Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2012, 01:11 PM   #1

New Guy Need help understanding my Chassis

I just bought a 1991 Silver Eagle 30 ft class A from a widow. It was sitting unloved for 4 years
It has an Oshkosh Chassis, a Ford 460 carburated motor and a Dana Rear end
I have the motor running, the genset running and both ac units running but one ac needs a new fan, think I found one on eBay.
There is things on the motor and chassis I have never seen before, and there is a belt missing and I am not sure the belts on there are even in the right places.
Can I get a belt diagram of belt part numbers and how they run and what the heck some of those things the belts drive are for.
Right now I have no steering and no brakes, the power steering belt squeals when I try to turn the wheels it is very loose and I cannot figure out how to get at it to adjust the belt

please help
Bilito is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2012, 05:36 PM   #2

First of all, we'll need some photos of the engine from as many angles as possible.

With any luck, someone here may have a similar setup.
Old 01-27-2012, 07:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrblanche View Post
First of all, we'll need some photos of the engine from as many angles as possible.

With any luck, someone here may have a similar setup.

I can take pictures but thay are not gonna be much help because you cannot see much. From the front you can see the radiator, from inside you can see the air cleaner and thats about it, from under the motor I can see very little.
do you have to remove a front wheel to get in the wheel well to work on the motor?
Old 01-27-2012, 07:13 AM   #4

How do you post pictures? My pics do not have a URL, they are in my computer files under pics, I normally just find a pic, click on it and attach it to an e mail
Old 01-27-2012, 07:22 AM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When you post a reply just scan down the page and you'll see a box to "Attach Files" click on manage attachments, it will open another window then click on "Browse" find the picture out of your file, upload it and then post it. This has to be the simplest forum to attach pictures to a thread.
Steve N Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 08:48 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
When you post a reply just scan down the page and you'll see a box to "Attach Files" click on manage attachments, it will open another window then click on "Browse" find the picture out of your file, upload it and then post it. This has to be the simplest forum to attach pictures to a thread.
I followed your instructions and posted four pics, the site said thay were uploaded but I do not see them, how long does it take before thay appear here?
Old 01-28-2012, 08:09 AM   #7

Wow,
Had to do a google search on a Silver Eagle. They are nice looking rigs. Would like very much to see a picture of yours, so I hope once you figure out how to post pictures you include a exterior shot of your new toy. I have a 1991 Holiday Rambler on a Ford E250 chassis with the 460 engine - however my is EFI and all other things about the engine and drive train is standard Ford. Good engine - no problems after all these years. Hope you have as good luck as I have had.

DG
DCGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 03:14 PM   #8

The ford 460 on the osh kosh /john Deere chassis had alternator, power steering pump , power brake pump and chassis/engine a/c unit driven with belts.

Will try and find chassis info as similar to the John Deere we have, plus freightliner now has the rights & spares for the john Deere / osh kosh chassis lines. There is a freightliner help line that if you give over the last six digits of your VIN number they can help you with part numbers etc of all the spares still available for your osh kosh chassis.

Pop into the freightliner forum on here for help line number can't remember it! Good luck with your rig!!
Old 01-28-2012, 07:17 PM   #9

Nor'easters Club
Historically the chassis started out as a John Deere (very similar to the older Dodge frames), then Oshkosh bought the business, then Freightliner bought them. For some chassis specific parts I have gotten them from Freightliner.

I have collected a series of documents on the John Deere Chassis. In there is a belt size & location schematic that may match yours. They are available at 1989JD. All are small files except the 89-JD-Chassis-Manual. It is almost 400mb large. You are free to downlaod any or all that you wish. The engine is likely to be a year older than the RV. The RV manufacturers often carried chassis stock over from the prvious year. Enjoy.
Old 01-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Try this set up for belts pretty close to my old JD.
Welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 07:48 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsflight View Post
Historically the chassis started out as a John Deere (very similar to the older Dodge frames), then Oshkosh bought the business, then Freightliner bought them. For some chassis specific parts I have gotten them from Freightliner.

I have collected a series of documents on the John Deere Chassis. In there is a belt size & location schematic that may match yours. They are available at 1989JD. All are small files except the 89-JD-Chassis-Manual. It is almost 400mb large. You are free to downlaod any or all that you wish. The engine is likely to be a year older than the RV. The RV manufacturers often carried chassis stock over from the prvious year. Enjoy.
I contacted freightliner, they did not have much to help me with except they have the original build sheet and a diagram of belt routing on the ford 460
I am attempting to attach a picture of the belt diagram perhaps someone can ID all the parts and explain what an air pump of brake pump is, I never heard of them.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rv repairs 017.jpg
Views:	4713
Size:	261.6 KB
ID:	17490  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:08 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCGarcia View Post
Wow,
Had to do a google search on a Silver Eagle. They are nice looking rigs. Would like very much to see a picture of yours, so I hope once you figure out how to post pictures you include a exterior shot of your new toy. I have a 1991 Holiday Rambler on a Ford E250 chassis with the 460 engine - however my is EFI and all other things about the engine and drive train is standard Ford. Good engine - no problems after all these years. Hope you have as good luck as I have had.

DG
This is it coming home, all the batteries were shot, I did jump start the motor and the genset and got the ac units to run before I purchased it.
The other day I started the motor and it made a horrible sound, I was wondering what it was when there was a clunk and the motor stopped. Pulled the starter yesterday and took it to a repair shop, it was seized, the bendix did not return the starter gear and the sound I heard was the motor spinning the starter until it perished. It will be ready tomorrow afternoon. I also pulled the alternator which was not working and the repair shop tested it and said it was perfect. What could be keeping that from charging?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	TV repairs 1 005.jpg
Views:	1028
Size:	325.1 KB
ID:	17491  
Old 01-29-2012, 08:50 AM   #13

What spark plugs do I need

As Long as I am in the wheel wheel and I can see the spark plugs I might as well replace them. What is the best plug for that 460 and what is the gap please?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:31 AM   #14

you could try looking at medium duty f series truck with the same engine they may give you some point of reference for adjustments and parts

Tags
chassis