Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-21-2016, 02:55 AM   #575

Thanks guys. Now if the weather would just warm up!

I did also manage to get some mechanical things taken care of over the past week too. I replaced the bad hydraulic line on the leveling jacks, as well as a couple heater hoses that feed the rear heater box. That didn't go so well though... I had left the valves closed to the heater hoses after I had rebuilt the engine for two reasons. I had a short hose that leaked, and also because the hot water tank was disconnected. Well, I remembered the leaky heater hose, but I forgot that the heat exchanger in the hot water tank wasn't hooked up, so when I started to engine to look for leaks... I found one. A big one. Really made a mess under the sink, but luckily there was a hole in the floor for a propane line to leave the engine coolant run out. Always an adventure.

IN addition, I was able to get the boost fooler dialed in too. Since the rebuild, the boost level was ridiculous... upwards of 38 lbs. Turns out I had the darn thing hooked up backwards! Turned it around and voila... 32lbs boost max. Also, turns out the squeak I was hearing up front might be the wheel cover.

So, I'm getting there... slowly but surely...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2016, 06:49 PM   #576

It warmed up today...

Underneath this pile of cement blocks... the glue is drying between the fiberglass and the door frame. I think the gorilla glue is going to end up being the right decision. It's a polyurethane glue, and you can see in the 2nd picture how it foams up and fills all the voids when it hits the water you sprayed on one side of the laminate. I'll have to flip it over and reglue the steel on the other side on the next warm day.

I also took the bus out for a drive tonight. I might have 175 miles on the rebuild now... and so far, so good. It sounds good and runs great... and no chunks in the oil. I'd like to put 1000 miles on it before we take it anywhere too far from home... just to have a tiny piece of mind...

Once the glue is all dried, I'll go ahead and prep the core for paint... then put the aluminum frame over it... and put some color down. Hopefully soon the door will be back on and I can start running the rest of the vinyl and getting everything sealed up. There's still a lot to do... that's for sure. One step at a time...

-cheers

Old 03-22-2016, 06:56 PM   #577

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Looking good, I bet it was a brisk ride with all that ventalation.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 07:06 PM   #578

So far the Gorilla Glue has been a success. After removing the blocks, I set the door up on saw horses and took the DA sander to it... so now it's ready for primer and paint. Well, sort of... I still need to put the outer aluminum trim on the door. I'd love to be able to paint everything and then assemble, but I'm pretty sure it won't go together very easy...

Went for another drive tonight... I took the wheel cover off of the wheel that was squeaking, and voila... the squeak went away. Good news.

-cheers

Old 03-31-2016, 10:03 AM   #579

Still plugging away... The door is ready to be reassembled and put back in. I also took care of a little trim piece that goes adjacent to the rear storage bay door... it got crunched in a reverse maneuver at some point, so I went to town with some fiberglass and bondo. Turned out ok.

Now I just need to source some weather stripping and new screws and I can put the door back in...

Slow... but steady...

-cheers

Old 03-31-2016, 01:43 PM   #580

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sam-3 View Post
I'm not a body repair expert. Seems like a good idea to take your coach to a shop that does this kind of work. Pick up ideas as to how they would repair and get a price. Putting all the layers together requires a vacuum/laminate machine. My 1990 HiLo Classic could use a body shop makeover. Would hate to see the cost. I truly believe the older rigs are better built. Keep in mind all the newer rig owners probably have hefty monthly payments. Keep improving the interior and you will be enjoying camping. It is good to live within your budget and not have debt.
Admire your nerves of steel on this project. Really wondering if aluminum corroding on back side is problem or has over the years moisture from roof seeped down to luan under-layment and caused it to swell much like OSB sub-floor when you are building a house and it rains a lot. Thinking I will try to take off my back cap and gently roll siding forward, after removing rain gutter, to sand down swollen under-layment and then use adhesive to real siding. Do not know answer. Just some wild thoughts. Hoping it might be worth considering before spending the farm on new siding. Best wishes and wil keep following you on this and best wishes on your progress.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2016, 02:50 PM   #581

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker looking good! should be set for the season.
Old 03-31-2016, 07:35 PM   #582

Thanks Terry... ya, we're getting close. I still have quite a bit of work to do though... just caulking all the vinyl is going to be a big job all by itself.

Bill,
I think the aluminum corroded because of water damage to the luan. Best I can tell anyways... when wood rots it makes an acid, and over time apparently it can do some damage. When I pulled the old siding off, there was plenty of moisture trapped between the walls.

I didn't do a whole lot tonight, but I did get the door and screen door mounted back in the frame. I still need some weather stripping/foam for the screen door to sit on so it doesn't rattle around, and of course the latch and the window need reinstalled too. I just keep plugging away... eventually...maybe... it will be done.

-cheers

Old 03-31-2016, 08:08 PM   #583

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
That is looking good.
Do you what is as scarey as having a tornado reported headed for your house? One headed to where you park your coach. luckey it missed.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:32 AM   #584

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Piker, the door came out looking great! Better than a new one for sure!
Rail!
Old 04-01-2016, 11:50 AM   #585

Solo Rvers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by guardrail53 View Post
Piker, the door came out looking great! Better than a new one for sure!
Rail!
X 2!! Lookin' good Piker!
Retired & perfecting procrastination!
DieselTech39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:03 PM   #586

Thanks guys...

Got the door put in tonight... what's great about that is even if we can't go anywhere right now, we can garage camp anytime if we want to! Plus, as I'm cruising around the back roads with my head out the window listening to the Cummins, I'll look a little less conspicuous...

Looks like the weather is going to turn to garbage for a week or so... I'm glad I took the time this week to get this all done while it's been warm.

So far, we're kind of liking how this is turning out. It's not perfect... but it sure is an improvement. I don't even know if I'll worry about graphics or not... I kind of like it just the way it is...

I thought I'd post a "before" picture here first... when all this started about a year and a half ago. At that time, there were a few folks on the forum here that thought I was crazy for even attempting this. They were right! But I'm sure glad I didn't throw in the towel... this might just work out after all.

-cheers

Old 04-01-2016, 09:08 PM   #587
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Well done!

By the way, I like the clean look of the right side of your rig. The dark base and the dark horizontal accent line further up work well for me.

Enjoy!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:29 AM   #588

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Piker, you are a miracle worker and do hope to see you on the road enjoying your work of art! Congratulations on your success. My dumb first post above was without reading all the posts on your project and I have sure learned a lot from you and others on this thread. Thank you for being a great inspiration.
Bill Grimsle is offline   Reply With Quote