Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-16-2017, 06:18 PM   #799

Well, I've got two layers of mesh tape layered between many more layers of ABS paste. It might just work. The stuff is hardening up nice, and there's no moisture seeping out anywhere. The trick was to apply a very thin layer of paste on top of the mesh tape, and then as it starts to tack up, make sure the tape is pressed up into the preceding layers, otherwise the tape sags and pulls the paste with it leaving a gap behind it. I think this is where the water ran out from before...

I'm hopeful, but just to be safe, I'm going to wait another week before I put any additional "stuff" in the black tank just to be sure it's cured up nice.

The repair looks the same as before, so no additional pics... and actually, photobucket has frozen my account because apparently they've changed their policy on 3rd party hosting, so I can't post any new pics anyways. And actually, all the pics on the engine rebuild thread and this thread may end up disappearing unless I pay for an account... which I won't be doing. That website literally FLOODS you with advertisements, which is how they pay for users to have free accounts. It seems crummy that they can change the terms of use at will, but I guess it is what it is.

Which is a bummer because I also installed 4 pc fans at the top of the refrigerator vent on the roof that I'd like to post... It was a free upgrade since I reclaimed the fans out of old computer power supplies. They use .8 amps total and move tons of air (the two old squirrel cage pc fans were 1.4 amps total). The best thing is that the air motion is a positive displacement inside the space behind the fridge, as opposed to the previous fan setup I had down at the base of the cooling unit that just kind of circulated the hot air around back there. I turned the fridge on just to test it, and overnight it dropped to 30° in the lower box... Even with an empty box. Never did that before... EVER. Very cool. Pun intended.

All for now. If the black tank repair holds, then the only real repair left from the last trip is the generator exhaust... replacing the siding on the driver's side is off the table for the foreseeable future...

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-16-2017, 08:14 PM   #800

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Time to start planning that next trip.
Bill
WILDEBILL308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 03:51 AM   #801

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Bill
...Alaska?

No probably not. Would require too much time off...

...Glacier? Maybe... Next year? Not sure...

Thinking out loud!

-cheers
Old 07-17-2017, 07:45 AM   #802

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDEBILL308 View Post
Bill
Absolutely. It is functional, looks good so get after the camping.
Old 07-17-2017, 09:35 AM   #803

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
...Alaska?

No probably not. Would require too much time off...

...Glacier? Maybe... Next year? Not sure...

Thinking out loud!

-cheers
On the Glacier trip, I recommend staying on the west side. Take a toad as you can't take the RV on the Going to the sun road. I also recommend taking a Red Buss tour. Some web sites to help with planning.
https://www.nps.gov/glac/index.htm
In-Park Transportation: Red Bus Tours | Glacier National Park Lodges
If you have questions just ask.

Bill
Old 07-18-2017, 11:40 PM   #804

Piker, google plasti-mend. I used it on a similar problem with fiberglass window screen embedded and it is still good over 5 years later.

Cummins/Allison
HarveyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 06:44 PM   #805

Harvey... I think the ABS paste I made at home is real similar to the plastimend stuff. I suspect they might use some different solvents to make it more potent as far as penetrating the existing tank material. That said, I think after several weeks the repair patch I put on is finally dry and is going to hold. Went for a drive with some "stuff" in the tank and it remained in the tank. Here's hoping anyways...

Bill... I don't think a toad will ever be a reality for us. I guess we'd have to consider renting a car to take the going to the sun road.

Still have to repair the generator exhaust... But had to stop and fix the hard top on my jeep. I had it hanging from the ceiling in the garage and one of the straps came loose and it came crashing down... Smashed it up pretty good, but I think I got the repair under control. Now it needs new fenders. Maybe next spring.

All for now...
Cheers
Old 08-01-2017, 06:47 PM   #806

Hey piker what year is your Jeep...I may be able to get a set for a jk

Mk

Sent from my XT1650 using iRV2 - RV Forum mobile app
mkohler30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 08:03 PM   #807

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkohler30 View Post
Hey piker what year is your Jeep...I may be able to get a set for a jk

Mk

'05 TJ

For a 12 year old Jeep with 175k on it in northwestern PA, it's actually in pretty good shape. The undercarriage is almost rust free. 3 years ago I split the seam at the bottom of the doors, sand blasted, and then folded the seam over again and painted. No rust since... might have something to do with the fact I filled the bottoms of the doors with rust preventive grease. The passenger fender is now rusted through in the same place all TJ fenders rust... Right at the top over the little brace they have tacked underneath which holds water and dirt in between.

At this point, I'll probably just let the coming winter demolish them some more before I replace. I'd like to fix it up and get another 3 or 4 years out of it. Maybe more... I had to do some fancy fiberglass work on the top after I dropped it, and then painted it with spray-on bed liner. It actually looks kinda good. It would really be a decent Jeep if I put new fenders on and painted the fender flares and running boards to match the hard top... We will see. If it wasn't my daily driver, it would be easier to work on just in my spare time (almost never) or when I feel like it (next to never!). Not the case though...

-cheers
Old 08-01-2017, 08:08 PM   #808

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Piker, you can take the Red Bus Tour but You have a jeep so you are halfway there. Having a toad gives you so much more opportunity to see and do. I park the Condo and go explore with the toad.
Bill
Old 08-01-2017, 08:21 PM   #809

Yup use your Jeep as the toad...see them all the time they flat tow well....

Here is a pic of the wife's Jeep and the Jeep trailer I builtClick image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170801_192105508.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	104.6 KB
ID:	171199Click image for larger version

Name:	2017052995105750.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	171200Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170526_195400936_HDR.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	124.9 KB
ID:	171201Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170526_192129577_HDR.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	171202

Old 08-01-2017, 08:34 PM   #810

Not gonna disagree with you guys on the benefits of flat towing a wrangler. It's actually one of the main reasons I bought this TJ. I just don't think I can justify the cost to get set up with a base plate, tow bar, brake system, etc... and then put additional wear on the jeep to boot. It would be smarter to bank some cash for future repairs to rv. Just can't do everything I wish I could, but isn't that life?

Cheers
Old 08-01-2017, 08:36 PM   #811

That's a cool jeep and trailer mk... very nice.

Cheers
Old 08-01-2017, 08:38 PM   #812

Thanks I really enjoyed building it...the wife will pull it with the Jeep and I will pull the 5er...she can carry the fuel and Genny and ice chests..

Mk