Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > Vintage RV's
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.

Old 02-29-2008, 04:00 PM   #15

Thanks so much! I'll give it a whirl with the photos.
The curtains were whipped up by Amy and my mom (grammy) out of table cloths, a grommet kit, and a surger(weird type of sewing machine).
We left them up as they make it kind of cozy. They also block anyone's view of the ceiling demolition taking place inside-lol.

I'll try out some TLC pictures:

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-01-2008, 02:32 AM   #16

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
While yer at it, I'd recommened giving everything you're keeping a good washing down with a pinesol, laundry detergent mix to remove built up dirt, and who knows what else. My rig was in fair shape, but DIRTY. It took me several buckets of water to wash every surface down.

'06 Heartland Bighorn 3400RL Fifth wheel
Follow along with me in the The Journey of
RedneckExpress is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 03:25 AM   #17

I hear you. Simple Green has been coming thru for us. I think we are well above several buckets though
Old 03-01-2008, 06:02 PM   #18

Vintage RV Owners Club
Been there, Done that..Looking Good!!!!
Wallaby Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:49 AM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Send a message via ICQ to RedneckExpress Send a message via AIM to RedneckExpress Send a message via MSN to RedneckExpress Send a message via Yahoo to RedneckExpress
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Mike & Amy:
I hear you. Simple Green has been coming thru for us. I think we are well above several buckets though </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, you've got me beat on square footage, that much I will definitely tip my hat to you on .
Old 03-02-2008, 05:22 AM   #20

Clean...demolish...clean...demolish

Getting ready to head back up to the campground for another round of demo today.

Here are some shots of the cabinets coming down. The first side(passenger) we took our time trying to bring it down in one piece. The driver's side came down a lot quicker with a hammer and crow bar

The fire outside was fueled by the old cabinets and ceiling parts.

Here is the passenger side:

Here is the driver's side:
Old 03-02-2008, 05:53 AM   #21
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Now your really getting into the rebuild looks good so far keep on plugging.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 01:32 PM   #22

Excellent job on the clickable thumbnails and on the continuing work.

I just realized that there is SNOW outside where you are doing this rebuild!!! I am presently sitting inside my house not wanting to work outside, put my new Koni shocks on, fix/re-grade some eroded areas because it is in the 40's and WINDY.

I guess I am wimping out a bit.

Keep up the good work.
Old 03-02-2008, 04:30 PM   #23

Lol- Well we wimped out today too. Didn't have the get-go we had yesterday. We did manage to get one more section of ceiling down and we got the old awning off. We left the arms on until I can bring up my grinder for a couple stubborn nuts .
The good news is that the rubber roof membrane and installation kit came in on Friday. We had also ordered an awning with new arms & hardware, which came in Friday as well.
What's everyones' thoughts on vents? There seems to be a wide variety from super cheap to super expensive. Is there a specific brand that I can feel comfortable with the quality without breaking the bank? I am going to need 2 vents with fans, 1 fridge vent, 1 plumbing vent...I think thats it.
Here are a couple shots from today. They are calling for 55 degrees tomorrow. Time to get rid of this snow!
Awning off:

Our backyard:

Snowy drive to the campground:
Old 03-02-2008, 09:07 PM   #24

Vintage RV Owners Club
I'm fairly impressed with the quality on the Elixir Brand roof vents. They're all metal (Aside from the plastic top) and are made of a bit more heavy duty sheet metal than the plastic ones. The edge is also tappered and has a large number of screw holes to more evenly suck it down and trap butyl tape between it and the roof.

They run about $40 a pop here.
Old 03-03-2008, 04:31 PM   #25

Vintage RV Owners Club
Yep those Elixir brand Vents are real good. For your power vents if one is in the bathroom I would use something like Max air, And in the home in the ceiling I would use a Fantastic vent. In mine I have a Elixir and two Fantastic vents and a 15000 btu, A/C.They make severial vent kits for the fridge. I am using MaxAir vent covers for the A/C and the power vents. Not cheap but the best! Looks like mine did about a year ago!!! Keep up the good work!!
Old 03-04-2008, 01:53 AM   #26

Thanks guys. I was able to grind off the other support arms for the old awning yesterday. I also tore out some side paneling above the stove and found the steel frame on the walls as well. I didn't have the camera so I will post more pictures next time we get up there.
Spent some time on the roof(on the edge-lol) getting all the snow pushed off. I could see the water pooling up in the center...reaffirms the arched roof idea.
Old 03-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #27

Vintage RV Owners Club
Ya know, Mine looked flat all the time. Then when they started to take off the roof I could see that they were supposed to have a slight pitch to it. when they got the rafters in and the insulation on and the sub roof, you could see the pitch. You go up there now and there is a pitch, over the years the pitch had dropped and looked flat and allowed the water to stand. They used a 1 1/2" pitch to keep from having problems with the a/c sealing up on the roof and it really doesn't take much to get the rain to run off.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:50 AM   #28

Sounds alot like this one Capt. Dan. Looks like the steel crossmembers are about an inch low...and that is with my temporary support relieving some pressure.
Well we were able to get into our work bay today. As you can see it has an awesome place for us to take pictures of the roof. I would have preferred to back it in(to point the door into the middle bay), but I needed a running start to get it up the icy incline into the bay. I tried to get a running start in reverse and decided that taking out the building was not a good idea .
Here are some shots of yesterday's progress.

Liguid rubber is literally everywhere except where the leaks are-lol:

Taking out the antenna: