Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Old 03-31-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
new member - old trailer

Hello all from Victoria BC

I've had several trailers over the past 25 years including a brand new one purchased in October 2009, which is now gone along with the woman who wanted it

In my new life, I bought an oldie which brings along new problems of rot and repair which I intend to do myself as a challenge and to learn. So hence my reason for joining up here and humbly asking for advice. With a little luck I may learn something along the way that I can pass on.

Spring has sprung, the grass has riz, I wonder where the leaking is

copperjohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Welcome to irv2 forums! You might obtain better responses if you request a moderator move this to the vintage trailer board, where those familiar with rebuilding camping trailers are found.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert theConstitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
How old is the trailer? If it is 20 years old ir would go under the Vintage RV Owners group. Lots of help there.

Welcome to iRV2

Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|Full-Time! - 2012 6.7L Ford Crew Cab Dually -2013 HitchHiker Champagne 38RLRSB - Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
Its a 1983 so 27 years old, and might not see its 28th birthday

Perhaps then one of the mods can move my thread in the general forum to the vintage section. Please and thank you.
Old 04-01-2010, 11:16 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by copperjohn View Post
Perhaps then one of the mods can move my thread in the general forum to the vintage section. Please and thank you.
Your wish is my command, sire.

Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 01:26 PM   #6
Originally Posted by NLOVNIT View Post
Your wish is my command, sire.

My kinda woman

I've copied this from the general discussion .......

I'm needing to remove and repair / reseal the front corners and front window of a trailer. I also have to replace about a 3' by 8' piece of the tin floor sheeting across the front of the unit and then put in new plywood floor over top.

The plan for the tin sheet is to try and get it underneath what already exists and then seal and rivet bringing the edges up and underneath the aluminum siding ie flashing. Everything has been removed and cleaned inside including replacing the dry rot wood frame. It all looks pretty straightforward but if there's anyone who has done this or has the know how, I'd appreciate any tips, step by step instructions, or direction to an existing thread if possible.

Anyone with any experiences with Eternabond as a sealant as compared to the grey rv putty strips or butyl ?

This all started with plans to remove an old couch and put in a permanent bed frame but the $2000 plus estimate for repairs isnt gonna happen for this old trailer. Someone already suggested gas and a match
Thanks in advance.