Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-25-2014, 04:56 PM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Guy looking at getting an older RV

Hi everyone! I dont have an RV yet but I am looking at getting a 94 Thor Residency 3500. It belongs to my future son in laws Dad. He said it needed some work but is great driving shape. He also said he just drove it from Colorado to San Diego and had no problems with the engine. It has 35000 miles and tires are 2yrs old. My problem is I dont have a clue as to what its worth and nether does he. He hasnt tried to use it so he cant tell me much about it. what are your thoughts?
planojeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2014, 05:28 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

I'd be afraid to offer you any advice because I have no idea what so ever.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 05:43 PM   #4

Welcome to the Forum. I am sorry but I have no idea on the value. You might check around the Internet at various dealers, consignment shops such as PPL.com, ebay and local dealers. You could also check the blue book/nada value. It would be hard for anyone to give you a figure without seeing it. It does sound like a great starter for someone beginning to RV.

Best of luck and keep us posted as to what you find out.
myshaggydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 06:20 PM   #5

You can check blue book value on the internet. That may give you a place to start negotiations. Buying from friends and relatives can be hard on relationships that said expect it to have some issues that's just the way it is with campers the original owner may or may not have known about an inspection by a third party may help find any problems and save any hard feelings.
Elf111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:48 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! It's great to have you join the bunch!

Sorry I can't help with your question. Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:07 AM   #7

I would start with NADA prices, if that doesn't please you I am sure that a local RV dealer would act as a broker of sort. I agree with others, buying or selling to friends and family is tough. Got burned on a motorcycle and a boat in two different sales.
Meck51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:17 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks all. I wish I had more info to go on. The rig is in ca. and I'm in tx. They sent me a video of it and the interior looks very clean but the exterior is very sun faded. I asked them to send me some pics but they didn't turnout very good. It has a new genset bought last year. He just wants it gone.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:39 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Vintage RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meck51 View Post
I would start with NADA prices, if that doesn't please you I am sure that a local RV dealer would act as a broker of sort. I agree with others, buying or selling to friends and family is tough. Got burned on a motorcycle and a boat in two different sales.
I have been burned myself a few times too. I'm not the type of person that will hold a grudge for something like this. The way I'm looking at it he wants to get rid of an old Rv I'm looking to get one. I'm a welder by trade and I like to work on my jeep. I'm not scared of a challenge. I just don't want to pay too much for something I'm going to have to do a bunch of work on. I will take everyones advice on using nada that might make it easier on both of us. Thanks
Old 05-26-2014, 04:15 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
I'd locate an appraiser in CA, then take a short trip to meet your soon-to-be family. If the rig looks interesting in person, then call the appraiser to look it over and pay whatever he thinks it's worth. That should give you some assurance that you're getting a good rig and give the seller some comfort that he got a fair price. Anything goes wrong down the road and you can both laugh about it and blame the appraiser.

Good luck and I hope it's a perfect fit for you.
minibike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 07:57 PM   #11

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
There are several things I do not do with family or friends and purchasing something from them is near the top of the list. It is too easy to lose a friend over bad feelings and to have family problems for years because of a deal that turns out to be like getting the short end of the stick.

IF you are intent on getting this mh then definitely go look at it yourself and crawl all around it, in the cupboards, under the bed, in all the basement spots, and most importantly get on your back underneath it. After you get a good feel for the condition then the price can be negotiated, and not at California's inflated prices.

Personally I would be wary of an owner who does not have a ball park price for their RV or other vehicles, they are likely to not care about proper maintenance, I always weigh the cost of a repair or maintenance against what the vehicle is worth and if I want to keep it for a while; e.g. putting a new tranny in my 2003 Kia Sedona or trading it off for something newer and adding the $5000 cost to the $1200 net worth of my Kia.

Just my 2 cents worth. And also welcome to the iRV2 family
Grandpere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 01:33 AM   #12

You can call an insurance company and they will tell you the insurable value of the rv.
lapetty1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 08:24 AM   #13

$6750
Old 05-30-2014, 08:30 AM   #14

Used 1994 Thor Residency 3500 for Sale | RVRegistry.com

1994 Thor Industries West Residency Series M-3500 Prices, Values & Specs, 1994 Thor Industries West Residency Series M-3500 Equipment Options | NADAguides, RV Values & Prices

1994 Thor Residency M-3500 Class A RV For Sale at Vance AL | Thor Residency M-3500 Motorhome | Stock No.
DonDee is offline   Reply With Quote