Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-08-2015, 11:41 AM   #1

Gulf Streamers Club
New leak

I am getting really tired of all the roof and window frame leaks I've had to deal with on the "Pig"! I just went out to check it the other day, and found the carpet soaked and the wood wall panels in the hallway soaked at the bottom from the skylight leaking. It leaked before, and I sealed around it on the roof, thinking I had solved the problem. I've noticed the bedroom walls are also getting wet where they meet the ceiling. I covered the rear two thirds of the roof (all the tarp I had) to stop any further damage for now, but will have to deal with it when the rains go away in the summer. I'm thinking the only way to fix it is going to have to be removing all the old sealer and starting from scratch with some of the new high-tech products available now. What is the best method for removing the old stuff???...it has a rubbery grey sealer in some areas, and on top of that is a stiffer white sealer similar to "Snow Roof" paint-on sealer. The white stuff is brittle and cracking in most areas, and is still pliable in some others. It seems like a labor intensive nightmare to remove all of it, but I think that's the only way I will be able to stop all the leaks dependably. The roof, by the way, is aluminum, and seems to be riveted to an aluminum curved edge that goes over the outside edges of the roof and overlaps down onto the side sheeting. I think it's riveted because under the "Snow roof" it has a row of bumps the full length that just look like large rivet heads, but I haven't removed the coating to see what they are. Have any of you found an "easy" way to remove all the old crud to enable a fresh start with sealer?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-08-2015, 02:09 PM   #2

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I am sorry I don't, but might I suggest raising the rear end of the MH so if and when it rains it will run towards the front instead of inside. Looked at your Picture and she has that neat look really like the upper window's. Not sure about the Pig but I think she looks pretty cool. I haven't seen many on the road, just like mine...
JS,
Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 10:36 AM   #3

Gulf Streamers Club
Thanks for the reply, Tim. I haven't seen any others like it since I bought it about 7 years ago. I don't think they made very many. It looks much different now, as I painted it white with tribal flame designs in black, so if you saw it you would definitely know it was us I will change the icon picture when I can get a new one on this new computer...I don't have all my pictures transferred to it yet. (Just found one so changed my icon picture) I'm thinking there is probably no "easy" way to remove all that old sealer. Probably just many hours of hard work scraping and cutting away the old crud. By the way, we have a big chrome pig with lighted orange plastic wings for a hood ornament and it gets a lot of smiles from people who see it. Mike
Old 02-09-2015, 07:40 PM   #4

Vintage RV Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
New leak

I have to say when it comes to sealants I stay away from RV type stuff and go to the high quality commercial building sealants...Sika is a good one and comes in tubes while many others are only available in sausages or cans which are really nice but require more specialized gear...BASF makes a really good line as well...the tooling you put on the joints is also critical...it's almost an artform with more complex items like windows ...the basic tools are pretty simple and resemble cake decorating spatulas in varying widths and that's how the nice beads you see are formedClick image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1423535179.121769.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	85675
In the Northeast to mid Atlantic AH Harris supply is a good source for them and they are too inexpensive not to have a few on hand for caulking jobs and various types of caulking from high content silicone to poly sealant/adhesives and even self leveling sealants great for getting edges and low spots. Most building grade components have ground contact warranties around fifteen years so it's pretty good stuff. I scraped all the Butyl tape from the edge joints on my Beaver where the roof met the upper wall as well as the lower area as it had failed and shot a nice bead of Sika Flex in there and then reinstalled all the trim and I can tell you I won't be messing with it in my lifetime.
Get a good quality heat gun to aid in removal of old sealants.
jmm2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Thank you jmm2020. I hadn't thought about the commercial building products, but now that you mention that I think you're probably right! I have used Sika Flex in the past on my job as a pool operator. We used it with backer rod to caulk the expansion joints on pool decks. It really was good stuff! We used the self-leveling type, but I'm sure they make stiffer stuff for out of position seams. I will buy a heat gun when I get ready to tackle this job, but that will probably be when the weather dries out here, usually about July 5th In the mean time I'm going to plug the MH in, and run a couple of electric heaters to try to dry it out, along with the calcium air dryer, and hope there's not more damage than what's visible already.
Old 02-10-2015, 08:28 AM   #6

OT but .... nice Sterling!
Old 02-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #7

Gulf Streamers Club
Also OT, but thanks 429CV23! If I could get my Wife into it, I would make it my toad I manufactured those for about 13 yrs., and just sold the molds about 4 yrs. ago. This one has a 140 hp. Corvair engine, and flies low.
Old 02-11-2015, 11:53 AM   #8

Very nice! I have a 1980 Bradley GTE, the 96v electric version of the GT2. I've had it for many years, and will finally be completing the new drive system and getting her on the road this Spring.
Old 02-12-2015, 07:52 AM   #9

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
I hope you post some Pic's for us...
Tim
Old 02-12-2015, 07:55 AM   #10

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Wild Irish,
Have you got any more exterior shots. From a distance it looks pretty cool.
I've been tossing around the idea of a paint job on mine, just the front and rear caps.
Tim
Old 02-19-2015, 10:07 AM   #11

Gulf Streamers Club
Hi Spritz. I'll try to put pictures in this post. I just got a new (used) computer with windows 7, and the way it handles picture files is so different from my old windows xp that I'm getting a jumbled mess to try to find things in. Hopefully I'll be able to find a couple of the finished paint job pictures....OK, I found some pictures, but it just keeps telling me the file is too large How do I fix that problem?
Old 02-19-2015, 10:40 AM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club

For 20 bucks become a supporting member of iRV2 and you get more space for pictures. Of course other bennie's
Have you tried to upload just one Pic at a time? That's how I do it anyway.
Looking forward to the Pic's.
Tim
Old 02-19-2015, 03:40 PM   #13

Google photo resizer and find one of the many free apps that resize the bit count.
Old 02-20-2015, 03:16 AM   #14

Gulf Streamers Club
OK, I downloaded a photo resizer, so will try to attach some pic's now. I downsized them to the smallest possible size and they still say "File Too Large" Somewhere I read that pic's could be no larger than 1600x1600, and the ones I tried to download are 1200x900, I think, and not even one can be loaded. What am I doing wrong???!!!

Tags
leak