Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 01-31-2016, 04:49 PM   #477

The weather has been ridiculously nice for this time of year... and today I did manage to take care of the wire I drilled into when I was hanging the new panels. Turned out to be no big deal. I also got the rest of the rivets put in around the windows.

On a possible down side... the tranny computer that I had fixed is still throwing the 35-00 code. "Power interruption." I had a chance to start the engine up today and move the rv forward a little bit, and when I turned the engine off, and then turned the key back on the code appeared. Now, I had thought that it might be possible that since I didn't actually go anywhere, there is still no data in the shift point memory banks, and so the computer still "thinks" there was a power failure. I dunno... I emailed Transmission Instruments to see what they say. I do know that the Allison dealer I took it to said the wiring was fine, and that their spare test unit controller worked fine in our rig. I guess we will see. I haven't heard of anyone having any trouble with Transmission Instruments, so hopefully they'll help me out here.

I've also been spending some time trying to settle on paint... so far... nothing settled... Still thinking.

all for now.

-cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-31-2016, 06:20 PM   #478

Well, Bummer... it was wishful thinking on the 35-00 code setting cause I didn't drive anywhere. I broke down and rolled it out of the garage and went and fueled it up about 10 miles away. Shut it down, and still throwing the 35-00 code.

On a good note... the ride was a blast. I don't think anyone even noticed there were no doors or windows on the passenger side. It's good to have a full tank of fuel, since we use the generator in the RV as a standby generator for power outages.

I guess I'll just wait to see what Transmission Instruments say.

-cheers

Old 01-31-2016, 07:22 PM   #479

Piker, sounds like me a few weeks ago when I drove the pickup home with no plates, top , lights or anything the few blocks home from the bodyshop, felt good till I realized they would have crucified me if a cop stopped me! Bobby
Old 01-31-2016, 07:52 PM   #480

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastGlassMan View Post
Piker, sounds like me a few weeks ago when I drove the pickup home with no plates, top , lights or anything the few blocks home from the bodyshop, felt good till I realized they would have crucified me if a cop stopped me! Bobby
Hah... that's too funny.

I'm actually legal though... I've got plates and insurance. The only thing I don't have is a state inspection, but technically I think I'm good there too cause they give you a couple weeks after you get new plates before they require an inspection.

man, I can't wait to get this thing finished. That drive tonight really got me stirred up. It's almost silly how much I enjoy rolling around in this thing. And after tonight, I'm really feeling hopeful that our rv future might be bright.

Cheers
Old 01-31-2016, 08:00 PM   #481

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Remember make it severable not like new. I know it will be better than new when you are done but you want to get things wrapped up so you can go on trips this summer.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 09:27 PM   #482

> 35-00 code

Ignition switch? Maybe just enough bobble to set the code but not sound an alarm or affect the operation? Did it blink at you?
Old 02-01-2016, 02:42 AM   #483

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
> 35-00 code

Ignition switch? Maybe just enough bobble to set the code but not sound an alarm or affect the operation? Did it blink at you?
Not sure, but I don't think so. I do know the 35-00 code is hard to catch though because of the way the ignition cycles power. It does "blink" but as far as I can tell, this is normal?

The 35-00 code is not a "hard code" meaning once the code is set, it doesn't shut the tranny down, and it will actually reset itself once the power to the TCM is cycled. Here's how it goes: Lets say you have the engine running and you don't have any codes. The 35-00 code is set only after the engine has been running and you turn of the ignition and power down the tranny ECU. If you then turn the key to the "on" position (not starting the engine) you will see the 35-00 code. If the ECU is powered down again by turning the key off, and then back to the on position again without starting the engine, the code will reset itself and disappear from the display.

The reason it's hard to catch, is because of how the ignition cycles power. When the key is in the "on" position, the TCM also gets power... but then when the ignition is turned to the "start" position where the engine cranks, power is cut from the TCM momentarily while the engine begins cranking, thus clearing the code. If you just shut the engine off, and then start it back up again to check for codes, the 35-00 will always be cleared and you'll never see it.

The tech at the Allison dealer said everything worked fine when they put in their spare test unit. But I'm pretty sure Transmission Instruments would have tested the unit before fixing it. It might actually be operating just fine... and I'm not actually losing the stored memory like I was before. I will just have to wait and see what they say.

-cheers
Old 02-01-2016, 08:46 AM   #484

This just in:

Proof that there is a crazy person driving around in an unfinished RV, reportedly buying diesel and a gallon of milk at the local quickie mart. Witnesses report that the suspect was seen smiling ear to ear with his head out the window jamming to the sound of his 6 cylinder Cummins and thinking that he is way cooler than he actually is. If you see the vehicle below, you are requested to return the smile, along with the universally known "thumbs up" gesture.

Yes, I have too much time on my hands today...

-cheers

Old 02-01-2016, 09:19 AM   #485
cwk

cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 09:23 AM   #486

Gulf Streamers Club
That description of head out the window and ear to ear smile resonates with all of your "followers" here on your thread. Life is indeed good.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 05:17 PM   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnhicks View Post
> 35-00 code

John, I now think you might be on to something here...

I talked with Transmission Instruments today. Very helpful. He said that a 35-00 code does not necessarily mean that the stored shift points are lost. It simply means "power inturruption." I took the RV for another test drive tonight, and it definitely remembered the shift points from the last ride. Normally, I have to squint and pucker up before the first downshift into 4th gear... but it was smooth right out of the gate tonight.

I wonder if maybe I had two separate problems. John at TI indicated that the components that would cause a loss of stored shift point memory were indeed in need of replacement, so we definitely had that problem. The 35-00 code being reset after every cycle of the ignition might actually be the ignition switch in the steering column itself?

Here's what happens... maybe you guys can tell me if this is abnormal... here is a step by step:

1) Engine is off.
2) I turn the ignition to "on" - the tcm lights up... the dash lights come on, and everything seems normal.
3) Then I very slowly keep turning the ignition to the "start" position.
4) Somewhere between "on" and "start" everything goes dead... the TCM goes blank, and so do the dash lights.
5) As I keep turning the key, the tcm comes back on, so do the dash lights, and then the engine starts to crank.

What do you think? Bad ignition switch in the column?

-cheers
Old 02-01-2016, 06:22 PM   #488

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, It may not be as simple as that, I can't say for sure if your switch is acting "normal", but there should be a separate wiring for "keep alive memory" for your computer that will always be powered up, it could have voltage as low as 5 volts to keep the memory from losing. Just think of the computer in most vehicles since 1996 when there is monitors that have to run and keep their memory, here in NY the inspection process relies on the computer to keep that memory. When changing batteries in a car we used a 9 volt battery in a special holder plugged into the cigar lighter to keep the memory when the battery was disconnected
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2016, 06:38 PM   #489

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Piker, It may not be as simple as that, I can't say for sure if your switch is acting "normal", but there should be a separate wiring for "keep alive memory" for your computer that will always be powered up, it could have voltage as low as 5 volts to keep the memory from losing. Just think of the computer in most vehicles since 1996 when there is monitors that have to run and keep their memory, here in NY the inspection process relies on the computer to keep that memory. When changing batteries in a car we used a 9 volt battery in a special holder plugged into the cigar lighter to keep the memory when the battery was disconnected
Harley,

I did check the wire that feeds voltage to the tcm regardless of the ignition position, and its hot... so I think I'm good there.

John from TI said that sometimes what causes the code to set is a low voltage condition when the starter kicks over. If the voltage drops below the threshold while cranking, the tcm goes night night. It seems to make sense that if the ignition switch just drops the circuit altogether when it shouldn't, that this might be our issue.

Then again... I've been known to be incorrect from time to time.

We will see... I emailed them again tonight and suspect they will get back to me tomorrow.

-Cheers
Old 02-01-2016, 06:44 PM   #490

Come to think of it... on more than one occasion, when starting the engine, I've noticed a hiccup in the cranking... as if you bumped the starter for a split second before you started cranking the engine. I never gave it much thought, but I'm guessing it has something o do with this.

This rv thing can be kind of like a mystery novel sometimes.

Cheers