Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2011, 02:56 PM   #85

Very helpful! Thank you! Yeah, it's only leaking at the joint. I think i will just put some sealant in it for now. If that works, I think I can hold off for some years on replacing the entire seal. I will definitely go ahead and get the tool.

We're going camping this weekend and we are very excited about it! My wife hasnt camped since she was a child so I am looking forward to seeing how much she will enjoy it.

Deep in my mind though, I know I need to get started working on my oldie again. It's something I know that I cannot give up on!
bicklebok is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2011, 03:41 PM   #86

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's the spirit!
Sometimes I think folks get so wrapped up in working on their rigs that they forget why they bought 'em in the first place

I'd do exactly what you propose- a bit of sealant may do the trick!
If not, worry about it later...

And here's a bit of encouragement about your other project...Trailers in the size range of yours are hot as pistols, too!
It was seeing this trailer disappear after three days on a local "For Sale" lot that started me thinking about fixing up my old Shasta.
Brace yourself before you look at the asking price- and it sold for that, too!

And the "restoration" was, in my opinion, far from perfect...

Have fun on your Scamp "Maiden Voyage"!

Francesca
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink Trailer 001.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	311.6 KB
ID:	14624   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pink Trailer 003.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	14625  

Francesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #87

Oh my! It is cute, but I never guessed an old camper would bring that much. I better get busy on mine! LOL

I have another question but Im not sure if your camper is the same. Was there some kind of plastic snap on cover that went over the rivet heads on the exterior when new? I see some rusty rivet heads in a few places on the Scamp. Would be nice to have them covered with a white circular cover.
Old 10-11-2011, 06:55 PM   #88

Vintage RV Owners Club
That's one design difference between your trailer and mine!
The first-generation Trilliums all have the interior fixtures fiberglassed to the shell- it's one way they found to increase the rigidity of the whole unit.
Except for grills/lights, there aren't any rivets penetrating the skin.
Scamp does use rivets to hold cupboards etc. on- I'm pretty sure they sell the little caps to cover them, too.

Francesca
Old 10-16-2011, 05:38 PM   #89

After a wonderful weekend of camping in the newer camper, I was finally able to at least pick up a hammer and do something to the vintage camper. I have to "build" in my head many times before I actually do the work because I am so carprentry disabled. LOL I am almost to the point of framing up the wall again. The picture is of the floor at the very back of the camper.

Edit: That's the wrong picture, but Im on a laptop which is hard to use for me. Will correct the pic tomorrow. Night yall!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper 100811.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	14845  
Old 10-18-2011, 12:01 PM   #90

Vintage RV Owners Club
Hi!

Question about this picture:
Is the corrugated aluminum the inside surface of the outside wall?
And is that the ceiling surface we can see?
Looks like it's got some kind of coating on it- is that right?

Thanks!

Francesca

P.S.

Did you take the other Fleet Trailer "The Scamp" camping?
How did it go??????

F.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:36 PM   #91

That's correct. Its the corner where the roof meets the side wall. But I'm not sure if the roof has a coating on it. It is a different color though. I will check it next time I work on it.

I did get to spend a few minutes yesterday and today working on the old camper, but it's slow go.

The challenge I have now is that back wall is not a straight wall. It has lots of bends and I am having to frame up for the paneling. Very unique how the end of the roof meets the wall back there. When I get to working on it I will take pics. Luckily a piece of the rotted wood in that spot was well enough for me to gently take it out and trace a new pattern to cut and put back in.

The camping trip went well! So well we are going back this weekend. Maybe I can post a couple of pics tomorrow. (If you were on facebook you could see them!!! hint hint) I will say this though. We packed a lot of stuff for the first trip and once we got to the camp site we couldnt find anything! Tempers flared a little in tight quarters looking for stuff! LOL And somehow, the wife had accidentally placed the toothpaste in the ice cooler which caused a little controversy when we couldnt brush our teeth!

How about you? Any trips planned?
Old 10-19-2011, 06:55 AM   #92

Maiden camping voyage

Here are a couple of pics from this past weekend.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	first camping trip in scamp.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	114.1 KB
ID:	14916   Click image for larger version

Name:	First camping trip in scamp2.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	14917  

Old 10-19-2011, 10:10 AM   #93

Vintage RV Owners Club
Some fun!
I had to laugh about the "organization wars"...goes on here from time to time.
I have to say that if I ever put anything except beer in the cooler, it'd be found by "cocktail hour"
I'll bet you discovered the #1 rule of the Tiny Trailer, though:
Only one person can be walking around at any time, right?

My next trip is in November- I'm going to Eastern Washington to get some aspen cuttings and I'll be drycamping at Twin Lakes near Odessa.
It's gonna be cold, but at least there's noyt much wind that time of year!

Keep us up to date on the camper!

Francesca
Old 10-19-2011, 02:18 PM   #94

That one person walking rule will have to be put in place! We were both standing in front of the sink trying to reach over each other to find stuff. Thats when things got a little sour. And we had an 80 pound dog in the floor. We're adding my 13 year old daughter to the trip this weekend, so it should get even more challenging!

I will post some updates on the old camper soon. I worked on it a little last night but I wont be able tonight. Wifeey is getting me more and more involved with church.

You will have to take a lot of pics for us on your next trip!
Old 10-19-2011, 02:48 PM   #95

Vintage RV Owners Club

Did you say "13 yr. old daughter"?

You are in serious trouble, my friend!
You just lost any rights you and your wife may have had as far as the space in the trailer is concerned!
Here's an inside pic of the WHOLE BACK HALF of my Trillium on a recent trip to California with my 11 yr. old granddaughter.

Name:	California Trip 2011 255.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	238.4 KB
ID:	14921

And my trailer's a little bigger than yours....you'll be lucky if you can even bring the toothpaste, let alone find it!

Francesca
Old 10-20-2011, 07:43 AM   #96

Funny! Looks like you lost the "master bedroom" on that camping trip to your grandaughter! She took over the big bed and living space!
Old 10-24-2011, 09:20 AM   #97

When I first started gutting the rotten wood, I carefully pulled out one rotten special fit piece and traced it on to a new piece of plywood. Yesterday I cut out the pattern and that's a pic of me test fitting it. Been so busy lately I havent had as much time to work on it, but I do try to spend a few minutes doing something to it when I can. A little at a time and I will get there!

I have already figured out how to get more light in the camper when we lose daylight hours, and I have the heat figured out for the winter when i'm working on it! Hmmmm, maybe I need a tv too!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper102411.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	51.5 KB
ID:	15024  
Old 10-25-2011, 03:42 AM   #98

Does anyone know what material I need to use to reseal this outside trim? I have had to take it loose because I will have to add new screws for the interior wall frame.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	camper 102511.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	43.0 KB
ID:	15044