Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-04-2016, 10:30 PM   #631

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Glad you are having a great trip, Piker! Enjoy, you and your family deserve it! Rail!
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2016, 06:14 AM   #632

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Piker,
Glad that you are out enjoying your labor of love. Have a safe and enjoyable rest of your trip.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 07:14 PM   #633

Piker, you should be smiling. I bet the title to that Country Coach has the name of the bank on it. That owner has no idea what the inside of his engine or walls look like. Your readers on this forum salute and admire you! HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:09 PM   #634

Made it back today safe and sound. Had a great time. Mom will probably sleep for a week.

The only real issues we had with the RV were some bad electrical connections on the tranny and the headlights. Also, the alternator started overcharging 800 miles from home, so I had to disconnect it from the system and rig the generator to charge the chassis battery while driving. It put a few extra hours on the genny, but we ran the rooftop AC's to keep us cool anyways so it worked out.

So... ya... I really hope to do the other side someday. I don't know when or if that will actually happen, but we'll put it on the list. Right now, I really want to keep enjoying the RV with the kids, so I'm planning on just fixing what is broken for now, and keep the thing on the road while we save up for the repairs and paint on other side.... and ends of course...

Below is a pic of our spot at the Tucson Lazy Days KOA... Tucson has the best weather in the world.

-cheers

Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 05:13 PM   #635

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Piker, That's great, so glad you had little issues and had a great trip, you needed it.
Old 07-10-2016, 05:30 PM   #636

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Made it back today safe and sound. Had a great time. Mom will probably sleep for a week.

The only real issues we had with the RV were some bad electrical connections on the tranny and the headlights. Also, the alternator started overcharging 800 miles from home, so I had to disconnect it from the system and rig the generator to charge the chassis battery while driving. It put a few extra hours on the genny, but we ran the rooftop AC's to keep us cool anyways so it worked out.

So... ya... I really hope to do the other side someday. I don't know when or if that will actually happen, but we'll put it on the list. Right now, I really want to keep enjoying the RV with the kids, so I'm planning on just fixing what is broken for now, and keep the thing on the road while we save up for the repairs and paint on other side.... and ends of course...

Below is a pic of our spot at the Tucson Lazy Days KOA... Tucson has the best weather in the world.

-cheers

Glad it was a good trip for you!
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 06:04 PM   #637
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Piker,

Welcome back home safe and sound!

Question: In the photo at Tucson, are those three ground coverings supplied by the campground? Or, are they something you carry with you and roll out? Or, some combination?

By the way, your rig looks very good in the photo.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 07:37 PM   #638

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Piker, I still say she looks great as is. I like the grass both parks we were at last season had no grass at the sites. I really missed it. Glad you had a good time.
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:06 PM   #639

Thanks everybody... It was certainly good to get away for a while after the past couple years of set backs and of course the crazy work schedule. Tomorrow... the crazy work schedule will start again...

CWK... those ground coverings are part of the campsite. The light colored area is a cement/flagstone patio with table and chairs. The black area is a paved parking area for a towed vehicle. The other areas are different colored gravel and of course grass. The shrubs are nice for a little bit of privacy... especially on the other side of the RV where the hookups are at. There are orange, lemon, and grapefruit trees all around the campground, and you're permitted to pick the fruit when it's in season.

The campground used to be run by LazyDays... but KOA took over the campground side of things, and Lazydays still runs the sales and service area. KOA made some improvements... there must be 30 sites underneath these huge steel canopies that have solar panels on the roof. It makes for 30 shaded sites in the heat of summer... they also added some cabins and some shade by the pool. The improvements don't come without a cost though. We stayed here 3 years ago when it was owned by Lazy Days and it was like $28/night in the summer (off season). I think this stay cost us almost $70/night. It's great for the kids though with the two swimming pools... plus laundry and a restaurant right on site with poolside service. The only drawback, other than being a little pricey, is that it's in kind of a rough section of town. The campground is gated with a security fence (complete with razor wire ) all around though, so we felt pretty safe. I'd definitely go again.

-cheers
Old 07-10-2016, 08:30 PM   #640

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Hi Piker,

I DO like your rig. Interesting about the change over at that CG. I do recall it as a Lazy Dayz 2 years ago. Unless I'm off on my dates. Before we got the DP, we moved from CA to TX by staying in our 32' TT that I pulled with the "non mover valuables" and a cat in side with me. Wife and the dogs in the car met up with me each night at each CG along the way. Was a great little trip until I hit downtown San Antonio traffic in my 50' long set-up, but it all worked out. Our last night was in downtown based KOA that actually was quite nice. They let us keep the TT on site for a couple extra days while we met the movers and got the basics together in our new house.
HD Ultra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:11 PM   #641

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
I think your rig looks a lot better than a lot of the ones I have seen out there.You did an exalent job. The best part is you are geting to go have some fun with it.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 04:56 PM   #642
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Piker,

Here is a link to a post on iRV2 that show a rig similar to the outside design you had made on the computer for your rig.

http://www.irv2.com/forums/f258/buyi...ml#post3191988

Scroll down to Post #8.

I still like what you currently have. Their's just looks too busy.
cwk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016, 05:49 PM   #643

Thanks cwk... I haven't given much thought to graphics lately. Since I've been back from vacation, I've been concentrating on just getting back in the swing of the work week. Actually, before we went on our big trip west, I came down with strep. Yes... 40 years old... with strep. It was cleared up before we left with antibiotics, but it came back while we were on the trip... and actually got worse after being on antibiotics during the trip. I was actually in the ER twice... once in Iowa, and once in Tucson. Then when we got back from our trip, a week later, the strep came back AGAIN! More antibiotics... more blah feeling... Can you say totally whooped? So ya, the RV hasn't really been in the forefront all that much lately. I've been tinkering with some of the things that needed fixed after the trip... alternator... cleaning connectors, etc... but it's been a slow process cause I'm not really fully recovered yet.

Right now I still don't have any plans to get the other side recovered. I mean, I plan to do it... but I don't have a time frame. I enjoyed our rving together so much, that I don't want to have any more down time than is necessary. It will take time to save and get materials purchased, and right now it's not just not on our radar. I keep hoping though...

At any rate... thanks for checking in on the thread... I wish I had something more to report, but for now, we're just kind of waiting. I see some driveway camping in our near future though.

-cheers
Old 08-06-2016, 01:53 PM   #644

Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Piker,
Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and you will get to the other side when you get to it. I hope that you have many years of enjoying your coach.
Frank
Franka548 is offline   Reply With Quote