Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 08-07-2016, 03:31 PM   #645

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franka548 View Post
Piker,
Enjoy the fruits of your labor, and you will get to the other side when you get to it. I hope that you have many years of enjoying your coach.
Frank
Agree whole heartedly with Frank.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-07-2016, 04:48 PM   #646

Thanks guys... we took a little scenic tour with the RV this afternoon, and will be doing some driveway camping tonight.

Life isn't always what we dream it will be... but as you all know, I've learned a lot about how to deal with that through the disappointments we've had with the RV over the last few years. I always used to ask "what if" a lot when it came to the possibility of disappointment. The truth is, disappointment is not just a possibility... it's pretty much a sure thing when we focus on the temporal world around us. Nothing in this world lasts forever... nothing in this world can truly provide lasting satisfaction...

So instead of living in that "what-if" mindset... in fear of what may or may not be... I think it's better to phrase it "even if..." If you believe in a god that is truly good, you can complete this sentence with an assurance and hope that will never dissatisfy...

-cheers

Old 08-07-2016, 05:43 PM   #647

Thanks Piker, we all need to remember what you just said and use it in our lives. I salute your philosophy and your spirit. Get well and keep us all in the loop. HarveyP

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2016, 10:46 PM   #648

Thanks Piker. Your positive attitude is tremendously helpful.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:44 AM   #649

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
Thanks guys... we took a little scenic tour with the RV this afternoon, and will be doing some driveway camping tonight.

Life isn't always what we dream it will be... but as you all know, I've learned a lot about how to deal with that through the disappointments we've had with the RV over the last few years. I always used to ask "what if" a lot when it came to the possibility of disappointment. The truth is, disappointment is not just a possibility... it's pretty much a sure thing when we focus on the temporal world around us. Nothing in this world lasts forever... nothing in this world can truly provide lasting satisfaction...

So instead of living in that "what-if" mindset... in fear of what may or may not be... I think it's better to phrase it "even if..." If you believe in a god that is truly good, you can complete this sentence with an assurance and hope that will never dissatisfy...

-cheers
This ranks amongst the best "thought of the day" statements I have ever read. A thought process we should use for the rest of our lives.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:57 PM   #650

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
This ranks amongst the best "thought of the day" statements I have ever read. A thought process we should use for the rest of our lives.
x2

Agreed!
jt
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 01:49 PM   #651

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
As much as I wish I would have come up with that on my own, I must admit that it is an idea I read a few weeks back that someone else posited... It has had such a big impact on me that it only made sense to share.

Cheers
Old 09-04-2016, 08:30 AM   #652

Piker I want to thank you for documenting your work. I'm only about 28 years older than you and I'm starting a very similar journey with a 93 Winnabego Vectra 35 DQ. There is an overheating issue with the 5.9. I'm waiting on the oil and antifreeze analysis' to come back from Holt Cat in San Antonio to see what the real condition of the motor is before I do much beyond getting prepared to do whatever it takes.

I love the coach because of the little things that make it special. But she is an old girl and her skin isn't what it used to be. The lower panels around the exterior are ABS and attached with a double sided tape. The adhesive has decided to go where dead adhesives go evidently. Our couple of thousand mile trip out west and back ended up consuming about half of a roll of white Gorilla Duct Tape.

Your work and attitude inspires me. And some of the commenters have offered some advice to you that I plan on using on my coach. Custom's mention of "shavers" rivets sent me calling and googling and I'm getting some of the rivets in and I found an RV mechanic that has offered to let me borrow his head shaving attachment.

My wife is a very down to earth person and was very depressed over some of the issues that have came up with the coach. I explained to her that RVs are about those kinds of issues, nature of the beasts. We are luckier than most because I can fix the issues so far and don't have to depend on others.

Thanks again for your documenting your adventures and having the can do attitude.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:18 PM   #653

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickf View Post
I really wish I had seen this post before I bought mine! I knew I had some delamination but I was not to worried because I was told the aluminum framework would stay solid and would not be like the older wood framed campers. I also never learned there was wood behind the glass! I never would have bought it had I known that. Too many years of dealing with rotted boat decks. Well, now I have it and I have no choice but to repair it so can anyone point me to a good place to do research on the repairs for water damaged Winnies?
I'm with you I purchased a 1988 gulfstream sun vista and the previous owner put silicone on the middle seam so water is separating the glass from the side wall from the middle to bottom. I new this going in to it so I am not worried about it. I am waiting till around march to tackle it . I am also thinking of putting newer style swoosh pin striping and paint the bottom section to match strips just wondering if it would look good with swoosh or straight strips.
Old 09-05-2016, 06:02 AM   #654

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wroughtnharv View Post
Piker I want to thank you for documenting your work. I'm only about 28 years older than you and I'm starting a very similar journey with a 93 Winnabego Vectra 35 DQ. There is an overheating issue with the 5.9. I'm waiting on the oil and antifreeze analysis' to come back from Holt Cat in San Antonio to see what the real condition of the motor is before I do much beyond getting prepared to do whatever it takes.

I love the coach because of the little things that make it special. But she is an old girl and her skin isn't what it used to be. The lower panels around the exterior are ABS and attached with a double sided tape. The adhesive has decided to go where dead adhesives go evidently. Our couple of thousand mile trip out west and back ended up consuming about half of a roll of white Gorilla Duct Tape.

Your work and attitude inspires me. And some of the commenters have offered some advice to you that I plan on using on my coach. Custom's mention of "shavers" rivets sent me calling and googling and I'm getting some of the rivets in and I found an RV mechanic that has offered to let me borrow his head shaving attachment.

My wife is a very down to earth person and was very depressed over some of the issues that have came up with the coach. I explained to her that RVs are about those kinds of issues, nature of the beasts. We are luckier than most because I can fix the issues so far and don't have to depend on others.

Thanks again for your documenting your adventures and having the can do attitude.
Good call on the oil analysis... that's how we knew for sure our engine was dusted 2 years ago. I was working from the opposite direction you were though... I had to know if the RV was any good under the skin before I spent the money to fix the engine.

That's funny about the duct tape... for years I considered covering up the corroded through holes in ours with that fancy decorated "Duck" tape. lol

As far as having a "cab-do" attitude... well... it's fair to say that on more than one occasion this whole ordeal brought me pretty low. In the end, it was good for me to learn how to work through the disappointment. "Even If..."

-cheers
Old 02-05-2017, 01:18 PM   #655

Just browsing around the site this afternoon and thought I'd go ahead and bump this thread once just to keep it alive. I still don't have any immediate plans to recover the other side of the RV yet... and to be honest, I don't know if I ever will. It has become very difficult to justify the expense when I'd much rather spend the time and money actually camping with the family... but in the event that I do get to the rest of it, I'd still probably like to catalogue the process here... so, I'll try to keep the thread alive...

As of late, I've been considering that it might be a better idea to just strip the old pink and blue decals off the driver's side (and end caps), put up new black vinyl around the outside of the panels, paint some new stripes right over top of where the old ones were, reseal the windows... and call it a day. It would only cost a few hundred dollars as opposed to about $4k, and it would give the RV a little bit better look while I take some time to consider whether or not replacing the panels is something that's going to be feasible for us.

This doesn't address the rotted out storage compartments behind the duals... or the continuing deterioration of the existing driver's side panels from the inside out. None of that can really be fixed properly without replacing the panels... so long term, if we are going to keep chasing the RV dream, it will all need done. And since "long term" isn't something you can really truly plan for... I suppose taking it day by day is what you do. A few dollars for some new vinyl and some caulk... maybe paint some stripes... is what I could do today...

-cheers
Old 02-05-2017, 01:33 PM   #656

Piker,
Question, please. Our rv is a 99. I am seeing rust on the underside metal on the coach parts that FW installed. Is this what you state that are "rotting out". Is there some advice, recommendation that you give to slow this up?
I do all my work, except for really heavy work, myself. Is this something a handy person can do?
Regards,
JimB
Old 02-05-2017, 01:41 PM   #657

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Piker, I think the repaint to match would be the way I would go for now. Who knows in 4or5 years you might think about (dare I use the word) upgrading to a different coach.
Jim B, to slow the rust a couple cans of Rustoleum are your friend. RV manufactuers seldom paint anything under a coach.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2017, 02:18 PM   #658

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBDISCOVERY View Post
Piker,
Question, please. Our rv is a 99. I am seeing rust on the underside metal on the coach parts that FW installed. Is this what you state that are "rotting out". Is there some advice, recommendation that you give to slow this up?
I do all my work, except for really heavy work, myself. Is this something a handy person can do?
Regards,
JimB
Hi Jim...

Click on this link here from earlier in the thread--> New Exterior Siding

This is what I mean by rotting out. The framing was literally deteriorated to nothing in some areas behind the rear wheels. If you follow through over the next few pages, you will see what I did to fix it. It took some imagination, but I was able to scab enough stuff together to bring it back to usefulness.

The driver's side of the rv is just as bad behind the rear tires, and will need the same thing done to it someday. At some point, the whole floor of the rear compartment is just going to fall out along with my sewer hose and all the fittings. It's pretty bad... but not unfixable.

As far as preventing rust... here in the northeast, the salt on the roads is the killer. The previous owner definitely drove this thing in the salt, which is the main reason for all the rust.

There are lots of different ways to combat rust... none of them are full proof... but I paint the underside of all of our vehicles with a mixture of boiled linseed oil, black Rustoleum paint, and some sort of petroleum oil... usually marvel mystery oil because it smells kind of OK. I spray it on with a paint gun. This mix seeps into all the cracks and crevices and after a few days dries up and sticks pretty good all winter. In the past, I've just used oil, but it doesn't last all winter.

Even though I don't take the rv out in the winter, our garage isn't heated, so in the spring, the underside of the RV condensates quite a bit. I sprayed the whole underside with about a gallon of the mix, and will do so every fall for as long as we own it. Again... this is how I do it... lots of other ideas out there though.

-cheers