Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2011, 07:11 PM   #1

New here, Need help with my '74 Coachmen Cadet

I bought a 20' 1974 Coachmen Cadet camper for what I thought was a good deal but now I'm not sure. There was a little hole in the floor when I bought it and I started to tear it out and found out it was more than just the floor! To make a long story short I have the front and the side tin removed replacing alot of the wood (the structure walls) not to mention I just replaced the support boards and a big section of the floor. I was wandering if anyone has any kind of structure plans for this type of camper as some of the wood has rotted away or can I just make sure everything is tied together and supported? I used to rebuild cars as my hobby but now I enjoy working on things like this camper so the work does not bother me but I was wandering when do you keep going and when do you cut your losses and walk away?
Any feed back would be very helpful.
freebird1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:24 AM   #2

The hardest part of a project like the one you're on is getting to the point where you can start reassembling. It should not be that difficult to figure out how it was built originally during that process. Resist the urge to reinforce beyond the original design. It's just not necessary and only causes delays.

I don't know how far you're into it, but if it's any help, can tell you the walls are built separately, then joined on top of a floor that was built separately. The cabinets are then installed, and finally the roof/ceiling.....

Your previous projects demonstrate you are in possession of the patience required here. I'd encourage you to keep going with it. Just don't over think it?
Old 07-19-2011, 06:40 PM   #3

Thanks for the feed back, I did start to over brace everything but then started to back off and try to follow what they did. I just have to be careful with my projects because I can get a lot of time and money tied up in them ( that's just the way I am)
Thanks again for the feed back
Old 07-20-2011, 06:08 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by freebird1972
I bought a 20' 1974 Coachmen Cadet camper for what I thought was a good deal but now I'm not sure. There was a little hole in the floor when I bought it and I started to tear it out and found out it was more than just the floor! To make a long story short I have the front and the side tin removed replacing alot of the wood (the structure walls) not to mention I just replaced the support boards and a big section of the floor. I was wandering if anyone has any kind of structure plans for this type of camper as some of the wood has rotted away or can I just make sure everything is tied together and supported? I used to rebuild cars as my hobby but now I enjoy working on things like this camper so the work does not bother me but I was wandering when do you keep going and when do you cut your losses and walk away?
Any feed back would be very helpful.
It all depends on how much is too much for you and your wallet, and how much you like it.
RonS1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 06:47 AM   #5

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Pictures?
J
GOLDWINGER2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 05:55 PM   #6

I was working on it tonight and I finally found solid wood in the walls. I figure this winter I will tear out the ceiling where it is soft and keep going.
As for the pictures I will try to upload some (I live out in the stixs so I still have dial up)
Thanks again for the input