Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-20-2018, 05:06 PM   #1

Smile New Motor Home Owner New 1991 Beaver Contessa

We are brand new RV owners. A couple of basic questions. About starting the RV, it has brand new batteries and starter but still only starts using the starter booster, any thoughts? Any other Beaver owners out there with older models and if so what advice would you give to a couple of newbies. Thank you very much.
jdunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-20-2018, 05:34 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Are the house and starting battery brand new? My Tiffin does this but it's because I need a new starting battery but have brand new house batteries. Also the genset recharges the house batteries but not the starting batteries.
Old 05-20-2018, 05:54 PM   #3

Always need the boost to start the engine or only after sitting 1,2 or more days ?

Does your start battery have a bunch of cheap connector ends on it. Like the ones that hold the cable with 2 tiny bolts and a plate ? Like these.

They are temporary and don't do a good job conducting start amps. If you have them start by getting better ones or new cables.Click image for larger version

Name:	51Jh8NxksQL._AC_SY400_.jpeg
Views:	64
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	203594
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 07:33 PM   #4

Batteries are low

Thanks for the advice about batteries, finally had time to test them, starting batteries were low so have charger on them for the night. Another issue has popped up. Started our Onan 6300 generator tonight. It started up ran for a couple of minutes and stopped. When it started again, it sounded like started would not disengage with flywheel, made a grinding sound. Not good I fear. Will post some pictures of the interior remodel. Wife has taken all flooring out, stripped walls of old smelly wallpaper and cut out and replaced sections of floor dry rot. Long way to go; windshield needs resealed ($250.00 vs $2,300) for replacement, flooring, roof work and windows to be redone. Have to be out of our duplex by June 15th. So it goes.
Old 05-25-2018, 08:17 PM   #5

Congrats on the new to you beaver! I have a new to us 1998 Beaver Patriot and had to put in new batteries. Even with new batteries I found a drain somewhere so installed a negative cut off switch and it cranks right up now. Will find where the drain is at a later date. What engine are you running? I have a Cat 3126. I can also use the house batteries to help jump the chassis batteries to start it. I have to wait to start the motor until it preheats, but it would probably start without waiting.

We are also doing a major remodel, but don't have a deadline like you
crb478 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 12:12 AM   #6

We have the Cat 3116 engine. Have been busy all the books and manuals about how to operate every thing.
Old 05-28-2018, 05:21 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by crb478 View Post
Congrats on the new to you beaver! I have a new to us 1998 Beaver Patriot and had to put in new batteries. Even with new batteries I found a drain somewhere so installed a negative cut off switch and it cranks right up now. Will find where the drain is at a later date. What engine are you running? I have a Cat 3126. I can also use the house batteries to help jump the chassis batteries to start it. I have to wait to start the motor until it preheats, but it would probably start without waiting.

We are also doing a major remodel, but don't have a deadline like you
We are about to buy a 1998 Beaver Patriot Monticello (tomorrow).

Looking forward to seeing some of your posts. I too will be doing a ton of mods and improvements!
Roadfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
beaver