Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-14-2017, 07:09 PM   #1

Question New member/new to me Rig 1976 GMC

My father passed away, so, I now own an old 1976 GMC. I think it might be a Midas, but I can't seem to find the model anywhere.I looked on door panel etc.

She is nice on the inside, I like it because it isn't all compressed board cabinets, but real wood. I want to change a few things, but for some reason I'm very attached and I want to rebuild her. Needs a new roof, probably side wood etc. So, it will be...an endeavor, but I love her, so... Onward!

Anyway, how else can I find out what model and also, I need to do roof, over cab bunk and inside roof. If I can't make it all before rains, is there an order I can do that will allow me to continuously work, in stages so I don't have to go back/re-do?? For instance, if I start with roof, do I have to do cab bunk, too, at same time for ease? And once roof is done, will that affect the sides needing work?

Hope that makes sense.

Here is a pic. I'm stripping her down to repaint, so exterior is "meh" for now.

Thanks,

Melanie
EthelVessel is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-14-2017, 08:29 PM   #2

My condolences on the passing of your father. It would be great if you got the motorhome all fixed up in his memory so I hope you succeed. As for the how to's I'll leave that to the experts. Welcome to iRV2.
60sumtin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 08:59 PM   #3

Congrats! My wife and I just began our journey with a 1977 Chevy class C. Is the rig in mechanically sound condition? It seems like to me the roof would be the place to start, because no other repairs are going to last with a leaky roof on top. Btw, I see no pic!
Old 09-15-2017, 10:03 AM   #4

Sorry about your loss, but glad you found your way here for help.

What you probably have, is what we would call a Midas/GMC. GMC only supplied a chassis that Midas built the coach on it. Your picture did not come through.

About the coach (this is the harder part to deal with), keep searching for websites and groups that cover the same coach. Just fire up a search engine and go at it. These groups are all over, there may abe some here, as well as at Yahoo and Facebook.

There may be manuals for the internal appliances available as well, but that will probably take a couple of evenings of search engine time as well. There is a lot out there.

About the chassis, as it is a GMC, it is probably a P3X (P thirty - something) if you can find out what, getting parts as service will be easier. One problem that my be an issue is that the GM that built that no longer exists (remember the bankruptcy?), but aftermarket is still pretty good. When you find out what it is, get all the service manuals you can. You may not know what to do with them, but if you can find someone to help you, he should.

The thing about a chassis that is that old, is that vehicles of that period required more regular maintenance than do modern vehicles. So, get into the books and make sure it gets done or the damage can be expensive.

One kind of damage has already happened, and that is age. All the rubber parts are going to fail at some time. Please trust me on this one, I mean all the rubber, not just tires, but coolant hoses, brake hoses, other rubber brake parts, belts and door seals. This is usually not expensive, but it is a real pain to do and you can probably do it all yourself and save a lot of money and also learn a lot while doing it. Also, if the brake system has not been flushed, this would be a good time to do that. Brake fluid is only good for about eight years, and coolant only about five.

Can a coach this old be reliable??
I sure hope so, we are about a thousand miles away from home in a 1974 Cayo Motorvator.

Frank
F76Marion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 02:40 AM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New

Sorry about your loss.

As a former owner of a couple of GMC coach's ('78 Royale Center Kitchen being the latest), there are a number of clubs you can join, and a great number of different web sites to search for GMC information. The GMC was a unique coach built from '73 thru '78 with about 12,000 total built and believe it or not, there's still about 9,000 still on the road. Parts availability is also NOT a problem......a lot of sites offer either NOS, used, rebuilt or remanufactured parts to cover just about anything you can think of.

I'd suggest looking up GMCmotorhomeinfo/ . This site will give you some valueable info and suggestions as to where to find 'things'.

A couple of other places would be Applied GMC, on the West Coast..Jim Kanomata is one of the best sources around for parts/service or just helpful info. Another great source would be Cooperative Motor Works in Florida....Jim Bounds is also a great source to search. Both of these guys would be willing to help and either would give you some expert advise. Cinnabar Engineering in Michigan is also a great source.

If you would just Google GMC Motorhome, I think you'd be amazed as to the number of place that will come for you to search for info.

The GMC was ( and still is ) probably one of the best looking and best riding coach's around and was way ahead of its time in the way of styling, design & engineering.

Anyway, good luck with your, new to you, toy. Have fun and drive carefully.
FMCA # F26083
fluffyms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:57 AM   #6

Thor Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Welcome to irv2.com . My condolences for your father. You have a unique RV. Please post some pics. Get it fixed up and relive the memories.
Old 09-20-2017, 07:01 AM   #7

Your picture seems to have disappeared, but I remember your MH as a Class C, and "Maybe a Midas". We had 1976 Midas labelled as a GMC Mini Motorhome and sold in dealerships alongside the big, Class A front wheel drive GMC motorhomes. Our chassis was also branded GMC instead of Chevrolet. Regardless, these chopped van chassis were related to Chevrolet step vans and parts can be found here: https://www.millsupply.com/
2005 Safari (Monaco)Trek 28RB2, Workhorse W20, 8.1, Allison 1000 5 spd, UltraPower engine & tranny, Track bars & sway bars, KONI FSD, FMCA 190830, Safari Int'l. chapter. 1999 Safari Trek 2830, 1995 Safari Trek 2430, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags