Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:21 PM   #1

'New' Motorhome '97 Newmar

Well, we've decided to sell the Gulf Stream and get something a bit bigger and with a slide. My son and I left Wed night, drove from Colorado Springs to Houston to pick up the new rig. 1997 Newmar Mountain Aire 38' gasser; so she'll be a vintage rig soon! She has 47,000mi on the Ford 460, 4spd auto, F53 chassis.
She needs major cleaning, and more than a handful of replacement lamps. But, the only 'major' issues she has are: house batts not charging while driving, fuel gauge not working, and the valve at the propane tank has a couple spots in its travel where it leaks. The engine gauges didn't work at all on the trip home ; took the velcro'd cover off the top of the dash to find a large harness unplugged from the cluster. The fuel gauge still doesn't work, will have to check the wiring or sending unit. Fuse was blown for the CB and cruise control. Some knucklehead also wired the interior courtesy light by the entry door straight to the house batteries, and the passenger side large, rear exterior light direct to the house batteries, but only if they're connected. They also wired the power steps direct to power, so they extend/retract every time the door opens/closes.
She's otherwise in very very nice condition, and she has a really nice layout. She has a wineguard satellite dish, separate ice maker, and washer/dryer as well.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2016, 10:00 PM   #2

looks pretty nice but, for me the carpet in the bath would have to go. Wish you well getting the wiring straightened out

Old 03-06-2016, 10:03 PM   #3

Congratulations!

Nice looking MH! I can see why you liked the layout, should be very comfortable.

Safe travels and have fun!

Chance
Chance31ke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #4

Carpets will be cleaned this week, will likely be replaced with wood floors in the bathroom and main area later this summer.
Headlights will be restored this week too, as well as giving her a wash/wax.
Old 03-07-2016, 07:19 AM   #5

Nice looking RV, sounds like you already have a pretty good handle on the wiring problems. On mine, thanks to its early life in the rust-belt, the cast iron pipes for the propane system were so rusted I just replaced them all. Sounds like a big job but it wasn't too bad since I just made certain the new pipes were the same length as the old. I hope your gas gauge isn't an in-tank problem.

Steve
Old 03-07-2016, 07:44 AM   #6

It has a very modern look for such an old unit. You will have many years of enjoyment. Nice find!
mbridinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:54 AM   #7

Welcome to the Newmar family. I have a 96 Mountain Aire and love it. You've found a real beauty, enjoy.
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 07:59 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbridinger View Post
It has a very modern look for such an old unit. You will have many years of enjoyment. Nice find!
Congrats man nice looking rig, big upgrade, let me know if you need help with the waxing, I have lots of experience.

The one thing I don't like is the chairs at the Dinette we prefer a booth type seating Sorry otherwise great lay out, does it have a kingsize bed or Queen?

Congrats the Boat will look good behind her,

Tim
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 08:18 AM   #9

Thanks all!
Old 03-07-2016, 08:30 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by spritz View Post
Congrats man nice looking rig, big upgrade, let me know if you need help with the waxing, I have lots of experience.

The one thing I don't like is the chairs at the Dinette we prefer a booth type seating Sorry otherwise great lay out, does it have a kingsize bed or Queen?

Congrats the Boat will look good behind her,

Tim
Thanks Tim! We're just the opposite on the dinette. Any motorhomes I saw with the booth dinette weren't even considered. We figured if we're camping and everyone gathers in our rig, the rear facing booth seats are wasted space, or those folks will be sitting in an uncomfortable position. The chairs allow for more seating/entertaining options. My folks have a 31' TT and removed the booth dinette and replaced it with a table & chairs. I considered doing the same, but my Dad told me TTs have the carpet installed before the booth, motorhomes install the booth first. So it would have been a bigger project to change the booth in a motorhome than I wanted to take on.
It has a queen size bed, which I'm happy for since I just bought the new 10" memory foam mattress for the Gulf Stream, which will be moved into the Newmar.
If you were close enough, I'd have a wax applicator with your name on it!
One thing we really love is the double pocket doors between the bedroom & bathroom. Makes the bedroom feel much larger.
Old 03-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #11

One thing that the previous owner did in my Mountain Aire was to replace the wood insert in the wooden doors on either side of the television with smoked glass so that using a remote didn't require keeping the doors open. I like the look of them as well.
Afubar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 01:55 PM   #12

Vintage RV Owners Club
That coach looks beautiful.
Old 03-07-2016, 02:00 PM   #13

Welcome to the Newmar family. I know you start enjoying your new Mountain Aire as soon as you get you issues resolved. Glad to hear you'll be replacing the carpeting in the bathroom.

Best of luck and Happy Trails!!!
Old 03-07-2016, 05:25 PM   #14

The reason I made a comment on the carpet in the bath was, because we shampooed it, and with a 5 year old grandson who's aim isn't good and his 12 year old brother who is half asleep, got the carpet smelling again in a matter of months. Will you tackle waxing the whole coach at once, or a side at a time?

Tags
motorhome, newmar