Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:09 PM   #547

More baby steps... I got the cover for the hot water tank put on, and also the first piece of new vinyl. Small victories, but kind of exciting. Of course, I still have to caulk ALL of this.

Oh, and I forgot to cut the hole out for the hood range vent...

-cheers

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-11-2016, 06:08 PM   #548

looks like new, great work

Old 03-16-2016, 06:59 PM   #549

I finally got around to pulling the door apart tonight so I can start prepping it for paint. Not good. The wooden frame around the bottom of the door was completely rotted, and basically just fell out and crumbled. The only thing that was holding the door together was a little caulk and a tiny piece of aluminum angle that looks like someone added once the door started falling apart years ago.

Not sure what to do here. I can probably rebuild the core of the door if I can find the right thickness of materials, but I'm not sure I can salvage the Filon that's laminated to the outside without destroying it... nor the cheesy textured steel on the inside. I really don't want to spend the $$ for a new door right now...

Still questioning my sanity on this project...

-cheers

Old 03-16-2016, 07:24 PM   #550
cwk

Any chance of finding one in a RV junkyard? Or, maybe even a regular junkyard that might have an RV or two there?

Crazy thought (because I don't know any better): Would a door from a mobile home work? Or, maybe you could cannibalize parts (metal sheets) from a used door?

Here is a source that "may" be helpful:

6663 - Fiberglass Siding Cut To Length - Price: $25.00 - Factory RV Surplus - 1611 W Bristol St, Elkhart, IN 46514 (800) 325-1461 (574) 262-3327

I'm sure you will figure it out.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:42 PM   #551

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
"Still questioning my sanity on this project..." Well so are we. Just kidding.
I don't think making a new door should be all that hard. You could loose the cheesy textured steel on the inside and start with some nice marine grade ply wood about 1/4-3/8. Or cover some cheap plywood with cloth.
After you do the frame fill it with closed cell Styrofoam. Glue everything together with some of that foam insulation in a can that stuff will stick to everything. You could vacuum bag it to make shure it is all clamped together.
You could just re make the frame on the bottom and glue it all back together using some of the non expanding foam.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 07:56 PM   #552

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Piker, I vote for finding a used door at a RV salvage yard! I think you could take it to the paint shop and have them shoot it, or do it your self! The access doors all look very nice that you did! Don't get discouraged with this last piece! You have come too far for that! Rail!
Old 03-16-2016, 08:40 PM   #553

Ford Super Duty Owner
i say rebuild it you could weld up a new inner frame as for the filon
wet it and it will come loose or pull on it using a putty knive i have done both. the junk yard door is not easy i did this in dec. they all look the same
but not so. checked about 20- 25 doors none were the right size found
one that was 1/2 smaller and 1/4 taller made it work
hope all works out your doing great
Old 03-16-2016, 09:06 PM   #554

My door is near to falling apart also, I'm going to use the fiberglass panels that HD or Menards has, I think i make the door for 100 with a new window if I decide to put it back in, kind of thinking leaving it out
Old 03-17-2016, 01:02 PM   #555

Welp... I guess I'm gonna do what I always do... turn junk into something I can use. I'll start lining up materials to rebuild the core of the door. I was hoping that I wouldn't find this problem, but I'm not surprised at all. Just keep moving forward...

-cheers
Old 03-17-2016, 08:35 PM   #556

Really...???;-)

With what you have done so far having a large unmatched door would stand out a bit and this is an excuse to make it right.

You did fantastic more on the rest or the unit so the door should be simple.

Too bad it had to be done but the doors are junk.

Our cc was missing the bottom rail and a trip to a self serve wrecking yard that had some what was left of rv had a door like yours that still had the rail and it was right size...50 cents later we are good.

You could locate a sheet metal shop or someone with a brake that could make some door edging then use same material as siding for outside and get some nice wood or other material for the inside.

You may be able to reuse most of the old and just make some new.

It sucks that the door is damaged but you would be wanting to upgrade it to match the rest of your great work;-)
Old 03-17-2016, 10:21 PM   #557

Gulf Streamers Club
Piker, I have no doubt you will figure a way to make a new door. If the Filon material for the outside of the door is not salvageable do you have a piece of aluminum left over that is large enough?

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 04:50 AM   #558

I was able to remove the filon without destroying it, and the cheesy piece of steel on the inside of the door is actually still in good shape. The door really isn't made of much, that's for sure... but I have to remember that keeping the weight down is important on an rv, so what might look cheap is actually more for the purposes of GVW than anything else.

I think the easiest thing to do is just rebuild the core the way it was and call it good. The wood they used is some weird dimensions though, so I'll have to probably track someone down with a planer so I can get regular framing lumber down to the right thickness. I don't think the glue I used to laminate the exterior panels will work here... it will most likely melt the foam.

It probably is silly to feel discouraged over this little setback, considering the scope of the project so far. Still... sometimes... I just think to myself "what is wrong with you?" I almost can't believe how much time and effort I've put into this old wagon... and good heavens, I still have the other side to take care of.

I think it will be good to take a break from this and go camping this summer. Hopefully it rejuvenates me to keep looking forward...

-cheers

Old 03-18-2016, 09:44 AM   #559

Monaco Owners Club
I went through the same thing with mine I put long countersunk screws in the corners and tightened up the wood frame and also cut out a new piece of the pink hard foam that I got from Lowe's it's much sturdier and it takes the glue a lot better than that kind of foam. I used a hot knife to cut it.
Old 03-18-2016, 10:31 AM   #560

Can you use some of the extra aluminum to skin it? That is what I would attempt.
I gotta say, I have restored a few cars to a high detail, but your patience and willingness to learn is really an inspiration.