Yes Ken, I am an active member over there... love that forum!
Just found this one and wanted to say hi.
I am still shocked over how many people do not know that Airstream made a Motorhome in the Classic style.
Time to spread the word!
Also, I realized that we need more "cross-pollination" as a lot of our Motorhomes sit on the same chassis, in the case the P30, with the 454. There is a lot of good info here, and over at the Airforums in the Classic Motorhome section.
I will be active in making sure we all know where the good info is!
Thanks for the complements Peeps!
We knew we could not afford a newer rig, and I was looking at HR's from the 80's, but found the wall delamination and roof leaks a big worry.
When we found out that AS made a Motorhome in this shape, AND that the walls do not rot(the water runs down inside and rots the floors instead), it was a done deal!
We love the shape/style, altho the compromise is a little less space, and of course the skin is easily damaged.
We found this one on Ebay, in KS. The plan was to find one that needed work, as we have the skill-set but not a huge budget. The Mechanicals were great, and the interior was pretty good, and the rest we could do in time.
Whilst the laudery list of jobs get longer everytime we look, we are making progress...
I have now collected, and restored all the missing smog related gear, ready to go on.
MH had a Edelbrock carb on it... which runs great, but is not OEM and therefore not CA smog complient..
Correct Quadraject was found and rebuilt.
Restored Quadrajet Carb and Edelbrock Intake(not sure if the intake will fit yet!).
Banks Airfilter and base..
Smog pump and air injection gear.
Restored the Auxillary interior heater..
Repaired a common Kohler genset oil leak, and put the unit on slides for future mantainance..
Built a little curved cover to beatify the aftermarket rearview camera..
Restored the water and Eectrical reels, and compartment..
Restored the basement storage drawers..
And battery tray, which was too far gone to just repair, so it was completely rebuilt, and deepened to accomodate up to 8x 6V Golfcart Batteries. Exterior was polished and the rest Bedlinered.
We have several soft floor spots, so the first order of business was sealing the shell, and the oddly, the polish is the first step. The old clearcoat was toast, so it was a no brainer.
No point in repacing the floor if its still leaking!
Here is(so far..) the worst spots..
Under the bed, in the rear corner..
There is also work needed in the bedroom closet floor... the floorsafe was full of water and a mess..
The leak there was traced to the sewer vent stacks... the seals were toast, so they were repaired and the stacks modded to protect better.