Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-25-2016, 06:13 AM   #463

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
How about White Diamond?
We have it on the caddie. I don't think I've seen it on anything that it didn't look good on?
Great work, can't wait too see it finished,
Tim

spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-25-2016, 06:23 AM   #464

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
How about White Diamond?
We have it on the caddie. I don't think I've seen it on anything that it didn't look good on?
Great work, can't wait too see it finished,
Tim
Not sure what White Diamond is?

I'm thinking it might be best to put some sort of satin paint on the rv? I tried some satin white with some rustoleum two summers ago when I was experimenting, and it seemed to look the best compared to a high gloss. Gloss really makes every imperfection stand out. I don't think I want to use rustoleum though... it shoots pretty nice when you thin it with mineral spirits and acetone, but i just don't trust it. The test panels I shot never really got hard, and adhesion wasn't very good either. I've also heard it is not as resistant to UV as regular automotive paint.

Still thinking...

-cheers

Old 01-25-2016, 07:51 PM   #465

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Not sure what White Diamond is?

I'm thinking it might be best to put some sort of satin paint on the rv? I tried some satin white with some rustoleum two summers ago when I was experimenting, and it seemed to look the best compared to a high gloss. Gloss really makes every imperfection stand out. I don't think I want to use rustoleum though... it shoots pretty nice when you thin it with mineral spirits and acetone, but i just don't trust it. The test panels I shot never really got hard, and adhesion wasn't very good either. I've also heard it is not as resistant to UV as regular automotive paint.

Still thinking...

-cheers
Rustoleum fades out quickly in the sun
Old 01-25-2016, 08:06 PM   #466
cwk

Quote:
...The test panels I shot never really got hard, and adhesion wasn't very good either. I've also heard it is not as resistant to UV as regular automotive paint.

Still thinking...
All the hard work that you have done, and you are thinking of not using the best paint?
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 01:16 AM   #467

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
All the hard work that you have done, and you are thinking of not using the best paint?
No, that's not it cwk... I was pointing out the reasons why I would not use what might be the worst paint... even though it's cheap.

The single stage acrylic enamel that I will likely use is actually pretty good stuff... nason ful-cryl by DuPont... it's just not a base/clear type application. I used this on my jeep doors and it was $70/quart... I'll give you a dollar if you can tell the difference between it and the rest of the paint on the vehicle, which is all base/clear. Maybe it's not the "best" but then again for this application it just might be.

That said... I'm starting to consider that a base/clear might be necessary to get a good consistent semi gloss finish. They make a flattening agent for single stage paint, but from what I've heard from the local guys it doesn't always give you the desired results. I was instructed that the semi gloss clears are a better bet.

I dunno.... if you were painting a car, getting a high gloss finish is normally desirable unless your building a rat rod or something. On something like this, where you will never have a perfectly smooth and flat panel, I think a high gloss paint could be a detriment because it would show every little curve in the panel. Flat paint is no good either because it's difficult to clean and you'll never be able to buff out a scratch. Actually, I don't think you can buff out scratches from semi gloss either... so I guess I still have some thinking to do.

There is a place about 10 miles from here that has a paint booth for busses. I'm going to at least give them a call and get some professional coaching on this matter. I might even see what they would charge to shoot it...

Cheers
Old 01-26-2016, 07:58 AM   #468
cwk

Quote:
No, that's not it cwk... I was pointing out the reasons why I would not use what might be the worst paint... even though it's cheap.
Ok, good. I was a bit worried. I have been following some of your project and was concerned.

Now, as far as the "best"...

Disclaimer: I do not paint vehicles. My experiences are mostly with wood.

I will agree that gloss will show all of the imperfections. I avoid it and simply will not do it. Flat, for what I do, looks bad. I usually use satin. But, this is for cabinetry and furniture, not vehicles. So, I cannot make a meaningful suggestion other than what I just mentioned about gloss and flat. But, you already know this.

Regarding the "best" finish, everyone will have their own opinion of what is the best. Your visit to the bus painters should be very helpful. They may or may not want to give up all of their secrets, particularly if they know they will probably not get the work. Also, you might try searching for an "auto paint supplier" in your city. This is usually where the professional body shops buy their materials, so the supplier will be much more knowledgeable than the folks at the big box hardware stores. I would also avoid retail paint stores, as they are geared toward home and building construction, not vehicles.

You will have a number of choices, but I was worried, at first, that you might try to skimp on the paint materials because of cost. Yes, cost is always a factor, but good materials should look great and last you a long time. Cheap materials usually cost you more in the long run when you have to redo a project because it did not last. You don't want to have to strip and repaint this ever.

Best of luck!
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 08:02 AM   #469

Gulf Streamers Club
I shot mine with single stage Nason/Dupont and even though the body (fiberglass) is rough with age and delam it still looks so much better than before. I bought a new Eastwood HVLP gun to replace my 30 year old Craftsman, paid somewhere in the $250 range. It only uses 10 psi at the gun. Whether you go with gloss or semi-gloss I think you will like it. And you might get a good price on shooting your bus at the paint booth for busses. Almost all of the work in painting is in the prep. You could paint the primer in your prep also. So just shooting might be reasonable.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2016, 05:00 PM   #470

After doing some more reading, it looks like I'll probably just go with a regular glossy finish. The matte/flat/satin/semi-gloss paints require specific cleaners and protectants... and I'm just not into that. I want to be able to grab the dish soap and a bottle of wax and be done with it. Yeah... the inconsistencies in the panel will be more visible... oh well... it could be worse... I could have scrapped the whole rv when the engine got dusted and be totally out of the game. At this point, I'm glad I didn't. Hopefully, we're getting close to being able to log some more miles.

So I think the only thing i have to settle on now is the color... and which vinyl to use. The existing off-white generally makes our rv look very old when parked next to other rv's... then again, maybe it's the faded vinyl... or the pink and blue stripes. I'm guessing we'll just go with off-white... and some cool stripes or something. We'll see.

cheers
Old 01-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #471

American Coach Owners Club
Piker,
That's a lot of surface to paint and all in a day. Base Coat/Clear will be an enormous amount of work unless you have a few Buddy's all helping.
2 Coats of Color- 3 Coats of clear and then Wet sanding- Then all that Buffing.
I might look at the Single stage and be done. I also use Nason Products. Just Painted my Golf Car and my Pit Scooter. and have repainted sections on my Old Eagle over the years.
NHRA225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 10:19 AM   #472

I totally feel a bit in over my head with the painting portion of this project...

-cheers
Old 01-28-2016, 04:29 PM   #473

Piker, you have done a fabulous job of rescuing your MH! If I had done all that work and been left with the painting to finish, with a buss booth that close go for the base/clear you will be much happier in the long run. My dakota pickup in the Good Morning Forum was painted without the benefit of a spray booth and came out quite nice, even with the dust and whatever it polished out in just under 2 hours! I bought the paint on ebay, bought one gallon of black and another gallon of metallic silver both PPG DBU. If I bought that from the autobody supplier here it would have cost me $500, I got them for like $250 with shipping. The clear that was put on my truck was not a super high end clear, probably cost about $80-90 a gallon with the hardener, but it looks great! It also sands easy with 1500 grit paper lightly and polishes out quick! Please don't do a quicky job and save $3-400 bucks as it will bite you later! I have painted cars with single stage and you cannot polish them out, they will look good for a few weeks then dull out! Bite the bullet after all that work, and buy decent paint and get them to spray it in a booth and the sanding polishing will be minimal! Love your work, Bobby
Old 01-28-2016, 04:31 PM   #474

Oh and by the way I decided not to use the Metallic silver on the Dakota so it is available! Bobby
Old 01-28-2016, 11:40 PM   #475

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Piker, you have done a fabulous job of rescuing your MH! If I had done all that work and been left with the painting to finish, with a buss booth that close go for the base/clear you will be much happier in the long run. My dakota pickup in the Good Morning Forum was painted without the benefit of a spray booth and came out quite nice, even with the dust and whatever it polished out in just under 2 hours! I bought the paint on ebay, bought one gallon of black and another gallon of metallic silver both PPG DBU. If I bought that from the autobody supplier here it would have cost me $500, I got them for like $250 with shipping. The clear that was put on my truck was not a super high end clear, probably cost about $80-90 a gallon with the hardener, but it looks great! It also sands easy with 1500 grit paper lightly and polishes out quick! Please don't do a quicky job and save $3-400 bucks as it will bite you later! I have painted cars with single stage and you cannot polish them out, they will look good for a few weeks then dull out! Bite the bullet after all that work, and buy decent paint and get them to spray it in a booth and the sanding polishing will be minimal! Love your work, Bobby
Piker,

This has been an adventure for all of us following this project. You've made us all feel like we've been a part of it from the beginning.

As I see the light at the end of the tunnel, as do you, I hope you would consider producing a book on your project, including all the little pitfalls you've experienced along the way. I'm sure each and everyone of us following you on this forum would buy a copy, and possibly this would in the long term help with the financing we all wish we could have helped with in the beginning. Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration to us all.

DTW
Dtwallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 02:40 AM   #476

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dtwallace View Post
Piker,

This has been an adventure for all of us following this project. You've made us all feel like we've been a part of it from the beginning.

As I see the light at the end of the tunnel, as do you, I hope you would consider producing a book on your project, including all the little pitfalls you've experienced along the way. I'm sure each and everyone of us following you on this forum would buy a copy, and possibly this would in the long term help with the financing we all wish we could have helped with in the beginning. Keep up the great work, you're an inspiration to us all.

DTW

I am so grateful for the kind words and encouragement I have received from the members of the RV community here on the forums. I know that all of you have been a gift.

You know DT, if I had the time and know-how, I could probably write two books. The first book would be the shorter one. It would be about the work I've done to the motorhome. The second book, I don't know if I could ever finish... it would be about the work that's been done to me and for me by a God who knows exactly what you need and when you need it, and how he uses both our shattered dreams and dreams-come-true to draw us to Him.

Actually, I think there's already a book something like that...

-cheers