RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 04-19-2018, 09:33 PM   #1

New fangled headlights go out

We have a 1986 wenniebago Chieftain. When we got it, the previous owner had purchased new halogen headlights to replace the old sealed beam bulbs. He had not installed them. I put them in. I like how they shine and the fact the they use a modern bulb. This rig had 4 head lights. 1 pr high/low and 1 pr high only. When I run the high beems, after a while, (15 2o0 minutes) they go off. I guess 4 bulbs burning on high is too much current for this old rig. What my question is, if I get led equivalent headlight bulbs, would they draw less current, and possibly not go out?

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Yes, they might draw less current. Then again they might not. I tried some, was not impressed. Nice bright beam out about 50' then nothing. Bought some Silverstars and using them now.

Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 09:46 PM   #3

LEDs use much less current. Another option is to use the headlamp wiring to toggle a relay. Used to do this putting the original sealed halogen lamps in older cars. Headlight switch had an auto-reset circuit breaker so after a few minutes lamps would start flashing. You move the high load to a relay and original wiring is only carrying load to toggle relay.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:06 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
See thread LedHeadlightsWhich are best .might have what you need. C spritz responce
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2018, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfowler55 View Post
LEDs use much less current. Another option is to use the headlamp wiring to toggle a relay. Used to do this putting the original sealed halogen lamps in older cars. Headlight switch had an auto-reset circuit breaker so after a few minutes lamps would start flashing. You move the high load to a relay and original wiring is only carrying load to toggle relay.
That's one of the ideas I was thinking about. If I do that will they need to be grounded differently or would the "facrory" ground be good enough.
Old 04-20-2018, 05:21 AM   #6

I would think the grounds would be about 14 gauge which would be fine. 16 may even make it. Use Bosch 4 pin relays. Pin 30 - fused battery input. 87 - to load. 85 - ground. 86 - control circuit to toggle relay. These are 30 amp continuous duty relays.
cfowler55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 06:43 AM   #7

Modern LED headlights will be much brighter and draw roughly 1/4 as many amps.
Old 04-20-2018, 10:20 AM   #8

One relay

Will one relay work for both bulbs, or one relay for each bulb?
Campasaurus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 01:48 PM   #9

Typical setup would be one relay per circuit, one relay for low beam and one for high.

To the OP: the old 4x6 seal beams would have been 45 watts per bulb, the replacements are likely 55 watts per. Thats 15 amps total to 18.3 amp total, the change might be just enough to cause the fuse or breaker to trip. If the wiring is up to the task upping the breaker size might work, but the relay route is the best solution as it takes the heavy current load out of the switching circuit.

If you are going to entertain the larger breaker, check the headlight switch for heat buildup. Its a common point of resistance and if its even a little warm do not try and pass more current through it.

Gary
Old 04-20-2018, 08:02 PM   #10

I put together a short write-up on the relay kit I installed on our old vintage rig. See the link below. It was a tremendous improvement (2x light output) at a fraction of the cost to swap out the existing lights with LED.

Dim Headlight Issue Resolved with Relays

-cheers
Piker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2018, 08:10 PM   #11
Community Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piker View Post
I put together a short write-up on the relay kit I installed on our old vintage rig. See the link below. It was a tremendous improvement (2x light output) at a fraction of the cost to swap out the existing lights with LED.

Dim Headlight Issue Resolved with Relays

-cheers

I did that same thing. Huge improvement over original wiring.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:47 AM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regarding the comment someone made about LED's using less current.

This RV came with a pair of sealed fog lights. 50 bucks each when one burns out or gets broken, both failed and fast... Now fog lights I do not often use so I finally "Fixed" 'em.. I put in a pair of 18 watt LED fog lights

That's 36 watts total.. about the same as a standard high beam

Effective amount of light is the same as six 100 watt light bulbs.

Sure lights up my path.
Old 04-29-2018, 08:06 PM   #13

Op here. I ran a wire to the battery and used a relay like cfowler55 said. I used the relay on the high only bulbs. Not the high/low. Works great. Took it for a drive this evening and no problem with the lights.

Tags
fan, led, light, lights