Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 09-24-2014, 12:50 PM   #197

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
One neat trick with valve covers like these is you can put a coat of power on, cure it, and then take a die grinder with a gasket cleaning disk and grind of the tops of the fins, and then put a coat of clear on the whole valve cover. It comes out very nice.
Yup, that is the plan... Like these I did before...

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #198
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyair View Post
Yup, that is the plan... Like these I did before...

outstanding.

Old 09-26-2014, 07:06 PM   #199

Today's progress...

Prepped and ready.

Gloss black powder on...

Into the oven it went.... only just fits, that why it is suspended like this... the back edge hits the back wall, but only where its not coated!

Flowed out at 450F.

After 20 mins at 400F, it was left to cool... a couple of porous spots despite preheating to 500F, but they will be hidden.

Some detail work, and its almost finished... onto #2.
Old 09-26-2014, 09:39 PM   #200
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Today's progress...

Prepped and ready.

Gloss black powder on...

Into the oven it went.... only just fits, that why it is suspended like this... the back edge hits the back wall, but only where its not coated!

Flowed out at 450F.

After 20 mins at 400F, it was left to cool... a couple of porous spots despite preheating to 500F, but they will be hidden.

Some detail work, and its almost finished... onto #2.

Very Nice!
Old 10-08-2014, 07:09 PM   #201

#2 done...
Old 10-09-2014, 02:37 PM   #202

So, here we go...
Back onto Headlamp housings.
These are huge aluminum castings...

Prepped and ready... had pre-conditioned casting at 500deg for 30 mins to try to outgas and burn of impurities... common suggestion when doing this type of piece... it was smoking alright!

Laid down a pretty thick coat of gloss black powder.

Getting this thing into my oven was a tight squeeze... I did 2x prep/positioning runs beforehand... only about 1/4" clearance all around!

Took almost 30 mins for casting to get to 400f and the powder to flow out... thise things have a lot of mass! Then another 30 mins to cure.

About 2 hours later, it had cooled enough to take it out... with welding gloves on!

Having had my previous experience with the futility of getting a good shine on these castings, I am going to bring the highlight areas to a brush finish... I think the contrast with the black and polished surfaces is good.

Almost done... just a little flow work on the radiused sections.
Old 10-09-2014, 05:36 PM   #203
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
So, here we go...
Back onto Headlamp housings.
These are huge aluminum castings...

Prepped and ready... had pre-conditioned casting at 500deg for 30 mins to try to outgas and burn of impurities... common suggestion when doing this type of piece... it was smoking alright!

Laid down a pretty thick coat of gloss black powder.

Getting this thing into my oven was a tight squeeze... I did 2x prep/positioning runs beforehand... only about 1/4" clearance all around!

Took almost 30 mins for casting to get to 400f and the powder to flow out... thise things have a lot of mass! Then another 30 mins to cure.

About 2 hours later, it had cooled enough to take it out... with welding gloves on!

Having had my previous experience with the futility of getting a good shine on these castings, I am going to bring the highlight areas to a brush finish... I think the contrast with the black and polished surfaces is good.

Almost done... just a little flow work on the radiused sections.
I'm glad you back at work on the motor home. I get tired of reading my own project build. I'm glad that someone else has the same sickness I do.

Have you thought of putting a coat of clear (powder coat) on top to keep the air away from the bare aluminum?
Old 10-09-2014, 06:34 PM   #204

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennLever View Post
I'm glad you back at work on the motor home. I get tired of reading my own project build. I'm glad that someone else has the same sickness I do.

Have you thought of putting a coat of clear (powder coat) on top to keep the air away from the bare aluminum?

I hear ya Glenn.

Yes, but my first try at clearcoat was not good... came out all opaque... put too much on I think...

Suggestions?
Old 10-09-2014, 10:43 PM   #205
New to the RV World

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
I hear ya Glenn.

Yes, but my first try at clearcoat was not good... came out all opaque... put too much on I think...

Suggestions?
I put clear on just about everything I do because it gives it depth and adds gloss. The only stuff I do not put clear on is flat or semi gloss.

You have to put enough on for it to flow out, if not it comes out looking like dry over sprayed paint.

Is you clear white before you cure?

Mine is and I put enough on so you cannot see the base color through the uncured clear.

My clear comes out clear and very glossy.

I have cleared raw polished aluminum and it comes out almost as shinny as with out the clear, but not quite a shinny as with out the clear. Not that noticeable, but if you put a cleared piece next to an uncleared piece you would see the difference.

It does sound like you might have put to much on.
Old 11-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #206

New to Everything!!!!

High All,
I'm about to take possession of a 1992 350 LE. I'm new to RVing, this site and this thread. This is my test post so I'm gonna bookmark it so I can get back to it and contribute.

Keep on truckin!!!

Malcolm
Old 11-22-2014, 01:09 PM   #207

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malmills View Post
High All,
I'm about to take possession of a 1992 350 LE. I'm new to RVing, this site and this thread. This is my test post so I'm gonna bookmark it so I can get back to it and contribute.

Keep on truckin!!!

Malcolm
Hi Malcom,
This site is more generalized, but useful because it great to see what other brands and owners are doing with their rigs. I find it adds inspiration to my build, and hope that mine reciprocates.
There is much crossover too, with the P30 chassis being used on many MH's of the era.
For much more specific info, check out Airforums.com, in the Airstream Classic Motorhome forum.
Old 11-23-2014, 07:49 PM   #208

Gulf Streamers Club
Malcom, on this forum you can SEARCH for almost anything. Even SEARCH for yourself by clicking on the icon for your handle, and click on the show me what this guy has posted before.

Great site. Great information.

Welcome

ronspradley
Life's too short to drink cheap beer.
ronspradley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 04:44 PM   #209

Beautiful

Wow, you have done a nice job on the finish. How much time would estimate it took from start to finish?
Old 02-14-2015, 04:54 AM   #210

Great Work!

I have owned 2 Airsteams, TT not MH.
Love the work you are doing.

John

Tags
airstream, motorhome