Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-04-2011, 11:26 AM   #71

Vintage RV Owners Club
Thanks!

This is a trailer that's been sitting around here for years...
We don't use it for anything but a playhouse for the kids.
Recently I've started thinking about a "restoration"...especially since there seems to be a market for them.
It could be a fun project with a potential reward at the end!

Thanks for the info...
That's a great quote you posted- why not "poach" it for your Avatar?

Please do keep posting pics- it's real interesting to see your progress...

Francesca
Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-08-2011, 04:30 PM   #72

Today I did some more gutting of rotten wood on the back wall and side walls. It's taken me a lot longer than I thought but I have to tell myself it's not a race. I think I will remove ALL the wood on the back section and reframe it all. At first I was goig to patch it but I know I would regret it later. I think the windows may have to come out but Im not sure yet. I have a couple more pics but it would only let me post one. Will post the others separately.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	camper1008113.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	14562  
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 04:33 PM   #73

Another pic.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper1008112.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	64.0 KB
ID:	14563  
Old 10-08-2011, 04:41 PM   #74

Couldnt get the last pic to upload. But not really much to see, in any of them really! LOL A carpenter buddy of mine stopped by to give me some advice on the work today. He stayed over about an hour and a half just chit chatting. I wanted so bad to hand him a hammer and tell him we can talk while we work! LOL
Old 10-09-2011, 08:20 AM   #75

Here's another picture standing outside the camper looking through the back window. I know, it's a mess!

Due to my lack of wood working knowledge I got very frustrated yesterday with a feeling of being overwhelmed. So I walked away and did something that I actually know how to do-wash my vehicle! Then, I walked back in the camper and all was better! I can handle it!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper100911.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	14589  
Old 10-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #76

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by bicklebok View Post
So I walked away and did something that I actually know how to do-wash my vehicle!

Just remember, things could always be worse:

Francesca
Old 10-09-2011, 12:52 PM   #77

Thank you Francesca! I have some news though. There's a person trying to sell a Scamp 13 camper near my house. He has had it a while. Well, we stopped by today and looked at it and we have a deal worked out on the price but he is looking for the title at the moment.

If he finds the title, I will be picking it up within the next hour or so. But I'm still gonna restore my old camper. Just not going to have be in any hurry!

If we are able to get the Scamp, we will be able to eventually take some long trips with it. It's very light weight and easy to pull.

I will keep everyone posted.
Old 10-09-2011, 10:53 PM   #78

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's great news!
And you don't have to tell me how great those little trailers are...
Here's a pic of my favorite solo traveling unit... Click image for larger version

Name:	Red Rock Lake.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	364.9 KB
ID:	14597
That '78 Trillium has been all over the West Coast behind my 4 cyl Kia!
I hope you don't have problems with the Title- seems pretty common with these fiberglass trailers for some reason...
It's been my experience that the best way to avoid 'em is to make sure you've got "good paper" before you give the seller all the money.
Post Pics when you get 'em!

Francesca

P.S.

I hope you're still going to finish this project, too- it's real interesting to follow.
Old 10-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #79

I didnt know you had a fiberglass camper! Neat!

He found the title and we bought it. Here's a couple of pics.My wife loves it and that's her in one of the pics. It's a 2000 Scamp 13. The interior is in pristine condition. I checked everything out and it's in great shape.

We werent able to talk him down much on price, but his asking price was very reasonable. I did some searching online and they seem to have a good resale value. Actually I was shocked at some of the asking prices I saw online, and we bought it for much less than any I saw online.

I love the light weight. We can pull this thing anywhere! I have an older Toyota Tacoma to pull it with which is actually overkill for this light weight camper. But I like it that way!

I'm going to continue to work on the other camper, but now I can take my sweet time. We bought a little land about 15 miles from home, and once I get the old camper fixed, I think i'm going to take it down there and leave it to camp in.

I would love to see more pics of yours. Are they posted anywhere already?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	scamp October 9 2011.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	48.8 KB
ID:	14599   Click image for larger version

Name:	scamp october 9 2011 1.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	14600  

Old 10-10-2011, 12:04 PM   #80

Vintage RV Owners Club
Wow!

If you paid less than $5,000.00 for that little gem you got a heck of a deal

It looks like it's in perfect shape...
I don't have a lot of pictures- most of my camping pics are of my Grandkids!
But here's a couple...Click image for larger version

Name:	Trillium at Twin Lakes.jpg
Views:	109
Size:	285.2 KB
ID:	14602

Name:	Trillium at Twin Lakes 2.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	319.2 KB
ID:	14603
I've had this trailer for almost seven years now- I bought it solely because it was the only standy-uppy trailer I could find that was light enough for my (daily driver) '97 Kia to tow...

I'll bet you're going to love your new little home-away-from-home!

Francesca
Old 10-10-2011, 04:16 PM   #81

Your camper is a cutie! I love the awning, back storage, and the roll out windows too!

We paid $2,750. I dont think he realized how popular they are. An older gentleman and he only tried to sell it by placing a for sale sign in the window of the camper in his driveway, on a dead end street. We did find a couple of small leaks around the window seal during the rain today. Guess I can get away from leaks. Gonna have to replace the window seal I guess.

The neat thing is, I also went in my old camper during the heavy rain today and not a single leak!
Old 10-10-2011, 05:46 PM   #82

Vintage RV Owners Club
$2750.00 ??? For a 2000 Scamp with a clean Title??????
Oh, man- You could turn it around for twice that right this minute!
Congratulations, you Bargain Hunter, you!

And your project camper has stopped leaking, too?
Can I move into it?
I want to live under the same Lucky Stars you do!

Francesca

P.S.

What seals are leaking in the Scamp?
The ones on the glass panes, or between the window frame and the body?

F.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #83

Oh, thank you! Thats nice to know about the price. I saw a lot of Scamps much older than this one that sold for a lot more on line, but I still doubted myself because I didnt want to turn loose of the money. LOL
I think it was just pure luck on finding it because I wasnt looking very hard.

It's in really good shape other than the few things I have found with seals. New tires, solid floor, and interior looks just like it came from the factory.

It's the front and rear window seals. They are both pexiglass solid windows. Not the sliders like on the sides widows. Both were letting a few drops in during the rain yesterday. I think the window seals need to be replaced, but Im not sure. Both have a split in the seal and thats where it leaks. I dont know if the split is made that way or if it was caused due to age. The door seal also needs to be replaced and I have already contacted Scamp and got a price of 8 bucks for that seal, which i will order today.

Any thoughts on the pexiglass window seals?

Would love to see some interior pics of your camper!
Old 10-11-2011, 12:10 PM   #84

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi again-
I'll get some interior pics up when I get a chance!

Meanwhile, about your leaks:
I'm hoping your rubber's still in good shape and you're not contemplating full gasket replacement- that would involve removing the whole window!
Here are my thoughts on stopping the leak at the seam.
Scamp "full-plexi" windows are installed using a two piece rubber gasket.
If you've only noticed leakage at the "join", I think you can seal that part of it up.
There's a "lock strip" portion that pushes into a channel on the main gasket after the window's in place.
Most folks recommend sealing the last few inches near the main seam with a black windshield sealant like the one at this link
Permatex 81158 3 Ounce Black Adhesive Sealant #u319731 at HardwareAndTools.com
I think you could pull the lockstrip out a few inches, apply the sealant, and push the strip back in.
It's much easier to do if you have a lockstrip tool (pictured)- could be a good investment in case of future problems or projects.

Amazon.com: Lisle 47000 Windshield Locking Strip Tool: Automotive

I'm posting this video to give you a picture of the gasket arrangement, and how to use the lockstrip tool.
(Scamps are almost identical to the old Bolers like the one in this video. The fellow's using a Scamp Gasket!)

Hope this helps!

Francesca