Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 12-29-2011, 01:45 PM   #141

It was quiet where we camped Francesca. I think there were only 3 campers at that big camp ground. Honestly though, the non stop rain took it's toll on my spirits.

From what I understand, a lot of the Corps of Engineers camp grounds in Alabama will close for the winter next year due to funding. That really bothers me! But myself and several family members bought about 45 acres of land a few months ago. There is no power or water there, and I'm trying to warm my wife up to the idea of camping there in the winter.

Ragingbull, DW must hate cold weather!

And thank you rebuilder. Juding by your name, I could sure use your help working on my old camper! LOL

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-29-2011, 02:24 PM   #142

Vintage RV Owners Club
45 acres of your own- cool!
Hmmm...
I smell an opportunity here
How about tradin' time?
You can camp on my 35 acres whenever you're in the West, and I can camp on your 45 acres whenever I'm in the East!

About the winter rain and your wife's reluctance to camp on the property at that time:
You and your co-owners might consider building some kind of "picnic shelter" there- you know, something you could pull up to and park alongside in winter...complete with a big ol' stone firepit etc.
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01869.jpg
Views:	38
Size:	379.7 KB
ID:	16666 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01870.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	355.6 KB
ID:	16667
Something like this, maybe without the sag to one side

OR....

Name:	DSC01886.jpg
Size:	459.3 KB
ID:	16665 Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01888.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	282.7 KB
ID:	16668
You could get all carried away and build 'er with an honest-to-goodness fireplace

How cozy would that be?

Francesca

P.S.

EGAD!!!
I've just suggested another project for you!!!!

Perhaps I really am Evil Incarnate

F.

Old 12-29-2011, 03:19 PM   #143

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Yep DW hates the cold. Of course she hates the heat. At least today she doesn't hate me!
Old 12-30-2011, 10:52 AM   #144

Thats gorgeous Francesca! My wife loved it! But I think you have more confidence in my carpentry skills than I do.

Ragingbull, where is Neverland?
Old 12-30-2011, 12:48 PM   #145

Vintage RV Owners Club
Just to be clear-

Those pics are of shelters at some of our favorite public lands campgrounds, not on OUR land!

Not that I wouldn't love to have one down by the pond here at home...

Francesca
Old 01-02-2012, 07:16 AM   #146

I had some discussion with the wife, and I think our next step will be to get electricity at the land. Then we can camp and build. I am gonna have to figure out some budgeting to get electricity, since I refues to keep taking on expenses without cutting costs elsewhere.

I couldnt talk her into camping over the New Years holidays. She is trying to deal with some problems with her son(my step son) who is in Arizona in the Air Force(for the moment anyway). It has really put a damper in her spirits
Old 01-02-2012, 04:17 PM   #147

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
bicklebok
Right now I'm up in West Texas just outside Big Spring.
Old 01-16-2012, 06:14 PM   #148

I have been doing a little work to the camper each day for the past few days. I't's really coming along on the back wall. I ran out of 1 1/4" lumber so I'm gonna have to chase down my neighbor and get him to rip me a couple of pieces. I have no idea what's gonna happen when I try to start paneling it. That's when my framing mess tells the tale! LOL
Old 01-16-2012, 06:38 PM   #149

My brother has one even smaller than Francesca's. He used to use it for hunting, but the last time I saw it, the money grubber stored spare parts in it. Haven't him seen for years, and he only lives 3 miles from me.
Dunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2012, 05:39 PM   #150

What are these pieces called?

Does anyone know what these plastic pieces are called that go around the window seal? And if they come in common sizes that can be purchased?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper 12812.jpg
Size:	59.5 KB
ID:	17475  
Old 02-16-2012, 07:31 PM   #151

Just a quick update. Im almost finished with the wall framing. I ended up having to pull out the side windows because the framing around the windows was rotten. I resealed the windows and reinstalled them after framing the interior window wall. Things are coming along nicely.

The wife bought a sewing machine and says she will be able to sew new seat cushions when the time comes. Probably still the most satisfying of all so far is going in the camper after a heavy rain and seeing a completely dry camper! That never gets old!

Last, I am really learning to work with wood. My confidence level is going up and I know now when I run into a problem, I can solve it! Than you everyone for the support. Should have some progress pics soon.
Old 02-16-2012, 09:50 PM   #152
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
Probably still the most satisfying of all so far is going in the camper after a heavy rain and seeing a completely dry camper! That never gets old!
That should come under the heading of "Priceless"!

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote