Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2019, 10:30 AM   #883

Gulf Streamers Club
After your bringing her back from the dead on your last trip I would have gained confidence, not lost confidence. You and this coach are not finished, you still have stories to make. She will do what she will do. Take whatever it is with a smile and thanks for the memories.

Just my opinion. Whatever you decide will be right for you and your family.

ronspradley
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2019, 11:29 AM   #884

Thanks Ron... I get your point about walking away from the experience with more confidence rather than less, but this one was a doozie! At the end of the day, we don't generally make rash decisions about this kind of thing, so perhaps time will alleviate the fear we kind of feel now. On the flip side, if I end up landing this new career, the 18 day trips out west will not likely be doable any more... especially if they know I might not make it back in this old thing.

As always, when you don't know for sure what to do, just don't do anything and wait for a bit. We will see what happens. The panels taking up space on the floor is obnoxious though...

cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:55 PM   #885

I understand where your at. I gave up on a beautiful Sea Rey
Boat many years ago after being towed back to the marina for the third time in three trips
Good luck
Old 09-14-2019, 07:28 PM   #886

Over the years you have achieved the very difficult if not the impossible for one man. Fortune has smiled even though it may not have felt that way at the time.

The horizon awaits.
Old 09-15-2019, 09:51 AM   #887

I hope a little time for rumination changes your mind, but I am not in your shoes.
I have read of your adventures and your tribulations; your meticulous work in doing things right is inspirational. My vote is to get her right and carry on!
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 11:42 AM   #888

Winnebago Owners Club
Whatever decision you make will be the right one. I am with Ron on his evaluation of the situation.

I have found that the longer you get past a bad event the less serious it will become. Bad though it was you still got through it. And are stronger and more knowledgeable for it.
Old 09-15-2019, 12:17 PM   #889
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Whatever decision you make will be the right one. I am with Ron on his evaluation of the situation.

I have found that the longer you get past a bad event the less serious it will become. Bad though it was you still got through it. And are stronger and more knowledgeable for it.
X2!!!

Give it some time, as you mentioned. I find that if I don't try to think about it for a while, then a solution(s) appears for me. Sometimes the solution is from others or external events. Sometimes my mind has worked on the problem in "background mode" (subconsciously). Sometimes it is a combination of things. I have learned to look up and say "Thank you, Sir" when that happens.

I cannot tell you what to do. That would be presumptuous. However, given your historical accounts of your accomplishments and thoughts about your family and faith, I am confident that you will make the best decision.

Best of luck!
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2019, 09:23 AM   #890

Tiffin Owners Club
I've had projects (cars and boats) that too way too much time, effort and money but I loved the escape they gave me from thoughts of work and life. When they left me I found myself sitting wishing I had them back. I enjoyed working on them more than using them. I don't have kids so I cannot relate to the time and attention they need. However, after many years, my wife did say did not like all the nights and weekends she spent alone while I played with my cars in the garage or spent at the dock on the boat. I did not know how it effected her. I think some decisions should be made with family input. If your project turned into a family affair it might be better. When you get older you soon realize we don't have a lot of time on this planet so it should be time well spent.
brokenrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 AM   #891

As usual, the insight you all have offered is encouraging. It is good right now for me to just sit back and start counting some blessings. Learning to be grateful and content is probably the most valuable discipline a person can learn... and mostly it is not dependent on your circumstances, though in the middle of the storm it can certainly seem like it is. The good news is that we have made some really crazy and lasting memories as a family in this old bus... the kids have seen more of this country in a few years than many people ever see in a lifetime... and since we have never gone into debt to live the RV dream, there is no financial stress if we should decide to lay this dream down; we can simply just walk away. Obviously a lot of what happens with the RV within the next year or so will depend on what I decide to do with my job. I've really had to work an awful lot of overtime to make this all happen... and the reality is that it's unsustainable to keep working like that for much longer. It's unusual for a person in my position to still be an hourly employee. The new career I'm considering would be salary, and while the value of each hour I put in would be the same or perhaps even a little more than what I currently earn, the opportunity to work extra to support things like trips across the country would go out the window. On the flip side, I would get some of my time back. There might be untold value in that.

So there's a lot to think about. I've set this dream aside many times over the years only to pick it back up again and run with it later on. I'm getting good at it. Not a bad place to be in life... owning your passions so they don't own you. Once again... we wait.

-cheers
Old 09-17-2019, 05:52 AM   #892

I was a contract working before contract working was kewel. For seven years I worked at the telco wondering what it would be like to get paid for what I did instead of showing up. It was disheartening work as I was encouraged to be like everyone else and just get along. I quit the telco in 76 and went into business for myself in construction.

I wasn’t good at business for myself. Seventeen people depended upon me and was a little too much for me in my late twenties. But late 78 the telco needed my skill set as a contract worker. It was the most rewarding financially time of my life. I was getting paid for what I did and not for just showing up.

Like all good things after a couple of years, stuff happened, change became the norm and I drifted between hourly, piece work, and management jobs in the telco contract world. In the late eighties I accepted my lot in life, working for myself by myself. It has been the happiest times, not the most rewarding financially, but happiest.

So with that personal history to color my advice I suggest your looking at the potential management job very close before you take it in a moment of frustration. The only reason they want to offer you a management position is to change your cost from a variable into a fixed. It’s for their benefit presented as a benefit for you. Chances are most likely your new position will involve training and managing others to do your job.

Your work skills and ethics are rare. But even rarer is the capability of training and motivating others to replace you. That’s not your fault. Society and culture have adapted to the new work force that doesn’t treasure loyalty and performance. I suggest you give a hard look at your coworkers as employees and how it would be to motivate them into a productive team. That might be the ultimate frustration for someone like yourself. Work becomes a job. Everyone I know hates a job. Even those who love their work.

As for the coach, it’s all about the memories. The kiddos are going to remember and cherish the hiccups and not the coasting. Dealing with the hiccups is the life lesson you’re giving them, coach is a chapter in the guidebook. It’s up to you to decide if the chapter is done and a new one is ready to open.

The caveat is the advice is free and only worth that price.
Old 09-21-2019, 06:17 AM   #893

Thanks for the career insight Harv... I suppose this forum is not the best place to discuss this, but what the heck. One point I may have failed to mention is that the new position would be with a different company... and actually a step down in title, pay, and responsibility. Right now I actually do manage most of the company as the "general manager." In the new job I would be a "project manager" with no direct reports, though resources across engineering, manufacturing, and sales departments would be allocated based on my recommendation to the director of operations.

There are a lot of reasons to consider this move, one is that the future of the place I currently work is shakey at best, simply because of politics within the owner's family. For the most part, the 2nd generation just doesn't get it, and there is no clear path forward even with the owner very near retirement age. And while the move is for less money, it would take me into a very professional and well managed atmosphere - truly a resume builder with potential for personal and financial growth. The downside is of course the significantly reduced annual pay. The expectation for hours worked is far less than what I work now, so if I apply those hours to my current job, the move would be lateral... but basically, I would lose the opportunity of extra overtime - of which I can work pretty much what I want - there is always something to do or to improve in the company towards which I can justify my time.

And of course... at the end of the day, the pay dictates the RV dream. Reduced pay means this would have to be set aside. With the way our harmonic damper breakdown affected us on our last trip, we may be ready to set this aside anyways. Again... we are not making any rash decisions on anything right now, but I will have to make a decision on the job probably by the end of next week, and this will directly affect our decisions regarding the RV. All for now... if any of you are praying members of the forum, we will take all we can get. My hope was that a door would either swing so wide open, or slam so tightly shut, that the decision would be crystal clear. No such luck as of yet... or perhaps I just can't see it? Most people would say to just follow the money, but I also have to think about my future, and to be sure, money's not everything.

cheers
Old 09-21-2019, 08:53 AM   #894

My experience with opening and closing doors is they are definitely ambiguous at the time. It isn't until after the transition takes place that I've seen it more clearly.

The leap is always most challenging right before you take it.
Brob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 06:36 PM   #895
cwk

American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Thoughts and prayers headed your direction. I trust that you will be able to make a great decision for your and your family.
cwk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 09:24 PM   #896

Monaco Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Piker, prayers coming all the way from Thailand!
I found during my working career, if you love your job, it makes going to work every day so much better! Position your self in the best possible place, and enjoy the ride!
In my trucking career, I worked for some great companies, and some not so great companies!
But I was not truly happy till I bought my own truck and trailer, and set it up to haul what I wanted, when I wanted!

Do what is best for you and your family! The MH will be there, waiting!
Rail!