on in life... I really have to be intentional about keeping my priorities straight.

All for now.

-cheers