Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2016, 05:29 AM   #533

I've also started stripping the access panel covers. The stripes come right off with one of these rubber eraser wheels in a drill. $12 at the local autoparts and saves hours of messing around with heat guns and chemicals.

I still have to get the entry door pulled apart. I'd like to disassemble it completely for repainting, but I'm not sure exactly how to do it yet. I'll take a look at it some night this week.

-cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #534

Gulf Streamers Club
Still looking great Piker. I need to re-seal all of my windows and was intending on using putty tape. See you are using polyurethane caulk. Is this stuff better than the old stand-by putty tape?

ronspradley

Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 09:55 AM   #535

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Still looking great Piker. I need to re-seal all of my windows and was intending on using putty tape. See you are using polyurethane caulk. Is this stuff better than the old stand-by putty tape?

ronspradley
Ask me when I need to pull my windows out again. I don't think the polyurethane caulk is very forgiving at disassembly. It's almost like an adhesive.

I do think that the polyurethane caulk will outlast the putty, but I don't have any real proof of that, just what my gut tells me after seeing how strong the poly is, and how dried out and brittle the putty is that I have seen on this RV. Granted... the putty was dry, but it was 20 years old.

My windows have a foam-rubber seal underneath the flange... the foam was actually still in pretty decent shape, so I just reused it, but I don't necessarily trust it to stay tight against the panels, thus I added some caulk. Had the foam not been in good shape, I would have probably used putty tape... and I still probably would have caulked it.

-cheers
Old 03-08-2016, 05:20 PM   #536

Decided to skip work today and enjoy the weather... It was warm enough to get all the access panels primed and painted. I used a good 2 part epoxy primer (picture), and then painted the outside trim pieces black and the panels cream to match the new panels using a single stage urethane.

Next up... I need to get the entry door disassembled and refinished to match.

-cheers

Old 03-08-2016, 07:31 PM   #537

Gulf Streamers Club
Looks good Piker. Did the paint shop that painted your MH use single stage Urethane? That is what I used when I painted mine and I thought it went pretty well.

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:08 PM   #538

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That sealant job looks good Piker. If you have a problem taking out the windows you can cut the sealant with a sharp putty knife or a box cutter. Those rubber wheels work great you can take old sealant off with them too.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 03:54 AM   #539

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronspradley View Post
Looks good Piker. Did the paint shop that painted your MH use single stage Urethane? That is what I used when I painted mine and I thought it went pretty well.

ronspradley
Yes, that's what they used on the panels. The more I look at it, the more I notice the orange peel though... there's quite a bit of it. It's ok though... it really does help hide some of the inconsistencies in the aluminum. Plus, some graphics might help pull your eye away from it as well.

I got a price on getting some graphics applied just to this side of the RV. It would cost $1000 to do what we want to do... and right now that's more than I want to spend. I think what I might do is remove the stripes on the other side of the RV and try my hand at painting the graphics. If I screw them up, there's no harm since I'll probably be replacing the siding anyways. If it works out, I'll go ahead and paint the graphics on this new side. Just a thought anyways... I won't be doing any of that right away though... right now the goal is still just to get her on the road. Getting close...

-cheers
Old 03-09-2016, 04:18 AM   #540

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I can hardly wait to see the final product. Great work.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:29 AM   #541

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, looking good, I use epoxy primer on anything that needs sealing good choice . Graphics will pull your eyes away from all the same color and people won't notice. Nice job.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 04:44 AM   #542
cwk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
The more I look at it, the more I notice the orange peel though... there's quite a bit of it.
Piker,

My wife and I visited an RV show last month. The salesman was telling us how great the paint job was on a brand new 2016 Class A. Being that I spray paint (wood furniture), I took a closer look. Actually from several feet away I could see the orange peel. $150K rig with orange peel.

Quit staring at the paint job; get her ready to camp!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 05:35 AM   #543

Thanks guys... it sure does help to have people cheering you on!

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
I can hardly wait to see the final product. Great work.
Tim
You and me BOTH!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harley1994 View Post
Piker, looking good, I use epoxy primer on anything that needs sealing good choice . Graphics will pull your eyes away from all the same color and people won't notice. Nice job.
Thanks Terry... I know that a lot of painters just go to the epoxy primer for pretty much everything anymore. The guys that painted this side of the RV used it right over the bare aluminum per the tech rep at Dupont. I do think that it tends to orange peel more than other primers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwk View Post
Piker,
Quit staring at the paint job; get her ready to camp!
Amen!

I wasn't going to share this until we had it finished, but it looks like the graphics might be a while before they come to fruition, so I thought I'd go ahead and reveal our plans. Seems like all the RV paint schemes have gone to big swooshes all over, and we just want something different... so this is as different as we could imagine, and still not be too weird. It might not end up the nicest looking rv in the world, but you probably won't find another one like it...

-cheers

Old 03-09-2016, 07:40 AM   #544

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, Epoxy Primer does orange peel more than others because its thicker and doesn't flow like most paints, to combat this I use a urethane thinner at no more than 10% mixture and it slows down the drying process to let it flow out, the paint shop should have known this as its a procedure that has been used for years, BUT only on complete paint jobs not spot priming.
97 International 4700 Tot'r
Harley1994 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2016, 07:10 PM   #545

Hard to make progress when you take a day off and then have to work ridiculous hours to catch up the rest of the week... c'est la vie I guess...

Despite the work schedule, I did make a little progress tonight... two access panels installed, one for the fridge and one for the furnace. I still have to caulk them both. I also managed to replace the plug on the end of the shore power cord. The original one was toast...

-cheers

Old 03-09-2016, 10:48 PM   #546

Like the design and everything looks awesome. It will be amazing when you are finished.